Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

so if a new wi-fi network suddenly

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
    Profile photo of FanBoy

so if a new wi-fi network suddenly

shows up on the list (I have one wifi connection) of networks windows will connect me to, what happened?

and if someone’s surreptiously added it, would it have to be done close by or could it be done at a distance?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
30 replies
  • 10 months ago #1
  • 10 months ago #22
  • 9 months ago #23
    • Fordfairlanestl (1111 posts)
      Profile photo of Fordfairlanestl

1. Most wifi

can be seen at 0-250 feet. A lot depends on the signal strength.

There is no one like Bernie Sanders. NO ONE!!! The cause is right!!  The time is NOW!!! Note: I ONLY vote for grass root progressive politicians that support: "Single Payer", "Tuition Free College", "15 bucks an hour". That is all.....
    • mikedub285 (7 posts)
      Profile photo of mikedub285

2. Probably a neighbor's wi fi is being "seen" by your device.

Hi FanBoy.  I think I also just pm’ed the following to you as well.

Probably your neighbors wi fi router (perhaps they just got one, or its Stronger on a certain day -if thats possible) is being detected by your device/computer.  We live out in the country — houses hundreds of feet apart– and sometimes our devices pick up a neighbor’s wi fi within our home, though it’s rare.  My guess is someone else’s router nearby is suddenly being seen by your computer. I think as long as your wi fi has a log in. Password, it should be secure.  Someone else can correct if I’m wrong on the security thing. Best. Mike

• MannyGoldstein (2286 posts)
      Profile photo of Manny Goldstein Admin

3. Did it connect you up? Or did you just see that it exists?

If the former, then there’s an issue of some sort. If the latter, normal behavior if a neighbor set up a new router/access point.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair
      • FanBoy (7985 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

6. it's on my internal list under "manage wifi" and i only have one provider.

also a snarky name,  I didn’t try connecting, and I don’t know if it did on its own.  but when I deleted it I stopped having constant disconnect troubles.  could be coincidental as the weathers been bad here, but its still bad and steady connection.

I can always see what network everyone in the area is connected to.  this wasn’t the same.  it was my computers own rank order of networks I could be connected to.  first was the one I pay for, second was ‘happy new year’

8. Was it password protected?

IIRC, some OSes will automatically connect to open (not passworded) connections.

You might want to change your router/access point’s id to “NSA remote unit 001749” or similar, if someone’s up to mischief it might give them heartburn!

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair
          • FanBoy (7985 posts)
            Profile photo of FanBoy

12. was which password protected? the happy new year wifi or mine?

14. Happy New Year. nt

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                Profile photo of FanBoy

17. no idea. didn't try it. since it was on my list of connections, i assumed

it would connect  (and be covered by my security code, which already exists internally)

• Ferd Berfel (5217 posts)
        Profile photo of Ferd Berfel Donor

26. Here is somethign to be aware of….

Comcast is forcing You to pay for free Public WiFi

https://jackpineradicals.com/groups/computers-and-technology/forum/topic/comcast-is-forcing-you-to-pay-for-free-public-wifi/#post-488388

…and you think you’re going to stop this simply by ‘pulling a lever’, in a booth, behind a curtain, every 2 years? - Know yourself. And if you need help with that, call the FBI. -  There is only ONE solution to this mess:  New Party !  
    • djean111 (5222 posts)
      Profile photo of djean111 Donor

4. I can see various neighbors' networks at times. If I tried to actually

connect, I am sure there is a password.  Funny thing I saw somewhere – you can name your network anything, so someone said hey, name your network CIA Surveillance Mobile Unit.  Of course, not so funny any more.  And they don’t need mobile units.

• *Obligatory disclaimer - when I say "Democratic Party" I mean the DNC - the Clintons and the un-elected people and the consultants and the lobbyists and the corporations who actually run things.  The people who work and vote and are registered as "D" are no more the actual party than Trekkies are Star Trek.   Extra credit - the Democratic Party gets to actually fuck up your life. When you vote for it.
      You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
      • Hobbit709 (2907 posts)
        Profile photo of Hobbit709 Donor

15. I know of one named Cumberland Surveillance Van #1

I won't shut up and I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing
    • faultindicator (973 posts)
      Profile photo of F I Donor

5. Comcast has made changes in this area

It was the SSIDs of everyone’s routers, then suddenly xfinitywifi entries began showing. It may just be this area though.

