Computers and Technology

Microsoft announces Windows 11, will be a free upgrade for Windows 10 users

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Babel 17
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,320

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operating-systems/matthew-wilson/microsoft-announces-windows-11-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-10-users/

As expected, today Microsoft officially announced Windows 11. A number of the new UI changes were already leaked earlier this month, but now, we have full details on new features, redesigned apps and other improvements. 

Windows 11 does come with a new start menu, which completely drops the ‘live tiles’ what were first introduced with Windows 8. It is a simpler interface, offering quick access to installed and pinned apps, as well as recent documents. Search is handled with a separate interface. There is also a new widget interface, which slides in from the side of the screen.

Microsoft is implementing a ‘Snap Layouts’ feature with Windows 11, allowing users to quickly snap apps and assign them to portions of the screen. This is particularly good for productivity, as you can set up all the apps you use throughout the working day and automatically have them open up right where you want them to be. This is one of the multi-tasking features originally built for Windows 10X, in fact, a lot of UI features and other portions of Windows 11 have been carried over from that project.

Microsoft Teams is now integrated into Windows, which likely means the end of Skype. There is also an overhauled Windows Store, which now supports a wider range of apps, no longer limiting developers to Microsoft’s UWP platform. The Store also has integration with other stores, such as Amazon’s Android app store – Android apps downloaded through here will run within Windows. Microsoft is encouraging others to integrate with the Windows Store by not taking a cut of any sales made through another Content Delivery Network. So for instance, if you buy an app through Amazon’s Android Store within the Windows 11 Store app, Microsoft will not take a revenue cut.

mrdmk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,586

In all politeness, you first!

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

Warning DO NOT CLICK HERE!
      Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,195

Looks like some minor interface tweaks. They copied MacOS on the new centered taskbar, and Linux on the “weather widget”.

If what’s underneath is the same bloat & spyware of Windows 10, that’s not really an improvement. But as it is with any version of Windows since 95, there’s always a de-bloating process needed before you can run it on the average computer anyway.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Gryneos
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,635

of the OS’s would do is to let us choose the GUI we’re used to using. If I want to use Windows 11 with the GUI of Win7, that should be an easy thing to do. The guts of the OS isn’t important to anyone but an IT professional, so don’t bother us with the bells and whistles. Let us opt into that shit if we want it, not the other way around.

I am still hoping to build a new computer this year (because this Dell is over 8 years old, and I need better audio hardware than the motherboard will allow). I also want to finally have an AMD computer instead of having to put up with everyone talking me out of it. It will have Windows 10, and I’ll have to spend a while setting it up, including for some issues it has with recognizing external hard-drives from previous versions of Windows. I don’t look forward to all of the shit I’ll have to do, but I am also neither a Linux or iProduct user. I am used to Windows these last 28+ years and have certain expectations for it (such as Wacom drivers working seamlessly on Windows and not on Linux).

I guess I’ll get used to a centered taskbar, but it sure would be nice if I could disable things like that and set it to certain “classic” configurations. It really sucks that software engineers/marketing people feel that we also want all the crap they invent.

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

Satan
          Participant

Presumably these will be updated to Work with Windows 11 by the time it hits the streets officially, considering they have been around for a while. Some of them actually came out to help Windows 7 users revert back to a Windows XP look, if you can believe it.

Open Shell (formerly called Classic Shell) will replace the Windows 10 start menu with a Windows 7 style. Or even the old school XP type, if you really want it.

Old New Explorer allows you to modify the Windows Explorer file manager to look more like the one you remember from Windows 7.

There are also programs like Winaero Tweaker & Ultimate Windows Tweaker which allow you to modify all sorts of settings in the Windows interface. And again, these programs have been around a while, so they will also work on Windows 7 or 8.  Winaero Tweaker has already been updated to support Windows 11, which the beta testers will appreciate greatly. No doubt that UWT will have a new version out before Windows 11 reaches the magic “RTM” date.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Gryneos
            Participant

I generally only use Explorer to eject flash drives and use PowerDesk for file/folder exploring. It has many better features to it. Also have never used any of the “aero” bells/whistles, because I like buttons and the like to be simple and opaque.

But, I’ll come back here whenever I have a new system built and ready to improve :~)

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

Satan
              Participant

Because a Devil somehow found himself on the “Windows Insider Preview” list, I happened to get the Windows 11 preview update last night. Playing around with it a little right now, but one of the first things I noticed was that the “centered” task bar can be easily reverted to the more “traditional” lower left corner position with one click in the task bar settings.

Start menu is completely redone. No ugly ass “live tiles” (thank Hell). It’s more like an evolution of the Windows 7 menu, where you start out with a list of “pinned” apps with a button in the upper right corner to take you to the full menu. That alone is enough of an improvement that might keep me from running for the Open Shell.

That said, I’m probably going to be still be using Linux Mint as my “daily driver” and just tweaking Windows 11 when I get bored, for a while.

Gryneos
                Participant

and thanks again : )

Linux is too much of a learning curve for me. It’s bad enough I have to re-tweak browsers like Vivaldi and OperaGX every time they do an update. I don’t enjoy doing that kind of thing and why I don’t look forward to having to do that with Win10/11. It’s also why I don’t use much open source software (other than FLAC for audio codecs).

I tried LibreOffice but it inserted way too many artifacts into the Word-type files that made editing all of that crap out later too much of a hassle. (I use rtf-files in my ancient word-processor, AlphaSmart Dana, and LibreOffice converted all punctuation in characters the Dana couldn’t read).

Hobbit709
                  Participant
                  • Total Posts: 2,607

Now using X8 even there are newer versions. It does a better job of opening old Word files than Word does. and a better job of converting to a .docx from a .wpd than word ever did.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Gryneos
                    Participant

the AlphaSmart works best with rtf files (the word-processor program I use came with the device, AlphaWord). I’m on a Flickr group for writers who use the AlphaSmart devices, and most don’t like the built-in program, and often insist that one should just use text. Text doesn’t allow me to modify text with italics, emboldening or underlines, so I used AlphaWord. And I don’t think it can handle wpd files. RTF keeps all of the formatting info in place, and won’t corrupt punctuation like LibreOffice did.

This works for me, so it’s what I use. I am used to its quirks and know how to fix it, so I doubt I’ll move to anything else. I might even have to keep this computer once I make a new one because I don’t know how well this ancient Palm OS will play with Win10/11. I know how to make it work on Win7 and keep it in working order.

You might suggest the use of that program in the writers’ group. They sometimes try other writing programs :~)

Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,008

No thank you.

Right over the cliff you go.

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like Birdy Num-Nums"

If you come for Nina Turner, Your ish better be airtight like Tupperware" -Rashida Talib

PADemD
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,339

I haven’t figured out Windows 10 yet.  How many classes will I need to operate Windows 11?  It looks complicated.

KenTankerous
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,283

Meh. More crap I’m not allowed to uninstall.

I’d switch to Linux if I could.

"If we define an American fascist as one who in case of conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States."
      - Henry A. Wallace
      (FDR's Vice President until he was forced out by the corrupt forces of obscene wealth.)

Hobbit709
      Participant

Pro doesn’t. I will NEVER get a M$ account.

I’ll probably keep using 7 until it doesn’t work anymore.

My main computers are now triple boot-7, 10, and Linux Mint. I use separate SSD’s for each OS and just select which one I want to boot from in BIOS.  I keep all my data on a separate hard drive(currently 3 TB) so data is accessible no matter what OS I’m using.

Hobbit709
      Participant

someone on a computer website called it

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.