Cannabis on JPR

Home Cannabis on JPR

Quarter of American Beer Drinkers Say They’re Switching to Pot (or would like to

• N2Doc (2795 posts)
    Profile photo of N2Doc Donor

Quarter of American Beer Drinkers Say They’re Switching to Pot (or would like to

Jennifer Calfas
    Mar 17, 2017

As legalization of marijuana grows throughout the United States, so does its popularity with beer drinkers.

About one in four Americans are now spending their money on marijuana instead of beer, new research from Cannabiz Consumer Group found. Twenty-seven percent of beer consumers are legally purchasing cannabis instead of beer, or suggested they would purchase it instead if it were legalized in their state. The research group surveyed 40,000 Americans last year.

About 24.6 million Americans legally purchased pot in the U.S. last year and that number is expected to grow, according to the study. Numerous states have legalized marijuana for medical purposes, and a smaller number of states have legalized it for recreational use. The Department of Justice under the Obama Administration relaxed federal enforcement of marijuana laws in states where it is legal, but the Trump Administration may reverse that trend.

more

http://time.com/money/4705155/beer-marijuana-pot/

Enthusiast, Pastiche, Scuba and 5 othersAbelenkpe, elias39, dreamnightwind, Jan Boehmermann, Punxsutawney like this
    "But nothing ever changes unless there's some pain" - Tears For Fears "Goodnight Song"

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
11 replies
  • Jan Boehmermann (2802 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

1. I don't think legalization has hurt the micro-breweries in Colorado.

But the producers of “cheap swill” beer have probably lost sales.

• Punxsutawney (792 posts)
      Profile photo of Punxsutawney Donor

2. I agree with this.

I know of a micro brewer here in the Portland area that doesn’t seem worried. In fact he makes a personal beer that is..uh…spiked so to speak. He’d lose his brewing license in half a second if anyone figured out what he is doing.

The overall health of this country would improve immensely if people cut down on their alcohol use and switched to cannabis.

To neoliberals, everyone and everything are disposable. -  Chris Hedges
      • FanBoy (7112 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

7. I have to say that covert 'spiking' of any consumer product is not a

good idea for multiple reasons.

8. It was for personal use.

For him and close friends! Not for sale or to be given away.

• FanBoy (7112 posts)
            Profile photo of FanBoy

10. thanks for that; i was worried a bit. i missed the "personal" in your post

I guess

11. No problem

And to be clear, if someone gave me any kind of “spiked” food or drink with out full details of what was in it prior to consumption, I would be furious!

• HassleCat (451 posts)
    Profile photo of HassleCat

3. Pot could be just the thing in tense times.

Beer, like other forms of alcohol, tends to become a habit.  People under pressure drink more and more over time, and suffer bad health effects. Of course, smoking pot is not without risks, but it is relatively “safer” when compared to alcoholism, violent behavior, etc. that can accompany drinking.  Not to mention actual alcoholism, which can outright kill you.

If somebody clues Trump to the number of his supporters who smoke pot, he may think twice about letting Sessions revive the federal war on hemp.

4. The health risks with pot are associated with SMOKING.

And even smoking pot is not as dangerous as alcohol.

But you don’t have to SMOKE cannabis.  There are edibles, drinkables, tinctures, capsules, vaping…….

• HassleCat (451 posts)
        Profile photo of HassleCat

5. Most of the people I know choose to smoke.

Habit, I guess. They only smoke one joint a day, so they probably figure the risk is low.  It’s legal here.

6. Most people smoke pot because legal edibles are not available in their state.

But there are some “old timers’ who like the taste and convenience of a joint or pipe.   And vaping just does not deliver that taste.

The point is, the anti-cannabis propaganda folks use the unhealthiest form of cannabis delivery (smoking) in all of their health risk statistics.

9. And interestingly

There have been a number of studies now, I think the latest out of Canada that shows that heavy cannabis smokers actually have the lowest rates of lung cancer. Lower than non smokers, and infrequent users.

There are other side effects though.