Computers and Technology

I guess the design life of a MSI AM3+ motherboard is about 10 years

• Author

Hobbit709
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 882
    @hobbit709

of continuous operation. Might have been off a total of 10 days in those 10 years, so I got my money’s worth out of them. My computer in the bedroom did that about a month ago.

Been having problems with my main system failing to read/write the secondary hard drive. Started taking 2 minutes to boot up with an SSD. Swapped SATA ports and made no difference. Booted with my Linux drive-same result. All drives test good on my test setup. Memory passes all tests.

Got a new board ordered, should get here about Aug. 8. Then the fun begins. Pull out the NVidia GTX 1060, the other addon cards, disconnecting all the wires, removing the liquid cooler assembly.

Then putting it all back together and and firing it up for the smoke test. Then I’ll probably have to argue with Windoze about reauthentication with the hardware changes.

At least I won’t be bored.

AMD FX-8350 that for about 4 years I OC’d it to 5 GHz before resetting back to its rated 4 GHz. 16 Gb RAM, 120 Gb SSD Windoze 7 boot, 60 Gb SSD Linux Mint 18 boot, 2 Tb secondary data drive, DVD-RW, and USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports up the wazoo, NVidia GTX 1060 to light up my Samsung 40-inch 4K TV I use for a monitor, 3 printers-1 monochrome laser, 1 color laser, 1 large format inkjet.

At least I wont have to reinstall all the software.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

elias39
    • Total Posts: 2,677
    @elias39

Good luck Hobbit.

Mr. Mickeys Mom
    • Total Posts: 1,498
    @mrmickeysmom

I’m too dumb to do any of that, Hobbit…. I operate in the Mac world, which at least has 24 hour tech support now. I know… it’s big of the company that has more than countries do and abuses labor and labor laws…

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Hobbit709
      Donor
      • Total Posts: 882
      @hobbit709

When Apple went all proprietary, I quit having anything to do with them. Much less that they think their stuff is really worth the prices they charge.

I can build a system for about a quarter the cost that will outperform any Mac.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Two way street
    • Total Posts: 1,023
    @twowaystreet

What fun.  My son builds/rebuilds computers and servers for us at home.  He keeps it all running.

Hobbit709-Enjoy your venture(s).  Look forward to reading this Group.

2020 Campaign Season: We the People are in the fight for our lives and livelihoods.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.