Computers and Technology

It's been how long since I bought a new computer !?

• Author

Deadpool
    Administrator
    • Total Posts: 3,065
    @deadpool

Excluding my Chromebook, it’s been 10 years since I last bought a new computer (2010 Apple iMac)  My Macbook Pro is even older!

I have a new Mac Mini on the way.

• i7 6-core processor
    • 8gb ram (will upgrade to 32gb myself)
    • 512 SSD (That’s plenty for MacOS and apps; will use an external  1TB SSD for files)

Hopefully, this machine lasts another 10 years.

NV Wino
    • Total Posts: 3,687
    @nvwino

Let’s hear it for the Mini! One of the best deals ever.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
    “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 9,880
    @ohiobarbarian

6 days for me. Just got a Lenovo IdeaPad L340, 15.6″ laptop. My dinosaur of a Compaq was so old it couldn’t handle Windows 10, and Windows 7 is already degrading, so…well, it lasted me 15 years.

So far, so good. Love the laptop so far.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

Babel 17
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 2,513
    @babel17

Got a slot for one of these, or is today’s level of onboard graphics enough? (he asked innocently)

https://www.tulsi2020.com/

Babel 17
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 2,513
    @babel17

Nice build. Even early gen i5 CPUs are overkill for everything except video editing and other tasks at that level. You can always benefit from “more” with that stuff.

Windows sees even 16 GB of ram as overkill unless you’re running memory hog applications. But it uses the extra for caching, so it’s not going to waste. Though with an SSD for your Windows installation, you’re really in the cat-bird seat.

P.S. Do you use the built in Windows application to make Image backups to another drive?

https://www.tulsi2020.com/

Hobbit709
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,234
    @hobbit709

I’m on the second motherboard for my AMD FX-8350. Had the cpu since they came out in 2012. Running it overclocked at 5 GHZ with an NVidia GTX-1060 graphics card to drive my 40-inch 4K TV I use as a monitor. 16 Gb RAM, boots from either a 256 Gb SSD for Windows 7 Pro or a 128 GB SSD for LinuxMint 19.3, with a secondary 2 Tb data drive. The only reason I replaced the motherboard was that the SATA controller was getting glitchy. I have an image of the boot drive on another SSD so if something screws up, all I have to do is shut down, swap drives and boot back up-total down time-maybe 2 minutes.

I’ll keep using it until it dies, or I do.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Deadpool
    Administrator
    • Total Posts: 3,065
    @deadpool

I now have my new Mac Mini … so nice to have a fast computer again.

Next thing will be a eGPU … As you can see, the on-board graphics won’t cut it for video editing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.