Cannabis on JPR

Home Cannabis on JPR

Off to the dispensary this AM

• elias39 (3098 posts)
    Profile photo of elias39 Donor

Off to the dispensary this AM

to get some cannabis salve for external application. I have nasty joint pain in my hands and elbows. And knees. It will be interesting to see if the salve works. They sell trans-dermal patches, too, but my pain is too widespread to put a patch on it. This should be interesting. Ben Gay and stuff like that really doesn’t do much for me. I hope the salve does.

Will report back on cost and efficacy.

Enthusiast, NJOCK, Haikugal and 6 othersElfinWilde, jwirr, Doremus Jessup, Silver Witch, Jan Boehmermann, KarenS like this
    “Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
11 replies
  • Silver Witch (4713 posts)
    Profile photo of Silver Witch Donor

1. Try the…

Ratie Blue rubbing oil. I use it for my wrist which I broke in July does not make you high at all but stops the pain!!!  At my store it was 20 for the small bottle. Lasted me weeks. Got the 2 oz for 40 cause they were having a sale.

I use it at night so I can sleep pain free.  My sister uses some lemon drop candies that are for pain only.  She stopped taking her hydrcodene and she says they don’t make you high.

Now I know why big Pharma likes it to be illegal!!

#Let'sTalkRevolution
    • elias39 (3098 posts)

2. I'll look for it. Sounds promising.

“Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing
    • PADemD (917 posts)
      Profile photo of PADemD Donor

3. Does the oil alleviate joint swelling, too?

Yesterday, my arthritic finger was so painful, it woke me up.

5. I am not sure about that PADemD.

I only know it stops the pain and swelling is part of the pain. My sister is trying acupuncture for inflammation. I willlet you know if it works.

#Let'sTalkRevolution
      • hopemountain (1915 posts)
        Profile photo of hopemountain Donor

7. every now and then i get those hard lumps

around a joint – very painful. the last one was at that first thumb joint. even the tip of my thumb was becoming numb from the inflammation and loss of circulation. it finally stopped being so painful after 4 nights of rubbing the oil around the swollen joint. it hurt to do so – but i wanted to break up the crystals that had accumulated there (similar to gout). at first only the pain was lessened – but gradually, the swelling did go down. my thumb is fine now – hardly any discernible numbness and i can once again operate a manual can opener.

my oil was used but i have used other dispensary oils and they work, too.

"economic and environmental justice is spiritual work." ~ tom b. k. goldtooth ....
  • hopemountain (1915 posts)
    Profile photo of hopemountain Donor

4. i make my own rubbing/massage cannabis oil –

it is a more natural way of making. no chemicals or heat processing. but, it does take a couple of months and it is not for ingestion.

this is an indigenous method – for rubbing and massaging just about anywhere there is pain. this oil also works when massaged or rubbed around  but not upon areas of pain which are either bruised or too painful for touch. do not use on open wounds or incisions or internally.  if the skin is sensitive to the oil/cannabis, instead, rub/massage the oil into the souls of the feet or inside the wrist – or around the outside of the pain area.

if applying to joints or a large area, cover with cotton cloth or t-shirt – or socks. yes, it smells – but when i am in pain, i don’t care. for me, personally, it works within a half hour. also, the longer i use this treatment or remedy over time, the less it is required later on down the road.

-cannabis rubbing or massage oil remedy for pain- (not recommended for ingestion)

1 cup cannabis plant material (leaves, a few buds, some stems) – mash it all into a jar. some people put it through a grinder. put all of it into a 16 oz glass jar. fill the jar with organic olive or organic avocado oil.cover tightly.

set in dark covered cabinet or box for at least 2 full moons. during this time, shake jar or turn and set upside down a couple of times per week. do not open the jar during this time.

after setting time, empty contents into a cheese cloth lined sieve (3-4 layers) set over a 4 cup pyrex measuring bowl. let the oil naturally seep out for at least a couple of days.

pour oil into smaller glass jars and cover with dropper caps. refrigerate or freeze. you should have enough for a year.

one can also use a gin or vodka or mescal to soak the cannabis material for the rubbing or massage remedy. same couple of months setting. NOT recommended for ingestion of either the oil or alcohol remedy because the cannabis material may not be clean enough and there is no way to determine dosage.

(some people only use leaves and buds. but i add a bit of the stem because that is how my late husband’s grandma used to make her remedy. i try to remain true to the thousands of year old traditional methods.)

"economic and environmental justice is spiritual work." ~ tom b. k. goldtooth ....

6. Wow. Thanks Hopemountain.

I am going to give this a go. I have made my own tinctures in years past. Perhaps now it the time for my own oil.

#Let'sTalkRevolution
  • Jan Boehmermann (3404 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

8. Does the cannabis salve work?

I am wondering how a cannabis salve can work (applied topically).

I’ve never tried it.  So I’m eager to hear your report.  Yes/No?!!

• elias39 (3098 posts)

10. I haven't had a good 'test pain site' you might say.

I’ve spent the last week in a dawn to dusk snow and ice removal drill. I hurt everywhere and there simply isn’t enough salve. What I’m hoping(?) for is a neck spasm or a tendinitis. Something I can address objectively.

I DID work a small amount into my hands – like I was moisturizing – hoping it would help with my fingers and wrists. Didn’t seem to be effective. The stuff is hard to work with as well. It comes in a small round tin. 2OZ tin, $55. It’s HARD in the tin. Made in a base of beeswax and – ach – already forgot. I have to kind of gouge out sliver and warm it in my hands to spread.

So, essentially, I’m not yet impressed but it’s early.

(BTW I had the same concerns about absorbability or osmosis. I was told it wasn’t the best delivery method – that patches were more effective – but that anecdotes were positive.)

• NJOCK (395 posts)
    Profile photo of NJOCK Donor

9. Sending some good vibes out to you

I hope it works and I am eager to hear the results too. Best wishes!

I would love to go legally pick up some cannabis but my govenor (Cuomo) recently called it a gateway drug!!!! Seriously. He outright lied.

Tell me again how I live in a liberal state?

“The first revolution is when you change your mind about how you look at things, and see there might be another way to look at it that you have not been shown. What you see later on is the results of that, but that revolution, that change that takes place will not be televised.” -Gil Scott-Heron
    • Enthusiast (7847 posts)
      Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

11. I see Cuomo as a corporate Democrat.

His loyalty is to the pharmaceutical industry.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church