Computers and Technology

Undervolting ryzen 7 2700x

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,276

So my CPU keeps reaching temps of around 85-90 C.  At those temps I can’t even get it to start on reboot.  I’ve checked the (stock) fans and everything looks good.

I’m hitting these temps playing Stardew Valley, which should be no problem for my CPU (GPU is an rx 2060 6gb)

I downloaded ryzen master to keep an eye on the temp, but have no clue what to do with it.  Should I follow a YouTube guide and attempt to undervolt?  Will that reduce cpu temp?

I probably need an additional fan…

Driving me nuts, I can’t see any reason for it to be overheating like it is.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,307

….to whatever you can afford, and whatever will fit inside your PC tower. Lowering the voltage would lower the temperature somewhat, but it’s always risky to overclock or underclock anything. Always good if you can practice that sort of thing on hardware than you can afford to lose, should anything go horribly wrong.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,501
        Satan
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 5,307

I know that was a promotional gimmick just to sell their booze, but flammable liquids probably aren’t the best choice for liquid cooling. Certainly not in an extremely warm environment like Hell!

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

David the Gnome
      Participant

That I can really think of is either getting the aio pump checked, or re-applying thermal paste.  Opened it up to make sure nothing was catching on anything, hooked it back up and now the temp is hitting 84 in the bios.  Jumped from like 68 on startup.

I’m debating whether to take it to a pro to have it looked at, or get/build a new PC.  Damn expensive though, so i would probably get an alienware or cyberpowerpc on a payment plan.

Glad I quit smoking, can probably afford a new one if I can’t fix this.

mrdmk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,693

As an experiment, try these first:

(1) Check for a BIOS update. At the same time, check for MAX Cooling vs. Quite Mode.

(2) If you feel confident in removing and applying new thermal paste, do that. At the same time, you can check to see if there is a proper contact between CPU and heat sink i.e. all plastic labels were removed. It will save you problems in the future. High heat is not good for electronics.

(3) Turn-off Turbo boost. Sounds like a bummer, it can be turned back on. Ryzen processors do run hot, 85+ is not unexpected.

(4) If none of these work, consult a pro. It could be as simple as having a bad or improper fan.

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

Warning DO NOT CLICK HERE!
      Hobbit709
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,649

I’ve never had much faith in AMD stock coolers.

My main cpu is a FX-8350 running at 5 GHz instead of 4. Using a Corsair H60 liquid cooler with it. My idle temps are usually right at 15°C. Even when I’m processing/converting 4K video files, it rarely goes above 40°C. The highest temp I ever got was about 65°C and after I blew the dust out of the radiator it dropped back down to normal temps.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

David the Gnome
      Participant

@mrdmk

Do you mean turn off turbo on the fan or the cpu?  Haven’t seen the option for the cpu.

I haven’t ever tried applying the thermal paste before – and to be honest I have no idea what the heck the manufacturer did for that.  It is possible they didn’t apply any to begin with.  The system is about 3 years old – was about 1400 bucks from a website/company called ibuypower.

In retrospect, I wish I had held out for a system with better cooling.

@hobbit709

The CPU cooler is stock, but not the wraith prism I expected with the 2700x.  There is also a stock chassis fan.  Cpu cooler runs at 4000-4300 rpm.  Chassis fan around 700 rpm.

I watched on ryzen master last night as I loaded the simple game.  Cpu temp quickly jumped from the 60s, to high 70s, to mid 80s.  85 C probably isn’t terrible, but it is enough to get a big warning in BIOS.

Going to try to get the pro to diagnose it, if repair would be more than 400, I’ll just get a new system.  Could maybe use the same GPU I have now, but my tower sucks.

I want to get something with plenty of room and support for GPU and a couple hard drives.  Extra fans.  My case is really short on space, which doesn’t help with cooling either.

David the Gnome
      Participant

Only took a few minutes in BIOS for CPU temp to jump to 85C.  No idea why.  Yeah, I’m going to need someone with more tech to look at it.  It’s kind of frustrating.

I wonder if the CPU is damaged, or possibly the AIO pump.  No idea how to deal with those.

If I go with a dell/alienware system I could get something pretty sweet at somewhere around 70-100 a month, thanks to the student loan freeze giving my credit a huge boost.

Should probably do it before they come due again.  Ugh.  Maybe take out a loan and get the interest locked in.

A good PC is a must for me, pretty sure I would totally lose it (the rest of ‘it’) without one.  God damn cheap ass parts… Maybe I should look for a good tower with some pre building and just swap in my GPU and ssd.  Be a lot cheaper.  CPU is pricey though.

Babel 17
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,376

The next one was geared for the latest Ryzen, but might still be informative.

Is it a thing to tap the pump in case an air bubble is in it?

Babel 17
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,376

I can only guess as to why, maybe that’s how stability gets checked.

I’m not saying that your CPU isn’t heating up too much when you’re in your BIOS, just that some increase in temps, and fan speeds, are afaik considered par for the course.

Hobbit709
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 2,649

Idling at my desktop screen my temps are in the 15-20°C range.

In BIOS the temps range from 35-40°C’

And that is with my cpu OC’d to 5 GHz from the rated 4 GHz.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

David the Gnome
      Participant

Yeah, typically it didnt go beyond the 50s in bios for me.  I dropped it off with a local tech, just asked for a diagnosis and quote.  If it’s over 200 dollars, I’ll just buy an older PC and swap in my GPU, ram and ssd.  Would have to do a bit of poking around first to make sure I got one that could fit it all.  Probably a large tower.

Of course, then there’s the motherboard… And whether or not it could support my ram and such.

I’ll figure something out.  Thanks all.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.