Cannabis on JPR

Home Cannabis on JPR

Roses are red……..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
18 replies
  • Silver Witch (4702 posts)
    Profile photo of Silver Witch Donor

1. We have liberal pot laws here in California as well….

Come join us here!  It is warm, beautiful and NO snow.

#Let'sTalkRevolution
    • LuckyDog (640 posts)
      Profile photo of LuckyDog

2. Have you been in the Sierra lately?

I think it’s a snowmaggedon up there.  Word is that most high passes won’t open until June or later.  And we still have a couple of months left to the rainy/snow in the Sierra season.

I am somewhat inconvenienced as I am a flyfisherman and this time of year usually start tying new flies and planning early trips to some of my spring favorite spots.  Not this year for a while at least.

Not to highjack this thread but I just got a couple clones to put out in the yard in about 6-7 weeks.  I got tw indica girls as my hybrids last year were a disappointment.

A disturbing side note to legalization here is that I am noticing individual town and city governments are passing local ordinances in defiance of the state law.  They are moving to block any cultivation or outlets or public use in these places.  It’s disturbing to think like in olden times users will have to go outside their own community to buy cannabis then smuggle it in to places like Danville and San Ramon.  Like bootleggers in Prohibition times.  Reactionary motherfuckers.  Imagine what those kids are going to conclude about government in their hometowns.

7. Lucky Dog what a great post.

I visit my sister in Desert Hot Springs and there has been snow on the surrounding mountains for months.  It is wonderful. The drive home is a bounty of poppies and green hillsides. I think that is what I love most about California is the variety of landscape and beauty.

I bet you “girls” do great this year with the influx of water.

I think local governments are trying to control home growers because they loose taxes income. It is all about the money with politicians.

#Let'sTalkRevolution
        • LuckyDog (640 posts)

8. Well, Silver Witch

I have a big sun exposure yard where they will be in the 7 gallon nursery pots right behind my tomato plants and corn.  I get a glorious amount of sunlight from about 9 a.m. to at least 5 p.m. back there in summer.  As you know, we won’t see rain again (if this rainy season ever ends up here) until next fall and man, we get lots of 95 degree days every summer.  That should begin in April and go to November when the sun again moves to provide our winters.  I have to give them a little drink every day.

You know I understand your point about following the money but with these oppressive new city ordinances I think it is more quasi religious reactionaries that are pushing this.  Some people can’t handle freedoms and therefore assume that everyone else follows that suit.  I’m pretty sure they are still obsessed with reefer madness induced madness and regard cannabis as a gateway drug to hard drugs.

Funny that, as it was a gateway drug for me actually, it was the gateway to get off alcohol in 1975 and the gateway to quit smoking cigs in 1997.  So there’s that.  That was damn good news to see the DEA removed some of the onerous language, I believe on this exact point from the official marijuana website they sponsor.  We just have to look at Portugal’s success in coming up with a more sane drug policy overall.

Cannabis will get you through times with no money better than money will get you through times with no cannabis.

10. Please make this an OP

Two things I agree with the religious fanaticism. Zealotry is a huge isdues in this county. Since we are founded,based so to speak, on crazy religious zealots who landed here and destroyed the natives I am not surprised.

Repression of humanity is the ideal for those who a zealots. Whether it is repressing sex or pot they thrive on the concept that humans are SINNERS that must be controlled.

Second point have you heard of the megastores of the late 1800 here in California?  I think we might be experiencing that type of phenomenon. I will look for the article. It is amazing.  So you may have more rain than you think you might this year.

Do you have rain barrels??

#Let'sTalkRevolution
            • LuckyDog (640 posts)

12. Good morning Silver Witch

Thanks for the suggestion and praise, but I am just a dumb Irish fisherman originally from Wisconsin without a clue.  I have lived here in California for the last 40 years or so.  I rant and rave on this website as an outlet so as not to totally annoy my wife.  She is much more reserved than I am.