A reasonable request: Reduce daily TV viewing time by 1/2 hour starting now. Ask others to do the same, follow through with them, break the media habit. FI - Simple and straight forward, just like this place, solutions without the bullshit.
      • FanBoy (7985 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

7. i noticed that too, that xfinity had been showing — as 'unsecured' too.

• exindy (1290 posts)
        Profile photo of exindy Banned

9. I believe the router supplied by comcast

is a combined modem/router and has multiple wifi systems. One of them is the one “owned” by you, the other is controlled by them. As a comcast customer you can piggyback into someone else’s router — like when you’re visiting. IOW, they sell the bandwidth you bought to someone else. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

I own my own router. It has multiple wifis. One is a guest system that I activate when the family shows up. It also has features that the comcast one doesn’t.

I also own my own cable modem. It’s faster and more up-to-date than the one supplied by comcast.

Disclaimer: This post should in no way to be construed to be pro-Trump, nor should it be considered to be a support of his actions.
        • faultindicator (973 posts)
          Profile photo of F I Donor

11. It must be one of the neighbors

She doesn’t have cable routed, only uses the wireless for different teevees

A reasonable request: Reduce daily TV viewing time by 1/2 hour starting now. Ask others to do the same, follow through with them, break the media habit. FI - Simple and straight forward, just like this place, solutions without the bullshit.
        • FanBoy (7985 posts)
          Profile photo of FanBoy

16. in order to have a wifi on this particular list, i or whoever sets up the

system has to deliberately put it on the list.

can someone who doesn’t have access to my computer do that?

• Hobbit709 (2907 posts)

18. Are you talking about the list of available networks?

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
              Profile photo of FanBoy

20. No. I'm talking about "Manage Wireless Networks" in the

“Control Panel” of my computer.  The list that exists there has to be put there by *me* personally (or someone with access to my computer).  There’s no place to get an already existing “list” of networks there — you have to put them in yourself.

• exindy (1290 posts)

19. If it's the list that comes up on your PC

when you access the network center using the pop-up on the status bar, your computer is doing that all on its own. And just letting you know what it can see and which one you might be using. You’ll notice that it has a strength meter on each entry along with an indication of its access status.

It is possible in the router and its setup to override its recognition of nodes by deliberate specification of the MAC address for each device but that’s a real pain and most people just rely on their network key. Some people do both.

Disclaimer: This post should in no way to be construed to be pro-Trump, nor should it be considered to be a support of his actions.
            • FanBoy (7985 posts)
              Profile photo of FanBoy

21. There are two parts to that: if you just click on it, it shows the networks in

your neighborhood (the networks currently in use by I and my neighbors).

But then if you click again to open “Network and sharing center”, then click on “Manage wireless networks,” you get another list, which all the time I’ve had my computer has had only one item on it, my own paid-for network.  To get any others on that list, I have to add them manually; the computer doesn’t add them unless I (or someone with access) manually adds one.

• exindy (1290 posts)

10. Occam's Razor suggests that you have a neighbor

who brought up a new network. If it’s unsecured he’ll learn the hard way. A lot like the difference between a garage and a carport.

There are also products available which can jam wifi or bluetooth. Always someone ready to screw with everyone else. There are also products which can overwhelm a wifi system that work like the jammer. Since wireless is nothing more than radio it suffers the same weaknesses as all other radio.

On occasion my wireless gets hit with one of these. Suddenly my phone won’t hear my router that’s 30 feet away cause some other source is screaming in its ear. Nothing to do because I don’t know who is doing it. BTW, it’s illegal to do that.

