Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Comcast is forcing You to pay for free Public WiFi

• Ferd Berfel (5260 posts)
    Profile photo of Ferd Berfel Donor

Comcast is forcing You to pay for free Public WiFi

Basically Comcast is forcing YOU to provide free WiFi to anyone close enough to your router.

You are paying the bill for the equipment and electricity for part of Comcasts network . But there is something you can do about it. Read this.

Comcast is turning your home routers into public Wi-Fi hotspots – here’s how to disable them

http://bgr.com/2014/06/11/how-to-disable-comcast-xfinity-wi-fi-hotspot/

Comcast has a brand new feature for its Internet subscribers called Xfinity Wi-Fi, but it’s going about it the wrong way, likely making even more enemies in the process. SeattlePi reports that Comcast is turning some of the Wi-Fi routers placed in the homes of subscribers into a “massive public Wi-Fi hotspot network,” but it’s doing so without giving customers the opportunity to opt out before the service is rolled out.

In theory, Xfinity Wi-Fi sounds like a neat idea, as it can provide free Internet access to other Xfinity subscribers as long as they’re within reach of such an Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot. Moreover, the extra load on the router does not affect the bandwidth of the customer who houses it, as the device creates two independent networks, one private, and one public, using additional bandwidth for the public one.

As such, any users on the public Xfinity Wi-Fi network will not slow down customers’ connections, according to the company.

more……………..

Dragon Turtle, Sadie like this
    …and you think you’re going to stop this simply by ‘pulling a lever’, in a booth, behind a curtain, every 2 years? - Know yourself. And if you need help with that, call the FBI. -  There is only ONE solution to this mess:  New Party !  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
8 replies
  • exindy (1290 posts)
    Profile photo of exindy Banned

1. It's a little more complicated.

I don’t believe comcast is proving the service to others for free. I think it’s a paid service, either as an existing customer or for the service directly. In effect, comcast is selling the bandwidth you bought.

Pretty f’in low. And if we had a real justice dept…

From my comment in the other wifi thread:

I believe the router supplied by comcast 

is a combined modem/router and has multiple wifi systems. One of them is the one “owned” by you, the other is controlled by them. As a comcast customer you can piggyback into someone else’s router — like when you’re visiting. IOW, they sell the bandwidth you bought to someone else. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

I own my own router. It has multiple wifis. One is a guest system that I activate when the family shows up. It also has features that the comcast one doesn’t.

I also own my own cable modem. It’s faster and more up-to-date than the one supplied by comcast.

They aren’t real happy with it but they have to put up with it. BTW, it’s cheaper in the long. Payoff in less than 2 years.

Disclaimer: This post should in no way to be construed to be pro-Trump, nor should it be considered to be a support of his actions.

3. I bougth my router

there are two Wifi bands on your new router. One is locked with your password for your use, the other is wide open to anyone – not locked.  I’ve shut the open one on my router off. It’s a convoluted process, they don’t make it ease but you can do it. I set the password on friends devices for them. Once entered the PW cant be read.

…and you think you’re going to stop this simply by ‘pulling a lever’, in a booth, behind a curtain, every 2 years? - Know yourself. And if you need help with that, call the FBI. -  There is only ONE solution to this mess:  New Party !  
      • exindy (1290 posts)

5. My router is mine. A D-Link.

Comcast has to be involved in the setup of the cable modem out front (also all mine, and it blows the doors off the comcast stuff).

After that it’s all mine.

Disclaimer: This post should in no way to be construed to be pro-Trump, nor should it be considered to be a support of his actions.

6. yea……… that's a sore point

At the time I bought mine (and their shitty service) the Comcast router was the only one that would work on their network. I understand that that has change.  The WiFi range on this one sux. But until it dies and I have to buy  new one………

Hopefully by then there will be a competitor available and I can kiss off Comcast 

7. Curious

Does your D-Link include the dual Wifi scheme?

• exindy (1290 posts)

8. Oh yeah.

AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router DIR-890L/R

Got a Motorola Surfboard out front doing the modem stuff.

• NV Wino (5172 posts)
    Profile photo of NV Wino Donor

2. I don't really have a problem with this

As a Comcast user, my monthly fee allows me access to other Comcast hot spots. If anyone piggy backs on my service, it doesn’t affect me,  nor am I paying for their usage. If they are a Comcast client, they, like me, get the use of a hot spot.

I own my own modem, which I bought used so I paid considerably less for it than either buying new or renting from Comcast.

Resist-sm_zpswfchkz8t “As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee  

4. It's a sunken cost but

that Comcast router cost me a little over $200 with tax. That price includes the additional hardware, firmware, software and development and maintenance costs required to run the dual Wifi.  This is probably one reason that the Comcast routers cost a lot more than others.