• we are aware

We are aware of the periodic outages for some members and are working to correct the problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. This is due to the upgrade and we'll get it done.

• working on it

If you are having login or password reset issues, please email [email protected] or [email protected]

DIY & Home Improvement

Home DIY & Home Improvement

I am finally in my tiny house. We gutted

• jwirr (2815 posts)
    Profile photo of jwirr Donor

I am finally in my tiny house. We gutted

it and it is finally done. I started moving in on Feb. 1 and am just finding places for everything. Some of my things are still in storage and I do not have everything I need but I have most things. The one big thing I do not have is a recliner that will allow me to have an extra bed for the great grands and the will allow me to set in a more comfortable  chair when I am not at the computer.

Once I get everything in its place I will take pictures and get my daughter to help me post here and explain more. I am 75 years old and this is the first time in my entire life that I have lived alone. Always lived with parents, husband and girls, handicapped child and adult daughter and since then in various families spare bedroom. I am actually afraid that I will get too lonesome.

Pastiche, glinda, 7wo7rees and 16 othersViva la Revolution, madfloridian, Lynetta, NVBirdlady, em77, historylovr, Jan Boehmermann, Haikugal, Doremus Jessup, Silver Witch, Land of Enchantment, Downwinder, Sadie, HeartoftheMidwest, KarenS, Bluesuedeshoes like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
21 replies
  • 1 month ago #3
    • Bluesuedeshoes (2040 posts)
      Profile photo of Bluesuedeshoes Donor

1. Wow! An exciting new journey!

Please update as often as you wish.

I am certain many JPR posters are interested.

• Mom Cat (6168 posts)
      Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

2. Good luck with the new adventure. Hope you find room for the recliner. I could

not cope without mine.

As for the lonesome, I hope  that JPR will help with that!

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          
      • jwirr (2815 posts)

9. JPR is family and there for us all the time. My family knew I would not move in

until my computer was hooked up.

• Sadie (3051 posts)
      Profile photo of Sadie Donor

3. Good for you!

Can’t wait to hear more.  

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
    • Haikugal (4660 posts)
      Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

4. Wonderful news! If you do find yourself getting lonely for a physical presence

I suggest adopting a homeless cat. They are wonderful companions. I am interested in hearing about your experience living in the tiny house. Where will it be parked?

:hi:

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!
      • jwirr (2815 posts)

10. Actually it is not on wheels. It is an old cabin from what used to be a resort

in the 40s. We took most of the insides out and redid it – new insulation, new wall board, flooring over a concrete floor, new wiring and plumbing, new windows, new metal roofing and heating. My daughter said that in all it will have cost us about $10,ooo when it is done.

It is located in my daughter’s back yard between her house and the garden area. Actually there are boxes for gardening all around the outer edges. One of the best things is that it overlooks a small portion of the lake they live on. Passive solar heating is just about too much as when the sun is out it gets too hot in here.

Regarding space and downsizing I have been living in various family bedrooms for years now and have been downsizing with every move so I have plenty of space. Of course with 12 great grandchildren that remains to be seen. I think they are going to look at this as their playhouse. That is okay with me as long as they obey the rules.

I originally posted about an old brick covered heater from the original cabin – asking how to use it for heat now – we ended up leaving it set there, painted it grey and are ignoring it at the moment. I love house plants and the mantle will be loaded with them eventually. At the moment the plants are on a small table in front of the south facing 6 foot window. They love it.

More later.

• Haikugal (4660 posts)

11. I remember! What a wonderful project for all concerned. This is excellent news

and I will be looking forward to pics….please!! :hi:

I will send you a carefree plant that I got from Texas..it’s beautiful and easy going…when the weather is warm enough for it not to freeze. If you’d like. As a house warming…

• jwirr (2815 posts)

15. It will be a while before any poor plant can live outside here. Snowed yesterday

and sun shining today. Crazy weather.

• Haikugal (4660 posts)

16. Same here..it has been very warm for several days now expect snow.

I have passive solar in my place in that there are large windows that face the right direction and the warmth from the sun in winter is wonderful.

• Jan Boehmermann (2503 posts)
      Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

5. I'm really looking forward to your pictures.

I am contemplating starting a similar project this spring.

• Haikugal (4660 posts)

12. You'll share with us I hope Jan?

• Jan Boehmermann (2503 posts)
          Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

19. I will…… still looking for that "small" house with property.

Vintage small rural properties are hard to find.

• NVBirdlady (3774 posts)
      Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

6. Congratulations on your journey. How wonderful.

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
    • jerryd (387 posts)
      Profile photo of jerryd

7. Where is your tiny house situated?

Is it on a slab or wheels?

Here in Co there are small towns changing their codes to allow tiny homes but on fixed pads with elec, water and sewer…maybe a bit of space for gardens.

• jwirr (2815 posts)

13. Slab in a rural area. We have a well that supplies water for three household,

share electrical access but the area is planning a new sewer line that will extend clear around our lake (to help clean it up) and that should start going in next year. It will be expensive but we love our lake so are not complaining (much anyhow). Since the cabin was already in place and we only changed outside hookups the laws did not have much to say. We just followed existing laws. At the moment I am using my daughter’s wifi and internet connection but plan to get my own soon – they both will work better that way. Hoping not to have to use DTV server as I already have a Roku and am going to try to use it. I cut out a lot of tv after seeing how they play with the Clinton politicians. Want some way to be able to pay for only what I want.

Our “commune” is  really a family project. Daughter and son-in-law own the acreage and now two of us are living on it and there are plans for my granddaughter and her family to build a somewhat bigger home just beside me. They were delighted to know that I was going to live there as I am their chief babysitter.

About a mile away from us on one side of the lake my grandson and his family run our community farm with gardens and animals. I also babysit for them. Then on another side of the lake another grandson and his family live in tribal housing – very nice home. His mother lives about a mile from us on the lake so I am very close to all of them. The others live in small towns close by. Years ago I decided that our family would stay together (rather than moving to California etc.) and I have been amazingly successful at that. We are all here for each other.

• glinda (1546 posts)
      Profile photo of glinda Donor

8. I am so very happy for you. Enjoy it. Make hot cocoa and light a candle.

You have been through far enough. Congratulations!

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
      • jwirr (2815 posts)

14. My candles are some of the things I still have in storage. They should be coming

this weekend.

• glinda (1546 posts)
          Profile photo of glinda Donor

17. Yeah! Hope they are scented nicely.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
          • jwirr (2815 posts)

18. Thank you.

• marlieskaes (3 posts)
              Profile photo of marlieskaes

20. Congratulations :)

It great to know that you are finally getting to be in a place of your own. Have a great time. Just make sure that you keep up to date with your bills and you pay everything on time. Making your house energy efficient can save you a lot of money. Here is a blog that mentions some ways in which you can make your house energy efficient ( http://www.landmarkquality.com/blog/energy-efficient-home/healthy-living-energy-efficient-home ). All the very best and have a great time.

• jwirr (2815 posts)

21. Thank you. One surprising energy efficient item that we did not count on is all

the windows have southern exposure. I have been able to keep my heat at 60 degrees due to the insolation and those windows. Only when it is below 0 did I have to turn it up a little – and when the wind was blowing between 35 and 50 miles per hour.

Most of the things in the article we have done.

Thank you. Just about totally moved in so will have pics soon.