Computers and Technology

App to Tone Down Background Music on Videos

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Quinn
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 351

My hearing is bad in some conditions (sure from working and being around machines + what not) and if sometimes I come across a video it’s hard to pick up over what they are saying if background music is added. I looked, only saw where can edit in, thought I’d ask. Thanks in advance

Quinn
      Participant

Second thought might not need, have this app called audacity, it’s on another computer but will have to check out late.

Quinn
      Participant

Mod’s if posted in the wrong topic heading feel to move or delete

PADemD
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,949

I wish there were something to use on movies.  The background music is sometimes so loud, I can’t hear what the characters are saying and I have to use closed captioning every time.

retired liberal
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,709

Quite often the music IS way too loud. More often than not, no music is called for anyway. Proper hearing aids don’t help because the problem is with the idiot that added the music. People with normal hearing can usually filter out the music in their head, with some effort, to make out the voices. For whatever reason, people with hearing aids have a harder time with that.
      Audacity only records, plays back and saves audio it hears on your computer. What you need is a equalizer app, or program the can increase the voice frequencies and attenuate the frequencies outside the voice range. That can help.

We are an arrogant species, believing our fantasy based "facts" are better than the other person's fake facts.
      If you are wrong, it will be because you are not cynical enough.
      Both major political parties are special interest groups enabling each other for power and money, at the expense of the people they no longer properly serve…
      Always wear a proper mask when out and about. The life you save could be both yours and mine.

PolecatHollerer
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,097

Using EQ can help sometimes, but not always. I used to have a great homebrew sound system on my TV, that gave me a lot of control…

Problem is, a lot of music falls into the same frequency ranges as human speech, so rolling those back doesn’t help. On movies with multi-channel sound, it would sometimes help to mute or boost entire channels, but that’s little use on computer/phone vids.

Closed captioning has been a real godsend for me. Especially the computer generated ones- with all the typos, every news report also becomes a comedy, and a brain-strengthening exercise!

🙂

If you give a man enough rope, it will be six inches too short. This is not the nature of rope- it is the nature of man.

incognito
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,843

I don’t know what brainiac decided that background music throughout an entire movie is a great idea. I hate it. And it REALLY annoys me when they do that in documentaries. I just turn it off – pass!

When you have background music louder than dialogue, you have yourself a concert, not a movie because you can’t hear the dialogue AND it’s distracting.

They really need to stop it. Watching a movie should be relaxing, not annoying.

Quinn
      Participant

Been a while since used audacity, thinking last night if maybe just pull sample of with no audio use the the edit features to see what would happen. Have no idea if it would work but thought try to satisfy my curiosity. Saw few other things or apps, couldn’t understand what they were saying and or cost a fee didn’t spend time on.  Idk, got to head out for while but sounds like not alone, if can find a way, will let know.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.