My anti-religious zealotry stems no doubt from early Catholic attempts to brainwash me.  I rebelled vigorously at what I perceived as oppression at an early age causing great anguish for my mom and grandfather, who after I got asked not to come back to the Catholic high school I had to attend and help pay for, both decided I would go to the seminary.  Yes, a seminary.  They refused to let me go to the public school In our neighborhood and more or less bullied me to go to the seminary to save face for them.  I lasted about 7 weeks and got kicked out of the seminary and had to grovel back at the Catholic high school to re-accept me, expulsion notwithstanding.

Now you have to understand I was a devout little boy at first, altar boy, etc., in grade school but man, when puberty hit and a social consciousness developed in me it was all she wrote.  At least we didn’t have a scourge of pedophile priests in our parish.  I left early, that school, my family, my home town, first when I dropped out and came to the Haight just before the Summer of Love, which is having its 50- year anniversary this year here in the Bay Area.  I flitted back and forth to WI a few times in the seventies but finally settled permanently here in the Bay Area.

No, I don’t have rain barrels but we live next to a creek.  It gets hairy during these storms and this next one on Monday looks gruesome.  Won’t get much sleep tonight I suppose.  Still, I will take the occasional too wet winter here over what Wisconsin winters are like.  Being essentially snowed in for months on end with life threatening conditions outside if you don’t protect against it is not my cup of tea.  Seriously, it’s like living on the moon for 5 or 6 months every year.

Ha! I have an essay about Wisconsin winters I wrote for a creative writing class a few years ago.  Mind you this class of mostly native Californians thought I was joking when I read it to them.  The one that was from Michigan understood and agreed it was accurate and laughed along with me.  Funny, as I wrote it I thought people won’t believe this, and everything I describe in it is true.

I should get that out of mothballs and see what you think.  It’s fun.  I have to get out my old infected laptop out and try to download it for ya.  Maybe I’ll PM you so as not to  horrify folks here that have never lived in that climate.  I digress.  Ah, to have one’s ADD run rampant before starting the duties of another day.  We are having dinner guests tonight as the storm approaches and there is work to do.

Don’t give up the struggle, Silver Witch, yours is another valuable voice on this site.

LD

14. Oh noooo you should totally share that WI Winter essay…

I was raised in California and moved to West Virginia with my husband for  a few years in my 40’s and goddess those winters.  I would watch the bundled children waiting for the bus or walking to school in snow to their hips and could only think it was child abuse.  The horrors of winter drove me to DC which has less severe winters save the occasional Snowmaggodon (which were a joke compared to WV), but 5 years ago I announced to my husband I was returning to California and I would love him to come with me…earthquakes terrify him, but not as much as potentially dying in the snow horrified me.  So thankfully we returned to sunny San Diego.  I adore it and wonder why anyone would live anywhere else.  The sun…the beauty….the freedom!!!  I did have a friend in DC that laughed when people ran about squealing about the snow…she too was from WI the stories she would tell curled a bodies hair – so I would love to read your essay!

Thankfully LuckyDog I was raised by non-religious family and never had to endure the horror of church.  I did try it for a few years on my own – as rebels often do – in an attempt to understand it…but the whole god creation is completely un/incomprehensible to me.  He seems so very cruel and heartless…saving some and letting others die.  I do of course respect the earth and see her as the ultimate “god” were there ever to be one.  I am feel for those who had to find their way out of religion since it is so very prevalent in our country and one must of course leave much behind when they walk away – not to mention the unconscious knowing it might be right that God is so cruel and unforgiving and will caste a person to some horrible place for daring to walk-away.

Hope the creek holds and please post your story!!!  We could totally use a good break around here from the politics which are make us all quite insane!!

