Electronic Music

I’m curious

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gryneos
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,650

Do y’all like any of the newer electronic music I sometimes post? Because most of the posts I see from members of this group are of the roots of electronic. That’s all fine and good, but it has branched into a huge tree now, with many wonderful modern branches (sub-genres) to enjoy.

I also ask because I find that I generally cannot talk with friends about electronic music because most are less than half my age and when you say “electronic music” the only thing they think is EDM (Electronic Dance Music). That’s all that most music-sources expose to them. And most of my older friends are stuck in the past, only listening to the older electronic groups.

And here I am, listening primarily to people like Sounds From The Ground, Andy Pickford, Martins Garden, EMOG, Jarguna, Erik Wøllo, Steve Roach, echospace (label), Alex Reece, DRRTYWULVZ, Mlada Fronta, Marsh, Professor Kliq, and more than I can name in a short post.

And yet, most of the people I know in both generations have either never heard of any of those (younger) or maybe a tiny fraction (older). I would hope that the members here would be more musically adventurous than that.

So, that said, for modern music, is there any sub-genre or musician you like the most? We all know the bands of the past. Who are the ones producing new music now that you like?

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 6,314

I listened to a LOT of his stuff in the days of “space music” or “new age” (whatever genre)… I see that you mentioned the echo space label, so naturally I was curious.

My tastes run pretty wide, so could you point me to something he’s done currently?

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Gryneos
        Participant

and it’s yuge! :~)
        https://steveroach.bandcamp.com

It’s not necessarily organized by date, but I’m sure you’ll find new stuff there. He also has a good listing of his catalog on his own website:
        http://steveroach.com/discography/

One thing about the echospace label is that the music does require good speakers with excellent bass response, and I ain’t got that here (yet). So, I have to listen to it with headphones or I get speaker buzz. Here’s their Bandcamp page (Bandcamp is where I discover most new electronic music):

https://echospacedetroit.bandcamp.com

Who are you? | What do you want? | Why are you here? | Where are you going? | Do you have anything worth living for? | Who do you serve and who do you trust?

Mr. Mickeys Mom

I’m a gonna check it out tonight! @Gryneos!

Gryneos
            Participant

There’s a lot of music to go through and Roach does love multiple-hour compositions :~)

I also recommend using the ‘electronic’ or ‘ambient’ tags on Bandcamp, as well as reading their “Bandcamp Daily” blog on electronic. Like all of the other genres they cover there, it’s done by a “best of” for each month. Great way to find new music/musicians: https://daily.bandcamp.com/best-electronic/the-best-electronic-music-on-bandcamp-june-2021

h-32
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 134

Thanks for the bandcamp “best of” link, @gryneos !

Gryneos
                Participant

I noticed at the top of the main Bandcamp Daily page today that they had a post titled “Five Records Made With Invented Instruments” which is about experimental music. Something I’ll have to check out later tonight, too.

Mr. Mickeys Mom

I just got a new MacBookPro and long story short, they threw in a pair of air pods. Excellent for Steve Roach and ambient music.

And one day…. at band camp…..  👁👁 !!!

Gryneos
                Participant

BC is my primary means of buying music, partly because they only take a 10-15% cut, and on “Bandcamp Fridays” they take no cut, so 100% goes to the artist. I don’t remember if they are still doing that, but I believe it’s the first Friday of every month.

The other reason, is that I don’t stream from Spotify, or Pandora, or Amazon, or Tidal, or whatever other subscription-based streaming services there are. I do recommend having a listen to soma fm and Jamendo which makes artists pages on their free service where you can download lossy (mp3 or ogg) versions of their albums. Usually, I try to find their works on BC or other places which at least offer Hi-Res formats like FLAC.

Right now I’m listening to a group which is no longer such, called Ambient Temple of Imagination (AToI). There’s a beat, but overall it’s pretty spacey. They have a channel on Youtube, as well as a page on BC.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.