Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

My project for Thur. will be to rebuild/upgrade my main system.

• Hobbit709 (2082 posts)
    Profile photo of Hobbit709 Donor

My project for Thur. will be to rebuild/upgrade my main system.

Been having some odd hardware issues, especially on the USB ports. so replacing motherboard with a newer version and adding a USB 3.0 front panel card reader with additional ports while I’m at it. Guess I’ll find out if Windoze will freak and make me re-authenticate.

Babel 17, jwirr, Bluesuedeshoes like this
    I won't shut up and I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
7 replies
  • Bluesuedeshoes (2040 posts)
    Profile photo of Bluesuedeshoes Donor

1. way cool, please give us the updates

• Rocco (580 posts)
    Profile photo of Rocco Donor

2. Good Luck

I am sure that if you change out a major component, like the motherboard, Windoze will make you re-authenticate the software. I am not sure that you will be able to boot because the firmware in the BIOS/UEFI will be different from that on the HDD. I think that some newer mobos do something that writes a sig to part of that UEFI partition, along with Windoze.
    At any rate good luck.

I am so glad that I am retiring from this stuff in 8 months. I remember when we had DOS, and things were easier. Now they over complicate things, and tell us that Windoze is better. And that doesn’t even start to address all the advertising, bloatware and teaserware that you have to endure.

• Hobbit709 (2082 posts)

3. Never had a problem getting one to boot.

Same chipset on new board, just a newer version.

• Babel 17 (2428 posts)
    Profile photo of Babel 17 Donor

4. ASUS?

They have a utility that’s supposed to optimize USB 3 ports. “USB 3.0 Boost Service” is it’s name, and it’s offered by the ASUS utility suite.

http://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/what-is-asus-usb-3-boost-and-uasp/

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012780

You can download this utility in ASUS support site: http://www.asus.com/support/ according to your specific model.

Lol, I had to jury-rig an old DVD drive to my new PC to use the ASUS disk that came with the new PC as it has no optical drive. It’s pretty high end, but this is something of a trend.

While figuring out I had a bad video card I managed to wreck two PCs and I had to buy a new one in a hurry. This one has the ASUS H170 Pro mobo.

I booted with my old SSD and after installing some stuff Windows was OK with it. I later did a clean install though Microsoft had me ask for permission to use my old license on the new mobo. The PC came with Windows but that’s on another drive.

Microsoft has never actually wanted to explain exactly how the hardware-based Windows activation process works. Just replacing your hard drive or upgrading your graphics card shouldn’t cause a problem. If you’ve just changed a few peripherals, Windows 10 may just automatically activate itself after you clean-install it. But, if you’ve changed the motherboard or just a lot of other components, Windows 10 may see your computer as a new PC and may not automatically activate itself.

Head to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and you’ll see a “Troubleshoot” option if activation failed. Click that option and sign in with the Microsoft account you associated your license with. You’ll be able to tell Windows that you “changed hardware on this device recently” and select your PC from a list of devices associated with your Microsoft account. Microsoft’s documentation now explains exactly how this works.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

Sounds like what I did.

• Hobbit709 (2082 posts)

5. I replaced both optical drives on my main system once

and Windoze had a cow. Other times I’ve switched motherboards/cpus and it went right on as if nothing had been done. There’s no rhyme nor reason behind their process.

I absolutely refuse to use 10. I’m running 7 Pro x64 on an overclocked AMD FX-8370 running at 5 GHz with 16 Gb RAM, 128 Gb SSD boot drive, 2 DVD-RW, 2 Tb hard drive, NVidia GTX 1060 graphics, lighting up a 40-in. Samsung 4K TV as a monitor.

Depending on what I have to print, I’ve got a Samsung M2070, Samsung CLP-680, and a Canon Pro-100 printer.

• Babel 17 (2428 posts)
        Profile photo of Babel 17 Donor

6. I've been using StartIsBack since Windows 8 and it's been very good to me

http://startisback.com/

I know people who use freeware that pretty much does the same thing, and they like it.

http://alternativeto.net/software/classicshell/

Ten does stuff behind the scenes that are questionable, but that’s another story. ;)

P.S. I knew a guy who used to have a relationship with 3dfx and he’d be constantly swapping videocards and reinstalling Windows. Lol, I think he got be on a first name basis with Microsoft’s people who handled Windows verification.

• Hobbit709 (2082 posts)

7. My laptop has 8 on it.

If I had bought it a month earlier, I could have gotten 7. Then they made sure that you couldn’t install 7 without a big hassle.

So I put Classic Shell on it and tweaked it the way I wanted. Once I got rid of the cellphone type screen and the crappy apps and One Drive, it ran about 25% faster. It’s a high end machine with a 2.5 GHz quad-core, 8 Gb RAM, NVidia  840M graphics and has an actual DVD-RW in it, along with Two 1 Tb hard drives. 17 inch display. I use mostly it to drive the sound system when I have a DJ gig and if I have to go to someone’s house to work on a computer.