Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

I Watched Neil DeGrasse Tyson Take On A Science Skeptic

• Haikugal (5240 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

I Watched Neil DeGrasse Tyson Take On A Science Skeptic

This is great…

Last week, the American Museum of Natural History in New York and famed astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson held a press event to announce the museum’s new Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation.

Following the media briefing, which focused on new exhibits and educational resources available at the Gilder Center, I and a few other members of the press—including Ken Gale from New York’s WBAI and Anthony Liversidge from the blog Science Guardian—had a chance to catch up with Neil. Our conversation quickly grew heated as Liversidge, a reporter and science skeptic, expressed concerns about the safety of the Large Hadron Collider and doubts over the well-established link between HIV and AIDS. According to our conversation and “accurate/helpful” links on his website, Liversidge believes that AZT—antiretroviral medication for HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment—and recreational drugs (such as, perhaps, poppers) cause AIDS.

Gizmodo felt this recorded interview was the most important part of the day. We decided to publish it due to its relevance to today’s political climate of open hostility toward scientific truth, as well as Neil’s explanation of some of the most unbelievable discoveries in modern physics. It has been condensed, edited and annotated for clarity. (Gale did not return our multiple requests for comment, but we will update the piece if we hear back.)

http://gizmodo.com/i-watched-neil-degrasse-tyson-take-on-a-science-skeptic-1791380377

The interview is available at the link.

<snip>

AL: Black holes don’t make a lot of sense right now.

NDT: The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.

AL: It has a duty to make sense to you.

NDT: It doesn’t give a rat’s ass how your five cents interact with this world. Rattle off ten things and I’ll tell you where we are.

<snip>

:rofl:

Oops, I thought I was in the science group. Feel free to move it!

morningglory, exindy, daleanime and 3 othersScuba, xynthee, jwirr like this
      Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Haikugal (5240 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

1. Can anyone beside Jwirr and I see this?

Just wondering… :shrug:

I’m not used to such a fast turnover I guess….thanks all!

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
  • exindy (1303 posts)
    Profile photo of exindy Banned

2. Great answers.

Don’t care where it’s supposed to be. Serendipitously found it.

My copy of Cosmos came today. I’ll get a chance to see the grandkid in a couple months and I want to binge watch it with him. When it was on demand he insisted on seeing every episode, no matter his mom’s bedtime edict.

Disclaimer: This post should in no way to be construed to be pro-Trump, nor should it be considered to be a support of his actions.