• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

DIY & Home Improvement

Home DIY & Home Improvement

I HATE my popcorn ceilings!

• glinda (1792 posts)
    Profile photo of glinda Donor

I HATE my popcorn ceilings!

I am a senior so doing a ton of work on removing them is out of the question. We hope to get our home basically “visually” sellable by next year and every single stinking room has popcorn ceilings.

The living room has some slight discoloring along “beams” mostly due to I think the neighbor burning his outdoor wood stove and the kitchen has about a 2 yard L-shaped patch missing after we repaired a leak. Once we found it!

So my question is after reading how hard it is to paint that type of ceiling….does anyone have any ideas like is there popcorn sparkle of some sort? Then I guess I can try to paint carefully over that one ceiling. As far as the discoloring  goes….any ideas?

We have basically lost all of downpayment on this place and hopefully can get out without owing at this point. Thanks.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
20 replies
  • quilter4bernie (17 posts)
    Profile photo of quilter4bernie

1. We have them too, and I hate them.

We bought a house with them 17 years ago and couldn’t afford to get rid of them, so my husband spray painted them before we moved in. They still look great except for a couple of spots where the roof leaked.

So far, making America great again seems to be getting rid of Medicare and appointing Nazis. I really need to Google "great."  
  • elias39 (3217 posts)
    Profile photo of elias39 Donor

2. They suck. I tried repainting with a roller.WRONG.

the popcorn crap started peeling off. And not n a nice, tidy way. Yeah, if you paint, you have to spray which has plenty of issues of its own. You could try to spray (with a can) the discolored areas. That should work OK.

“Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing
    • glinda (1792 posts)

12. I thought about that but am not sure I can match the color.

• LimeTree (43 posts)
    Profile photo of LimeTree Donor

3. On discolored areas, I've used Kilz with success

I brush on two or more coats before applying the finish color. I know I’ve applied enough when the color is uniform (the stain is invisible) when the Kilz is dry. It keeps the discoloration from bleeding through after the finish color is applied.

• djean111 (4176 posts)
    Profile photo of djean111 Donor

4. There is popcorn spray. But – I have fallen madly in love with the thought of

“popcorn sparkle”!!!!!  I assume you meant spackle – but the idea of sparkling popcorn ceilings has brightened a very damp and dark and dreary morning, here in Florida.

I have popcorn ceilings, too – I vacuum them with the brush attachment on my beloved little orange hoover canister, easy to carry up a ladder.  The thing about getting rid of popcorn ceilings – here in Florida, at least, the popcorn may be covering a not too nicely finished ceiling, so there may be more work than just covering everything with drop cloths and spraying water and scraping. To paint popcorn, I just use a long-napped roller, very gently. Kilz makes great products to cover stains, as others here have said.

You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
  • Peace13 (954 posts)
    Profile photo of Peace13 Donor

5. I have painted many a popcorn ceiling using a fairly thick roller.

Good paint will cover in one coat. Test a closet area to see if your particular popcorn accepts this method of application. If you have a good local paint store stop in and talk to them. They may have some pointers.  I have learned many tips from our local store. :  )

Life's too short to vote for immoral warmongers.
  • GZeusH (1703 posts)
    Profile photo of GZeusH

6. Here's a fix

So there’s a new patch of drywall on the ceiling, and it sticks out because there is no “popcorn” on it.  Then you need to make some.  Unfortunately, you can’t just go buy some popcorn at the hardware store, but you can mix some up.

1. Get some plaster or spackling compound and add enough water so that it is as thick as pancake batter.
    2. Dip a sturdy 4″ paint brush into it, and shake off the excess onto the patch you want to cover.
    3. It may take a little trial and error, adjusting the thickness of the batter, but soon you should be able to spatter lumps of the right size.
    4. Let it dry and see how it looks.
    5. You may have to do more than one application until it is visually similar to the popcorn next to it.
    6. Now you are ready to paint it with Kilz.

It’s  all in wrist, how you fling the plaster at the area you want to texture.

