Computers and Technology

Time to Dump Chrome–Google Dropping Adblockers

• Author

NJCher
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 319
    @njcher

snip:

Google has found itself under fire for plans to limit the effectiveness of popular ad blocking extensions in Chrome. While Google says the changes are necessary to protect the “user experience” and improve extension security, developers and consumer advocates say the company’s real motive is money and control.

As it stands, the Chrome web store currently offers users a wide variety of ad blocking extensions that can help curtail the volume and nosiness of online advertising. From Adblock to Ghostery, such extensions make it harder for ad networks to build a detailed profile of your online activities or serve you behavioral ads based on your daily browsing habits.

Last year, Google began hinting at some changes to Chrome’s extension system as part of its Manifest V3 proposal. Under these changes, Google said it would be modifying permissions and other key aspects of Chrome’s extensions system. The extension development community didn’t respond well, and said the changes would harm many popular user tools.

Currently, many Chrome adblock extensions use Chrome’s webRequest API, letting users block ads before they even reach the browser. But Google’s proposal would require extensions use the declarativeNetRequest API, which leaves it to the browser to decide what gets blocked based on a list of predetermined rules. While some extensions, like AdBlock, already use the latter, developers say the overall result will be tools that simply don’t work quite as well overall.

snip

More at link:  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evy53j/google-struggles-to-justify-making-chrome-ad-blockers-worse

I use Vivaldi, which is based on Chrome. I hope the Vivaldi people will keep our ability to use the ad blockers intact.

NJCher
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 319
    @njcher

This article might shed a little light on the situation with Vivaldi:

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/20/vivaldi-2-6-will-block-abusive-advertisement-by-default/

Satan
    • Total Posts: 1,425
    @satan

The obvious question here is whether these changes will take place in the core of the Chromium browser code itself, or just in the Google branded “Chrome” part that they put on top of it.  Because if it’s the former, that would also screw up Vivaldi, Opera, Brave, the new and improved Micro$oft Edge and pretty much every other browser that’s not Mozilla Firefox. Which is why Firefox remains my default browser. And the latest version (67.0) seems to be running considerably faster than the others, perhaps Mozilla finally clued into the fact that they are the one remaining hold out against Chromium based browsers. Hell, it’s starting to remind me of the old Nutscrape v MSIE wars of the 90s!

I do most of my ad blocking at the router level, in order to keep the crap off my allegedly “smart” phone and various streaming devices, but that doesn’t catch everything unfortunately. YouTube ads are the worst, and you need some sort of browser based plugin to catch that dragonshit.

I didn't refuse to vote for Hillary Clinton because any goddamned Russian told me to. I refused to vote for her because she is a warmongering, election stealing, Goldman Sachs fellating, Republican WHORE. No offense to sex workers.

Babel 17
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,765
    @babel17

Google can set their browser to stop performing functions that we take for granted.

I use Firefox.

https://www.tulsi2020.com/

Hobbit709
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 882
    @hobbit709

The way Google data mines everything is why I never used their browser to start with.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Satan
    • Total Posts: 1,425
    @satan

Meanwhile Mozilla Firefox is going the opposite direction, increasing their anti-tracking, pro-privacy features all the time. And they made a point of blocking Google Analytics in the most recent release. Which I interpret as Mozilla saying to Google: You want a browser war? You got one, assholes!

I didn't refuse to vote for Hillary Clinton because any goddamned Russian told me to. I refused to vote for her because she is a warmongering, election stealing, Goldman Sachs fellating, Republican WHORE. No offense to sex workers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.