• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

Computers and Technology

Home Computers and Technology

The FBI just got its hands on data that Twitter wouldn’t give the CIA

• LiberalArkie (3905 posts)
    Profile photo of LiberalArkie Donor

The FBI just got its hands on data that Twitter wouldn’t give the CIA

The FBI has a new view into what’s happening on Twitter. Last week, the bureau hired Dataminr, a Twitter-linked analytics firm, to provide an “advanced alerting tool” to over 200 users. Twitter owns a 5 percent stake in Dataminr and provides it with exclusive access to the full “firehose” of live tweets, making it a valuable resource for anyone looking for illegal activity on the service.

“Twitter is used extensively by terrorist organizations and other criminals to communicate, recruit, and raise funds for illegal activity,” the FBI wrote in a contracting document. “With increased use of Twitter by subjects of FBI investigations, it is critical to obtain a service which will allow the FBI to identify relevant information from Twitter in a timely fashion.”

In order to identify that information, Dataminr agreed to provide its tool “to search the complete Twitter firehose, in near-real time, with customizable filters.”

More

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/14/13629248/fbi-dataminr-twitter-surveillance-contract-scanning-police

VoiceOfReason, Mom Cat, Sadie and 1 otherLive and Learn like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• McLovin (158 posts)
    Profile photo of McLovin

1. Criminals and terrorists baffle me.

In my wildest dreams, I can’t understand why anyone communicating within a criminal network would use twitter instead of something like Redphone, Signal, and/or Tails.

Options:

1. Free end-to-end encrypted calls & texts that are darknet routed (TOR). VERY hard to track, even for governments knowing you are communicating.
    2. Twitter.

I mean, c’mon… really?

On December 28, 2014, Der Spiegel published slides from an internal NSA presentation dating to June 2012 in which the NSA deemed Signal’s encrypted voice calling component (RedPhone) on its own as a “major threat” to its mission, and when used in conjunction with other privacy tools such as Cspace, Tor, Tails, and TrueCrypt was ranked as “catastrophic,” leading to a “near-total loss/lack of insight to target communications, presence…”[84][85] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)

BelieveLand