Computers and Technology

How safe is your password?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 8,802

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/how-safe-your-password

A twelve-character password with one uppercase letter, one number and one symbol is almost unbreakable, taking a computer 34,000 years to crack.

So add 4 more characters to the 8 character password you’re so fond of. Nice chart at the link.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

So Far From Heaven
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 9,880

2 caps minimum, at least 1 special, and 3 or 4 numerals.

You gonna work at cracking them.

So Far From Heaven
      Keymaster
        NV Wino

Did you:

1. Kill the dog?

2. Get a new computer?

“Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

So Far From Heaven
          Keymaster

I have the really bad habit of leaving a large glass of decaf tea on the table with my computer. Damn dog knocked it over onto the keyboard part of the laptop.

Fucking freaked out. Everything is on this computer. Haven’t done a full backup for about half a year. Another really bad thing to do.

Took the piece of shit apart immediately and cleaned as fast as possible. Let dry twenty four hours. Using it to write this reply. I let the dog live. Did a full backup to a terabyte memory drive.

Love the damn thing…

The dog. Computer is O-K, but I LOVE the GSD pooper dog. Didn’t even yell at her. Wasn’t her fault.

Hobbit709
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 2,757

She had a habit of leaving a quart jar of iced tea next to it. Luckily the hard drive was always good so I could read the data.

When I suggested she get a Sippy Cup, she complained they’re too small. I showed her they came in quart sizes too. She said they were too expensive-My reply “More expensive that $300+ for a new laptop every 4 months?”

She finally got one and hasn’t flooded a laptop in about 3 years now.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,434

I have 255 stored passwords. These days every @#$%ing business requires an account and a password, each with different requirements, and often requirement you to change the password on their schedule. There’s absolutely no way to remember what password goes where.

I use https://pwsafe.org/ – it’s on my computer, and not on the cloud where a leak could provide my passwords to, well, everything!

And unbreakable doesn’t matter. There are so many leaks that your data is probably already accessible.

If you want to check, try https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords . You can check your e-mail as well at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ – my e-mail which I’ve had for probably 20 years has been leaked in 14 data breaches – I get plenty of spam e-mail 😉

@nvwino
      @sffh

NV Wino

This password shit drives me crazy.

So Far From Heaven
        Keymaster

I have terrific passwords, but can’t remember a single one.

So.

I have a special encoded file on the computer with all of them listed.

Don’t think anyone can get on it, so I’m not too worried about it yet @jbnw

jbnw
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 7,434

But if it’s a portable computer, make sure it’s encrypted!

Hobbit709
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 2,757

That way there is a backup if anything happens to my computers.

I have at least 2 backup copies of ALL my data files since I have about 5 Tb of video files, 250 Gb of music files, and about 1 TB of documents, pictures, etc.

The first time I had a crash and it took me about 3 months to recreate about 98% of the data cured me of not backing up.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

QuietYooper
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 70

It’s the single best thing to protect your stuff. The second is two factor authorization – which requires a code in addition to a strong password. If you enable two factor consider an app-based version and not SMS aka text message.

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,339

Got a message that said, “Your password should be stronger.” I used all caps, just in case. STRONGER

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.