The better way to handle the situation is to use a wired internet within the home as much as possible. And bring up the wifi only as needed. And it’s more efficient. Direct connecting your device to the router means that you’re not using the radio waves. I’d like to use the wired more but I have an older home and it’d be a lot of work to run the internet cables. The house I had before this one I built and I used a home run cabling system into an equipment room. That NSA guy parked in the street had to work harder to eavesdrop. :)

• Hobbit709 (2907 posts)

13. In my back bedroom I can pick up 6 signals.

In the front of the house I can pick up 9. the only ones I can log onto are mine and my one neighbor since they gave me the password.

Just because you can detect a signal doesn’t mean you can connect unless it’s an open network.

Where a friend of mine lives, I can sit in front of his house and pick up 15 signals on my phone.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

29. yes, i understand that. as i said, the network showed up on a list that

only I am (supposedly) allowed to enter it into: a list of networks I have chosen to connect to.

and as it happened simultaneous with a couple of other weird things in my life, it concerned me.

• Aerows (3871 posts)
      Profile photo of Aerows Donor

22. I liked the one labelled

“We can hear you having sex – close the windows”.  It wasn’t me, and I didn’t hear them, but I’m pretty sure someone in the neighborhood got the message :/.

Root: If we're just information, just noise in the system, we might as well be a symphony.
      • dEEDeeNL (108 posts)
        Profile photo of dEEDeeNL Banned

24. re: I liked the one labelled

> re: I liked the one labelled

ssid’s in close-quarters (eg city, apartments, etc) are funny sometimes…this one is (“We can hear you”) very very funny!

• dEEDeeNL (108 posts)

23. ssid broadcasts

> so if a new wi-fi network suddenly shows up on the list (I have one wifi connection) of networks windows will connect > me to, what happened? and if someone’s surreptiously added it, would it have to be done close by or could it be > > > done at a distance?

as others wrote/suggested, nothing to worry about: another network (new?) broadcasted their ssid and your wifi picked it up.

• mikedub285 (7 posts)
        Profile photo of mikedub285

25. I think a new network would be Nearby

Hi.  From what I’ve seen when our wi-fi list shows a new network, it is always from very close by.  In our case, of the new networks that show up, most of them include the last name, or known first name of one of the family members of a couple of our neighbors —-as part of their router’s name (apparently they renamed theirs, other than the default factory ‘name’). So I know the new ones that show up for us are from our neighbors, definitely close by … not from a distance.  I don’t think new ones would show up that we Not close by, fwiw. I think it’s based on how far nearby other network signals carry on a given day,    Because sometimes just ours shows up in our computer, but some other days, neighbors show up too.

• dEEDeeNL (108 posts)

27. re:I think a new network would be Nearby

25. I think a new network would be Nearby
          Hi.  From what I’ve seen when our wi-fi list shows a new network, it is always from very close by.  In our case, of the new networks that show up, most of them include the last name, or known first name of one of the family members of a couple of our neighbors —-as part of their router’s name (apparently they renamed theirs, other than the default factory ‘name’). So I know the new ones that show up for us are from our neighbors, definitely close by … not from a distance.  I don’t think new ones would show up that we Not close by, fwiw. I think it’s based on how far nearby other network signals carry on a given day,    Because sometimes just ours shows up in our computer, but some other days, neighbors show up too.

“very close by”…”the new .networks that show up, most of them include the last name, or known first name of one of the family members of a couple of our neighbors”…”definitely close by … not from a distance”. You will surprized-depending on terrain-how distant the signals travel. TY for reply

• glinda (2168 posts)
            Profile photo of glinda Donor

28. We used to only have listed a couple networks but the other day I

had about 9! Even had my neighbor’s iPhone one. But we are actually rural and live in a cul-du-sac with only 4 houses, then the houses get sparser. In fact some people have 6 acres separating us from them.

My MacBook Air will not connect automatically to my Wi-Fi and after 3 technicians at Apple they did a diagnostic and sent the report to the engineers who will have someone call me Monday I guess. It has them stumped.

What I don’t like are these sites that just popped up overnight practically and many do not have “names” on them. Maybe it is because I cannot wait to move away form the Alt-Righters that have moved in our neighborhood all of a sudden en masse.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
        • FanBoy (7985 posts)
          Profile photo of FanBoy

30. No, that's not it. But no one seems to understand my question.

Maybe it’s my explanation, but I don’t know how to make it clearer.