Car-Free Living and New Urbanism

Home Car-Free Living and New Urbanism

What is New Urbanism?

• nxylas (230 posts)
    Profile photo of nxylas

What is New Urbanism?

The principles of New Urbanism, defined by http://www.newurbanism.org/newurbanism/principles.html

1. Walkability
    2. Connectivity
    3. Mixed use and diversity
    4. Mixed housing
    5. Quality architecture and urban design
    6. Traditional neighborhood structure
    7. Increased density
    8. Green transportation
    9. Sustainability
    10. Quality of life

A more detailed explanation of each point can be found at the link.

By contrast, the same website defines sprawl as “development that is dispersed, auto-dependent, single use, and impossible to walk to your daily needs…usually located along highways and in rural areas outside urban and village centers.”

Silenttigersong, Viva la Revolution like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Demeter (5253 posts)
    Profile photo of Demeter

1. All that is nice, but it is the people who share the urban environment

that matter the most for your happiness outcome.

I grew up in Detroit. Manners were something one learned very quickly. Or else! There was one’s personal immigrant culture to retain the tribal standards, and the street culture, to see that those standards were “democratized”. And the unions probably did more than any other group to uphold American standards, in spite of widespread corruption at the highest level.

When my family moved to the suburbs of Boston, it was not only a different culture, but a very different pecking order, one that was not conducive to shared experiences, to put it nicely. You needed the extra space of large lots to keep the creeps at bay.

The same is true in rural Michigan: space makes your “eccentric” neighbors tolerable (and your dangerous ones too far away to bother you).

Unfortunately, in Ann Arbor where I live these past 20 years, there is urbanization but no urbanity; ie: suavity, courteousness, and refinement of manner. That’s because Ann Arbor is such a transient town, with the inflows and outflows of students and workers…standards cannot not be upheld, community is strangled at birth, and I’m seriously longing for the wide open spaces to get away from the jerks…Ann Arbor was a better place before the Greater Depression set in in 1999 (which has YET to be lifted, despite all the happy talk out of the Federal statisticians). The decline is not just economic, or political. It is spiritual. We don’t have a lot of murder, or even car accidents: but character assassination is rife.

America needs training in how to be a people of worth.

Obama promised a lot of transparency. It finally showed up.--downwinder
    • GeorgiaPeanut (64 posts)
      Profile photo of GeorgiaPeanut

2. Glenwood Park is a well-known New Urbanist neighborhood in Atlanta

Unfortunately, the resident evil developer of the Atlanta Metro area, Fuqua, who shoves in Suburban style developments in Urban neighborhoods, just built this monstrosity in the neighborhood; It is the same size as the new urbanist part of Glenwood Park, but is majority parking lot.

Post Removed - Your account has been flagged for review
  • Cavallo (2 posts)
    Profile photo of Cavallo

3. Maybe I don't belong becuase I have cats and love cats

Can we be on this forum if we support everything except cat free? Ah, sorry, car free. Got it.

Stein 2016