Cannabis on JPR

Home Cannabis on JPR

This New Bill Seeks to End the Federal Prohibition of Marijuana

• N2Doc (2760 posts)
    Profile photo of N2Doc Donor

This New Bill Seeks to End the Federal Prohibition of Marijuana

In the hopes of keeping Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions and the DOJ from trampling on states’ rights, congressional members Tom Garrett (R-VA) and Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) have introduced bipartisan legislation to remove marijuana from the fed’s list of controlled substances.

Called the “Ending Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2017,” this bill parallels a proposal authored by Sen. Bernie Sanders in 2015.

Per H.R. 1227, the bill would “limit the application of federal laws to the distribution and consumption of marijuana, and for other purposes; to the committee on Energy and Commerce.” Thereby removing marijuana from the Controlled Substance Act (CSA) and doing away with marijuana’s current scheduling under federal law.

If passed, H.R. 1227 would provide states the necessary authority to cultivate their own unique marijuana guidelines – minus any burdensome meddling from the federal government.

more

http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2017/03/this-new-bill-seeks-to-end-the-federal-prohibition-of-marijuana/

Enthusiast, B Calm, Pastiche and 15 othersDragon Turtle, Herman4747, cui bono, Mom Cat, mmonk, Jan Boehmermann, potisok, NV Wino, Sadie, Scuba, Phlem, Haikugal, spud demon, Downwinder, Bearian like this
    "But nothing ever changes unless there's some pain" - Tears For Fears "Goodnight Song"

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Haikugal (4799 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

1. I like the sound of this. My doctor and I had a short discussion on what's going

to happen with legalized MJ and medical MJ yesterday. He can’t give me my usual pain medication because they’re going after the doctors and penalizing them if they don’t STOP giving pain meds to anyone that doesn’t fit their very narrow definition of need. *sigh*

What does “and for other purposes” mean?

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!
    • Scuba (2810 posts)
      Profile photo of Scuba Donor

2. My doctor told me she would prescribe it for me if it were legal here, and …

… went so far as to suggest I consider moving to an MMJ state.

• Haikugal (4799 posts)
        Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

3. We passed a law to legalize here but it isn't in effect yet. His concern is that

it’s still illegal federally and he doesn’t know how it’s going to work with Trump etc. I told him about AG Sessions’ remarks and he kept asking if Trump said that and I couldn’t answer him other than Sessions works for Trump…I haven’t heard anything from Trump. Has anyone else?

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!
  • Sadie (3064 posts)
    Profile photo of Sadie Donor

4. Big pHarma

alongside the liquor industry have been lobbying for years to keep MJ criminalized.

https://www.thenation.com/article/anti-pot-lobbys-big-bankroll/

I love Tulsi. :heart:    Would love to know more about Tom Garrett.  My 6 yr old grandson has been diagnosed with Trance Myoclonic seizures and lives in Tx, where medical is still not allowed.

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
  • cui bono (926 posts)
    Profile photo of cui bono Donor

5. It's about time.

Should never have been classified as it was in the first place.

The DNC can try to squash us but we'll just come back stronger.