Policy:  The mistaken notion that bossy people have that they can influence other people's behavior through majority rule.
    • tiamat (678 posts)
      Profile photo of tiamat Donor

7. So this stuff doesn't work? Crap, I thought I could solve my problem with it.

Homax Popcorn Ceiling Texture Spray

I noticed there was no close-up of the repair.

After bee removal from the attic through the ceiling, there is discoloration of the popcorn.

• GZeusH (1703 posts)
        Profile photo of GZeusH

8. It's hard to get big chunks through a spray nozzle

And a lot easier to fling them off the end of a brush.  Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Policy:  The mistaken notion that bossy people have that they can influence other people's behavior through majority rule.
        • tiamat (678 posts)
          Profile photo of tiamat Donor

11. Thank you! I'm old and small and most of my DIY projects go sideways.

I keep doing them, anyway.

• glinda (1792 posts)

15. Will try to find that. Thanks!

• glinda (1792 posts)

13. Hahahaaaa! Sounds like a total mess!

• Silver Witch (4835 posts)
    Profile photo of Silver Witch Donor

9. it is a mess to strip.

I have done it several times. One of my ex’s was a drywaller and he did it easy peasey except for the mess. We would dampen it with a garden water sprayer with a wee bit of soap,  let it sit a wee bit and scrap with wide drywall blade.

For the DIYer I recommend the special cans of drywall popcorn spray. But wear a mask please. You could blow on some sparkle but it discolors over time.  Get a product from Kilz if you can it covers stains.

The recommendation with a brush will work for patching but I recommend getting a small box of drywall compound and making a “batter”. It will stick better to the drywalled ceiling.

#Let'sTalkRevolution
    • glinda (1792 posts)

17. Thanks. I am good with the arts, sculpture, materials. So replicating is not a

problem. Good info.

19. You can totally do it Glinda

Sorry for am!l the typos. I think my kindle drinks a little and makes up words. My ex used to have me practice on scrape drywall until I got the hang of flicking the paintbrush dipped in the “batter” to get the right blob effect.   It was actually fun. Good luck!!

#Let'sTalkRevolution
  • A little weird (471 posts)
    Profile photo of A little weird Donor

10. I've had the misfortune of painting popcorn ceilings

It’s been a long time but I remember at least some of the things I learned:

-Before you paint, dust the ceiling/remove spider webs – I used a feather duster.

-Also I remember the painter I talked to said only to do it if the ceiling had been painted before.  He said if it hadn’t been then the popcorn would absorb the paint too well and come off.  (Mine had been painted before so I don’t know what remedy he suggested if it hadn’t been. I assume that if it’s not been painted, you shouldn’t roll it but should spray instead.)

-Get a roller with a thick nap – at least 1″. (I’ve found the thicker the nap, the more splatter you get so don’t skimp on the drop cloths.)

-Roll in a straight line (no zig zag) and in one direction – if you go back and forth the popcorn is more likely to get wet and peel off.

-I don’t know about this for sure but I think he told me to use acrylic paint instead of latex and to thin it a little bit.  But I might be getting my projects mixed up so it would probably be best to check with someone at the paint store to see what they recommend.

-I don’t know if you meant sparkle or spackle.  I have seen the sparkle (glitter?) on those ceilings in a lot of older homes but mine were just white.  I’ll bet you can just paint over them but I think they sell a glitter glaze if you want to keep that fabulous retro look.  

Good luck!

• glinda (1792 posts)

14. I just noticed Spellcheck turned spackle to sparkle. Funny!

• night (163 posts)
        Profile photo of night

16. I will just add,

do I hate textured ceilings.  In my neck of the woods they used plaster with what looks like sand in it.  I hope this can be painted, because I, a little old lady myself, am going to try.

Every time I think about these ceilings, I think, they did that because they were too cheap or too unskilled to do smooth plaster.

• glinda (1792 posts)

18. Almost sounds stronger than popcorn ceilings though….

20. That is exactly why they do Night.

Smooth ceilings are hard. Imagine working over your head for days.  Plus it hides where taping is not smooth on the seams.

Plaster should take the paint better than out west where is is just drywall mud which disintegrates when it get damp!

#Let'sTalkRevolution