Computers and Technology

About Windows 10 (New Build 2004) Review: Windows 10 May 2020 Update delivers little tweaks that add up to… well, not a lot

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      mrdmk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,847

Posters note: Read several articles on the (just released) new version of Windows 10 (build 2004). Here is the consensus and the deal, Windows 10 (build 1909) which most home users probably has been declared to be the most stable version of Windows 10 and corporate users should install that version. Windows 10 (build 2004) has a few new features and no security updates, also it has bugs. The short and skinny, wait for the bugs to be shaken out.

On too the article:

Review: Windows 10 May 2020 Update delivers little tweaks that add up to… well, not a lot
      There’s no reason we can see to rush out and install the Windows 10 version 2004 upgrade.

{…}

The Bottom Line

So what’s the verdict on this Windows 10 upgrade? Now that Microsoft allows anyone to delay update installations, we can’t see any reason to install version 2004 immediately.

There’s not much new here, and what is new won’t knock your socks off. There are no big new features like Timeline, introduced two years ago with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, and Microsoft seems to have abandoned its Sets feature, which would have let you group individual documents from different applications in multiple tabs inside an application — for example, creating multiple tabs in File Explorer for a single project, one with an Excel spreadsheet, another with a Word document, and so on. Microsoft has multiple times planned to include Sets in an upgrade, and multiple times abandoned it. So don’t expect to ever see it.

In fact, don’t expect to see anything big and new in Windows 10 upgrades for the foreseeable future. Microsoft has bet on the cloud, not on Windows, and so it’s not worth the company’s effort to spend a great deal of developer time on the operating system. Expect incremental upgrades as far as the eye can see.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, though. Steady, small changes are a big improvement over the days when one never knew whether a new Windows upgrade would blow up on you. So welcome to the new Windows 10, same as the old Windows 10.

LINK–Computer World, Review: Windows 10 May 2020 Update delivers little tweaks that add up to… well, not a lot

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

Hobbit709
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,790

I spend an hour heavily tweaking it afterwards. The first thing I install afterwards is Classic Shell to bring back the start menu and all the settings Win 10 wants to hide from you. Once you debug all the “features”, it works reasonably well. It definitely takes up less space on the boot drive than 7 or 8.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,180

W10Privacy.

This great little program lets you shut off all of Micro$oft’s built in spyware dragonshit and unnecessary bloatware. There’s also an option within the program to shut off the automatic updates from Windows 10 and do all the updates from within the w10Privacy program itself.

Even on the mostly bloat-free Windows 10 LTSC version (what I use here in Hell) this program has been a big help, but I most definitely would never even consider using the retail version of Windows 10 without it.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.