#Let'sTalkRevolution
                • LuckyDog (640 posts)

17. Okay, I found it and have it ready to post.

It might be too long for a message board but I’ll try.  Burying it here in the cannabis JPR forum might be a good place to put it to see if folks read it.  It’s just a spontaneous send up for a writing class but they liked it.  Do you write?  That would be nice if you could post an essay or something too.  Migrate to the reader’s and writers forum?  Not so much now that I think of it.  That place is deader than a graveyard.  Okay, hope this isn’t too long:

Winter

One of my very first memories is of a hissing steam radiator heater in our
                  second floor apartment on the floor in the living room. We lived on the
                  corner above a drugstore across Randall Ave. from the Civil War era cannon
                  memorial at the north end of Camp Randall Stadium in Madison. It was a busy
                  corner for traffic so close to the large bustling UW campus and the diesel
                  sound of busses accelerating around it was another early memory. And of
                  course, the cold and snow of a Wisconsin winter. Or rather, as it has
                  become known to NFL fans, the Land of the Frozen Tundra.

Madison winters were an ongoing exercise in survival. The winters are so
                  harsh for at least four months, sometimes six, that being anywhere out of
                  doors is potentially life-threatening. It is like our imagining life in
                  Siberia or living on the moon. Special precautions must be taken to avoid
                  injury or even death outside in those frozen environs. When venturing
                  outdoors every part of your body must be protected from the chill and wind,
                  except your eyes and mouth. Even those areas require special care in that
                  icebox, necessitating lip balms for cracking and chapping and polarized
                  sunglasses for glare, especially if driving. I do not have to tell anyone I
                  am sure, how stressful it can be when you cannot see through the blowing
                  snow even with fully-flapping windshield wipers, nor when you cannot feel
                  any stoppage when you apply the brakes on the glare ice you suddenly find
                  yourself sliding upon. One tries not to run out of gas in any remote area,
                  especially in a storm.

Always a part of your daily wardrobe routine were the wool sweaters,
                  long-johns, down jackets, insulated and preferably waterproof boots, gloves
                  and warm, soft, moisture wicking fleece or wool knit caps. One cannot
                  linger or procrastinate when shivering, as one learns to do things that have
                  to be done outside, quickly, or better yet, not at all. Around the house,
                  it means water pipes need insulating to avoid freezing and bursting.
                  Survival can depend on leaving the faucets on overnight to drip just enough
                  for movement inside the pipe to prevent ice forming. Or it could mean
                  plugging in an electric blanket on the engine block of your vehicle.

This is the land of snowplows out on the middle of a frozen lake, keeping
                  the hockey and figure skating surfaces clean. Reckless thrill-seeking
                  teenagers sometimes grab the rear bumper of a moving bus to hitch an
                  exciting ride down a busy street, usually in groups or on a dare, hunched
                  over on their haunches. That ritual was called “skeeching.” Having fun in
                  the snow is a necessity for many, as otherwise it would become too
                  oppressive and they would have to, like, leave the state or something.

UW students have a tradition of grabbing cafeteria trays from the Memorial
                  Union and riding them down giant, steep Bascom Hill in a snowstorm. It
                  terminates at busy Park St., so this can be an interesting exercise when
                  intoxicated, both for the slider and the occasional driver navigating down
                  the thoroughfare. Having giant dorm vs. dorm snowball fights to break up
                  hours of monotonous studying in the library or their rooms is another common
                  wintertime diversion to spell the long hours of studying.

Getting out for a nightcap is also a tradition, especially in winter,
                  especially in that state where drinking alcohol is pursued with religious
                  fervor. This has been known to lead to problems for those left behind in a
                  diminished capacity, while ambulating toward home in a storm after bar time.
                  Freezing to death in a snowdrift while passed out drunk is one of the unique
                  hazards of going out for such a treat.

An interesting factoid is that more deer are killed accidentally by cars,
                  etc. in the state annually, than by hunters, these usually occurring during
                  inclement weather, another unique feature of living in the land of snow.

I can personally attest that putting one’s bare tongue on a cold metal
                  handrail, outdoors, in Wisconsin, in January, is not a MENSA-quality
                  impulse. Nor does one frequently or knowingly walk under icicles. Of course
                  it is usually noticeably much more slippery under said icicles, so there is
                  really no excuse for not noticing or keeping an eye out for them. They can
                  start to melt in the sun light some days enough to drip, then they can
                  re-freeze when the sun goes down. Hearing icicles dripping and then
                  dropping during the day is one of the sure early signs of spring.

