Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

Help. I've rendered Ebay useless somehow.

• Gregorian (1272 posts)
    Profile photo of Gregorian Donor

Help. I've rendered Ebay useless somehow.

Guys I need help. I accidentally did something that turned Ebay into text. I’ve been on the phone with them, and they don’t know what it is. I’ve tried Opera, and it’s still there. But when I go to my other computer, Ebay comes up fine.

All I can imagine is I somehow managed to right click and adblock something important. But I have no custom Adblock filter.

I’m lost, and need to get shipments out. Does anyone have a clue what could be going on? I’m just guessing adblock. I don’t know what else it could be.

Here’s what it looks like- https://postimg.org/image/b09qb3nvh/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
12 replies
  • Deadpool (7166 posts)
    Profile photo of Deadpool Admin

1. Since it happened when you tried to block something via Adblock…

I would disable/uninstall Adblock.

• Gregorian (1272 posts)

3. It's not adblock, I don't think.

I don’t have any custom filters except for one on this forum that I created a long time ago.

Now I’m lost.

• Entrepreneur (1541 posts)
    Profile photo of Entrepreneur Donor

2. Clear your browser history (maybe called "cache", "cookies", "history") just in

case it is some temporary token that is stored and might possibly be deleted from your stored history.

Or, download a clean copy of FireFox browser from Mozilla.org.  It is not too difficult and is pretty quick (at least on PCs).

No longer GoneFishin.  Truth is I've never GoneFishin.
    • Gregorian (1272 posts)

4. Thanks. I had already cleared history and cache, etc.

I just installed a clean copy of firefox a few weeks ago.

5. Is the problem only with online content? Do your desktop icons look normal?

• Gregorian (1272 posts)

6. Everything is perfect except Ebay.

I’m asking the Firefox forum too. Maybe they’ll have a clue.

I think I’ll go for a walk. This kind of stuff really eats me up. I don’t know why. Thanks for the reply!

If I can remember how to open FF in safemode, I’ll try that. I suspect Ebay will look fine when I do that. Yuck, I hate this.

7. I am grasping at straws. Check for low disk space.

• Gregorian (1272 posts)

9. Thanks! It's all back to normal.

I think it was my ISP. The connection went down just now, and when it came back up I went to Ebay, and it is as it was.

I sure appreciate that you replied. I seem to keep going into panic when things like this happen. For several years, over on DU, I had adblocked something by accident, which made all the buttons go away. I think it was also just text. Finally someone had a rather detailed way of getting everything back. I had even removed firefox completely. I even removed Adblock. It was like some demon was now living in my computer. I guess I’m just not cool.

• faultindicator (739 posts)
    Profile photo of faultindicator Donor

8. Yesterday morning the same thing occured here

Several hours later, without restarting either the browser or the computer their site was fine again. Perhaps manually typing ebay dot com into your address bar will avoid any ills residing somewhere deep in your machine?

A malfunction causes an FI (fault indicator) to light up on the dash. It flashes in code saying what to fix. Simple and straight forward. Just like this place - causes and solutions without the bullshit.
    • Gregorian (1272 posts)

10. How interesting. I had Googled to see if anyone was experiencing it.

Alright, I’m satified that it’s all in the past. Yay, I can get back to buying things. Off I go to get a 37/64″ endmill.

• faultindicator (739 posts)
        Profile photo of faultindicator Donor

11. The whole eBay thing is good and bad

Had you been able to find the endmill yesterday you would have had it a day sooner – a situation where I often kick myself (on the extremely rare, almost non-existent chance that it was my mistake, if you know what I mean)

A malfunction causes an FI (fault indicator) to light up on the dash. It flashes in code saying what to fix. Simple and straight forward. Just like this place - causes and solutions without the bullshit.
        • Gregorian (1272 posts)

12. This is for a project I've been working on since before Bernie.

I have another option besides the endmill, which I’m thinking of doing. Too much money is going out, and not enough coming in. But thanks for the reminder. I’m going to go see if there are any cheapos for sale.