• Site issues

Some things were updated on the servers last night, but there are some hiccups. One thing is that a page might not say you're logged in, but you are - trying navigating to another page and check. If you can't use the site yet... please check back later, we'll keep you updated! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Help -Cell Phones are getting hijacked –

• The Crone (2771 posts)
    Profile photo of The Crone

Help -Cell Phones are getting hijacked –

So Monday, here in No Calif.  I was expecting a friend to text me.

Instead a local number came on my cell’s display. I didn’t recognize it, so I didn’t answer. Then it dawned on me that my friend could be calling using her friend’s phone. So I clicked and dialed, using the stored phone number of the call that came in.

I got a guy who lived in my area code, but he had not placed the call. In fact, he works nights and had been sleeping. Only emergency calls come in from his associates during the day so he can sleep.

He answered my call thinking it was an emergency.

“Who are you?” he demanded.

“Well, you called me!” I insisted. We talked a few more minutes, and as he woke up a bit, he realized that somehow someone was mirroring his phone. He said he would call Verizon, his provider and straighten it out.

Now today I open my email and find a client of ours is reaching out to us. He lives in Colorado. Someone is mirroring his cell phone, and that of us his wife’s. There are people calling them saying “Who are you? You called me!” And also they get text messages that seem to be answering a previous text – but he has no idea of what the text message originally sent happened to be. All he knows is he doesn’t know the sender of the text or what is going on in terms of the text’s info.

What the heck is going on? Any ideas – any solutions?

PADemD, formercia, Sadie like this
    "Let us not seek the Republican answer nor the Democratic answer but the right answer." John F. Kennedy   America is the only country that has real   lemons in its furniture polish, and artificial lemon flavoring  in its lemonade!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
8 replies
  • Akallabeth (2234 posts)
    Profile photo of Akallabeth

1. If anybody did know, they likely would not be allowed to discuss it

Not even by sign language.

:(

"Out of many, one"
  • goodgirl (2175 posts)
    Profile photo of goodgirl Donor

2. Probably Beta-testing by the government for when they begin

monitoring every single thing we do, plus planting things we didn’t do.

Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.    John F. Kennedy
  • Deadpool (6620 posts)
    Profile photo of Deadpool Admin

3. It’s called Caller ID Spoofing…

It happens when a telemarketer disguises their name and phone number to make it look like they’re someone else.

It’s an illegal way for deceptive telemarketers to get around the Do Not Call registry to pitch products like credit cards, mortgage help, or debt relief.

I once had a telemarketer call me using my own phone number on the caller id.

• FanBoy (6341 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

4. but neither of the parties were telemarketers, so what happened?

• Deadpool (6620 posts)

5. …

A telemarketer called The Crone masking the caller id as Guy A’s number. When The Crone called the number back, she got Guy A.

Let’s say I call you. Instead of my phone number showing up on your caller id, I choose to use The Crone’s phone number.

• FanBoy (6341 posts)
          Profile photo of FanBoy

6. i'm a little slow; got it. telemarketer never connected.

what I also want to know is: can the telemarketers call you back if you hang up on them?  I had one call me back & it was kind of weird, so I wondered about it.

• Deadpool (6620 posts)

7. Sure, they can call back.

I always bullshit with them. Make them hangup on me :lol:

• PADemD (779 posts)
      Profile photo of PADemD Donor

8. That happened to me around Halloween.

I didn’t answer the phone and let the call go to voice mail, only there was no message.  The phone number was a local call, so I used White Pages to do a reverse lookup.  It was the phone number of a neighbor who died over two years ago!  I then called the phone company to let them know that someone was using the number of a dead neighbor.