Computers and Technology

Oh frabjous day- my bedroom computer crashed big time.

• Author

Hobbit709
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 882
    @hobbit709

Started running about 25°C hotter than usual and slow. Check Task Manager and as soon as I open it temps drop.

Ran scans and found nothing. Ran scans again with Task Manager open and it finds a couple of Trojans. Clean and reboot. Works for about an hour and then back to that.

Shut down system and plugged in backup boot drive-boots up and everything normal. So I decide to wipe drive A and then use Acronis True Image to clone B onto A so I have a working backup drive again.  Acronis locks up at the Select screen-WTF?

After 3 tries I give up and then try to boot from B again. This time get screen from Windoze saying couldn’t find the system and to try to recover with my install/rescue disk-WTF AGAIN???

Looks like my project tomorrow will be to do a clean fresh install, tweak everything and set it up the way I want it and then try to clone drive again so I have a backup.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Dudester
    • Total Posts: 433
    @dudester

In other words, a regular Tuesday for me. :D

Recently my laptop decided to end its current OS, and then I tried installing Linux, but for some reason the computer didn’t like it (but Acer is supposed to be Linux friendly? Oh well, next time will be a Dell) then a refreshed install on Winblows 10 has been done, and just putting little by  little of the stuff I need.

Hobbit709
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 882
    @hobbit709

UPDATE: Flaky motherboard gave weird errors when trying to reinstall. So I hauled out a spare computer with a 3.5 GHz 6-core cpu and used Mozbackup to transfer my Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey profiles to it so I wouldn’t have to setup up 6 email addresses and all the user ID and passwords for everything all over again. Took 5 minutes instead of 2 days.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.