Computers and Technology

Improving search-engine results

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Gryneos
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,284

I use DuckDuckGo primarily for my searches, but have noticed that it’s difficult anymore to get exact results, even when using boolean terms to help. It’s as if they are ignoring that kind of thing these days in favor of just giving me garbage.

So, I went looking and found a page which can add a script to DDG to make it search by “verbatim” terms. This is the page, because I haven’t tried it yet, and would rather know from those of y’all who know programming if it would be safe to use:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/411090-super-phrase-automatic-phrase-search-on-duckduckgo

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,266

All it does is put quote marks around a search string, so instead of searching for

these words

you search for

“these words”

. You can add the quotes yourself – Javascript with 11 downloads just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Gryneos
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,284

I put quotes around search terms already and it still ignores them, as well as giving me pages that do not even have a single one of my search terms in them. Aggravating beyond measure! The way search engines work now makes doing exact research extremely difficult.

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

mrdmk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,487

Google used to have, “Search within results” That was very powerful for getting what you wanted.

Now all search engines seem to have a regional thing going on. What this means one person make a search in New York and another person use the same search term in California the results will be only local sources. Then there are people who game the system with putting their stuff at the top with unrelated crap. A search today can be an exercise in frustration.

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.