Signs of spring. That is a concept that is much more astutely observed in
                  places like Wisconsin, land of the Great Wisconsin Ice Sheet. That was the
                  last glacier to retreat north at the end of the last ice age, about 18,000
                  years ago. All too often though, a late January thaw will give false hope
                  when followed by 8 more weeks of blizzards and sub-zero temps. April 18,
                  1973 was the latest I experienced a white-out storm that shut down the city.
                  That is very hard to do in winter-wise Madison. One then comes to know
                  intimately in early spring about that unique mixture of snow, sand and dirt
                  when the streets start to clear in the warming sun, or as it is known, the
                  slushy season. It seems to permeate everything. Winters can also provide
                  dramatic moments when the weather can turn so hostile so very quickly.

I once found myself needing to take a shortcut toward campus through a
                  thickly-wooded arboretum near my apartment during one memorable storm. The
                  roads were almost all closed, and public transport had shrunk to a few
                  busses following plow trucks through city streets. I was trudging along in
                  my shin-high Frye boots, leaning forward as the freezing snow clung to my
                  jeans and whipped at my face. The storm was quickly concealing the
                  topography surrounding me, and I found it harder and harder to trudge onward
                  through the now almost 2 ½ feet of accumulation. The wind chill was easily
                  at 15 degrees. I squinted toward where I knew the path was that I had to go
                  on, and then I heard a great ruckus to my right, causing me to stop suddenly
                  and in the next split nanosecond, duck.

Out from the thicket leapt several large buck-tail deer, their antlers and
                  hooves missing my own feet and forehead by inches as they galloped past,
                  over and around me. I could see their frenzied breathing and felt their
                  stomping hooves. It was then all just over, quiet again but for the wind,
                  and the woods returned to the swirling snow storm. I stopped to catch my
                  breath while my racing heart pounded inside my jacket. Grateful that I
                  survived yet another hazard of the frozen north, I continued on toward my
                  date in town.

I seek not to frighten you dear reader, with these images of harsh
                  environments, talking about places where people live and risk their lives
                  with great inconvenience and discomfort. I come in peace from the frozen
                  north.

18. And what in heavens name do I wear if I am allergic to Wool…

which I am….

This is excellent – now I have to find one of my essays and type it up to post.  Is there a writers forum…I have to go find it and we must give it BIRTH@!!

#Let'sTalkRevolution
            • LuckyDog (640 posts)

13. Forgot to respond

to your 1800s Cal megastorm citation.  Yes, I have learned about those and the time the entire Central Valley and Sacto were under about 12 feet of water for about a year.  There are some old photos I saw somewhere on line.

Hope it doesn’t come to that with this recurrent cycle of heavy rainy seasons, but hey you know what they say, nature bats last.

My kayak is ready if I need it.  Not much room in it for my wife and dog though.

15. Perhaps you should build a wee raft to haul behind the kayak for ….

the wife and dog!!

#Let'sTalkRevolution

California Megaflood: Lessons from a Forgotten Catastrophe

Scientific American  publications

#Let'sTalkRevolution
    • Jan Boehmermann (3369 posts)
      Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

4. I like snow…… sometimes. I like Cali ALWAYS!

Lived in Pacific Grove and area.  Love California!

• LuckyDog (640 posts)

9. Ah, Pacific Grove

the place for god Monarch Butterfly migration.  Asilomar Beach, tremendous kite flying.  I go there at least once a year.

• Sadie (3068 posts)
    Profile photo of Sadie Donor

3. And …

Sorry, I just saw what they put on the bottom.  I don’t want to offend.  Delete.  

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
    • Jan Boehmermann (3369 posts)
      Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

5. I prefer edibles but ………

….. I guess it can be smoked too. 

• Sadie (3068 posts)
        Profile photo of Sadie Donor

6. Me too

I have not smoked since I was young.  I do hear that vaping helps with immediate pain.  I eat the cannabis oil or put in my cheek for sublingual.  

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
  • Haikugal (5221 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

16. I wish!! LOL

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!