Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Dreaded Microsoft virus thingy fix

• djean111 (5244 posts)
    Profile photo of djean111 Donor

Dreaded Microsoft virus thingy fix

I got one of these just now, it did the usual, could not go to another tab, could not close that tab, could not bring up task manager in order to stop the process.  What works for me (Windows 7) is to remember the placement of the tab (in this case, third from my left), restart my computer, and when I restart my Chrome browser, with all the many tabs I always have open – close that tab immediately, while all the tabs are still coming up.  Have to be quick, but it works for me.  I then go to task manager, and usually it shows the tab I just closed as still running, so I stop that process, which closes all the tabs, and then I just restart Chrome again, and everything is okay.  All my other tabs still intact.

• *Obligatory disclaimer - when I say "Democratic Party" I mean the DNC - the Clintons and the un-elected people and the consultants and the lobbyists and the corporations who actually run things.  The people who work and vote and are registered as "D" are no more the actual party than Trekkies are Star Trek.   Extra credit - the Democratic Party gets to actually fuck up your life. When you vote for it.
    You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• faultindicator (973 posts)
    Profile photo of F I Donor

1. There may be better tools than this one,

but it gives much more info than task manager and allows other choices. It’s called Process Explorer. Here’s a link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

A reasonable request: Reduce daily TV viewing time by 1/2 hour starting now. Ask others to do the same, follow through with them, break the media habit. FI - Simple and straight forward, just like this place, solutions without the bullshit.
  • Babel 17 (3403 posts)
    Profile photo of Babel 17 Donor

2. Clearing your cache, and history, might also work

I did that for a friend’s iPhone when he had the Apple version of that. He was impressed because the genius bar person he talked to didn’t know that solution. It also has worked with Firefox, on Windows.

https://www.votetulsi.com/bumper-stickers/free  
  • JimLane (1463 posts)
    Profile photo of JimLane

3. Is this an issue of automatic updating or not?

All the software companies push you to accept automatic updating, but I always choose instead to be notified.  I’ve never had the experience you describe with the MS antivirus (or Windows updates, for that matter).

• dEEDeeNL (108 posts)
    Profile photo of dEEDeeNL Banned

4. re:when I restart my Chrome browser

“Dreaded Microsoft virus thingy”

Respectfully, Chrome is not MSoft. Suggesting the ditching of the alphabet-google spyware browser.
    Doubtful this is virus related.