Computers and Technology

FireFox WARNING!!! Caution about updating to Version 78.0 May Wipeout Bookmarks and Passwords

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      mrdmk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,894

Just update a computer then got the warning after the install of the new version. Has to do with the NEW Protections Dashboard:

The Protections Dashboard includes consolidated reports about tracking protection, data breaches, and password management. New features let you:

Track how many breaches you’ve resolved right from the dashboard
      See if any of your saved passwords may have been exposed in a data breach

To view your dashboard, type about:protections into the address bar, or select “Protections Dashboard” from the main menu.

To save your bookmarks and passwords, you need to sync to a FireFox Account.

LINK–Firefox, Release Information

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

Hobbit709
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,831

Of course I never set any of that crap up to start with.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Joe Shlabotnik
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 809

I think I’ll back up my bookmarks to be on the safe side. Hopefully it doesn’t impact me because I’ll never sign up for a Firefox account, or for any other browser for that matter. On edit: no problems updating.

~ All good things are Wild and Free ~

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,238

But I’m guessing this is a common problem, as they’re already pushing a 78.0.1 update.

I don’t do auto-update on my browser, I do it manually through Chocolatey. Just in case issues like this come up and I’m ready to deal with any possible clusterfucks. I make it a policy to disable auto-updates whenever possible… which is one of the many things that pisses me off about Windows 10. Though I found away to get around that one too (see my previous comments about W10 Privacy)

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

mrdmk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,894

I did write Mozilla a note of my displeasure with the 78.0 update experience. I am assuming I was not the only one.

My day to day computer also has the automatic this or that turned off also, too many negative experiences.

Windows 10 reminds me of Vista on steroids, it is so easy to break.

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.