• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Anyone need a computer?

• Hobbit709 (2219 posts)
    Profile photo of Hobbit709 Donor

Anyone need a computer?

I got several refurbished/upgraded computers-desktop types. Nothing fancy but solid workhorses. Will do browsing, word processing, video watching, etc. Not quite up to fast video editing but will do just about anything else. They have Windows 7 and I installed Malwarebytes Antimalware, LibreOffice, Irfanview, Foxit PDf Reader, DVD Burning software and various utility programs.

Anyone near Austin can come by. If you’re further away I’ll ship them if you reimburse me for the shipping-shouldn’t be more than about $40 or so. also have some higher end machines but those I have to sell.

PM me for details and specs and what your requirements may be.

Enthusiast, Aerows, Live and Learn and 9 othersSunflower, Xcaliber, Rocco, Sriracha, Babel 17, MissDeeds, LiberalArkie, jhart3333, Haikugal like this
    I won't shut up and I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
7 replies
  • Rocco (591 posts)
    Profile photo of Rocco Donor

1. I probably could whip up a few myself.

With all the computer parts around here, I could get together at least a couple of PCs, that I would have to load an alternative operating system on.  So anyone in the mid Hudson Valley, Kingston/New Paltz area give me a shout.

• Aerows (3114 posts)
      Profile photo of Aerows Donor

2. I built a SFF box for a developmentally disabled

boy.  My hairdresser asked me if I could do that, and I had a SFF case laying around and built it for him.  He sent me a picture (assisted) of himself in a santa hat with the yellow themed box I made for him. :).  It made me smile for days.

Root: If we're just information, just noise in the system, we might as well be a symphony.
      • Mnpaul (1122 posts)
        Profile photo of Mnpaul Donor

6. Have you seen the LattePanda?

I have thought about ordering one but don’t know what to use it for. 2Gb/32Gb model with Windows 10 license for $119. It even has an arduino controller. I thought about buying one and trying to stuff it in one of my OQO cases.

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything - Hamilton
        • Aerows (3114 posts)

7. I custom built his, mouse and keyboard in yellow

because that is how he wanted it :).

I took apart the mouse to custom spray, keyboard, sprayed the case, and got gold lights.  He wanted a yellow computer.  He got one.

Root: If we're just information, just noise in the system, we might as well be a symphony.
  • Aerows (3114 posts)

3. Donating them to the Developmentally disabled?

If you have a stable linux build to avoid hefty license fees, you can always donate them to groups that help disabled children.  I don’t know if you have anything but the box (case and guts), but I’d certainly donate some keyboards and mice to the endeavor if you choose to do so.  I’m unfortunately fresh out of monitors  I have one as a spare and one for the bench.

Just a thought.

• Sunflower (519 posts)
    Profile photo of Sunflower Donor

4. Thank you Hobbit709

My granddaughter’s loves her ‘new’ computer and she can play all her games just fine.

Thanks again:)

• Akallabeth (2234 posts)
    Profile photo of Akallabeth

5. Thats great of you to do

Distrowatch has Linux distros so you can have another OS option.

"Out of many, one"