Cannabis on JPR

Bernie Sanders would legalize marijuana within his first 100 days in office

• Author

eridani
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 3,577
    @eridani

Bernie Sanders would legalize marijuana within his first 100 days in office

Sanders’ plan, released at 4:20 on Thursday, is promised to go into effect within the first 100 days of his presidency should he be elected, would legalize marijuana with executive action, vacate and expunge all past marijuana-related convictions, ensure that revenue from legal marijuana is reinvested in communities most affected by the War on Drugs, and ensure that Big Tobacco is not involved in any way.

The idea to legalize marijuana is part of Sanders’ bigger plan of massive criminal justice reform and ending institutional racism in the country.

“Too many lives were ruined due to the disastrous criminalization of marijuana. Today I am releasing my plan to: Legalize marijuana with executive action, expunge past marijuana convictions, invest in communities most affected by the War on Drugs,” Sanders tweeted.

If enacted, Sanders’ plan would follow California’s model of reviewing federal and state marijuana convictions, resentencing incarcerated individuals. When California legalized marijuana the state partnered with the nonprofit Code for America to help expedite the expungement process. Sanders plans to follow a similar process.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.