Health and Fitness

Home Health and Fitness

Potato Diet / Fast / Cleanse. Anyone tried this?

• cui bono (1638 posts)
    Profile photo of cui bono Donor

Potato Diet / Fast / Cleanse. Anyone tried this?

I was reading about Paleo diets a few months ago. Then I started reading and watching videos that debunked that. Now I’ve just found out about the Potato Diet. It comes in various forms, but basically it’s eating nothing but potatoes for a period of time. There’s a guy with a youtube channel and book called Spud Fit who went on only potatoes for a whole year. There’s others who say do it for a few weeks to reset your body and others who regularly do 3 days/week of only potatoes.

The general idea is that potatoes fill you up so you retrain your body to eat less calories to become satiated. And they say potatoes are nutricious enough to sustain your health for a few weeks.

I might try it out for a week or two to lose the 10lbs of fat I’ve put on recently and to break my sugar addiction that has taken over lately since the more I think I need to not eat it the more of it I eat.

Has anyone else tried this potato diet in any form?

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/12/potato-diet-interpretation.html

http://www.healthy-dietpedia.com/potato-diet.html

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=soud+fit&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Mom Cat likes this
    The DNC can try to squash us but we'll just come back stronger.   

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
24 replies
    • MrMickeysMom (1779 posts)
      Profile photo of MrMickeysMom Donor

1. Your question made me join the group, cui…

Let’s see… I like doing my homework on this…

Each potatoes is about a cup and a half and 280 calories baked, flesh and skin without salt.

Of that, there’s very little sugar, very little protein and mostly complex carbohydrate. Certainly, if you continued eating like this, it would NOT benefit the balance of proteins needed to circulate for how your blood regulates fluids in and out of you body’s cells. I think it’s a bad idea for over a few days. It might be a good way to drop a few pounds at time.

But, as somebody who values good nutrition and loves to experiment in my kitchen, I’ve got a better idea. Why don’t you just supplement this potato thing by adding microwaved veggies like broccoli and corn? Then, add black beans, cumin and cooked onions/garlic another night. Drink a lot of water. Throw in a good mixture of frozen fruit and apples (like a smoothy or at least the fruit over some no-fat yogurt) in the morning.

After you drop a few pounds start exercising somewhat like walking or biking. It’ll rev up your metabolism.

I’m betting the potato thing by itself will make you sad… And, we don’t want no sad cui bono, do we?  :hi:

Hell no...I'm not giving up...     cat-gif-238.gif giphy.gif
      • cui bono (1638 posts)

3. LOL… I don't want to haz a sad!

Yeah, I was thinking that I love baked potatoes but I smother them with butter and good amount of salt! But, I thought I could bake some garlic alongside them and put that and a little rosemary on them and give them some flavor. Then I thought the same thing as you, that I might just eat a ton of potatoes but supplement them a bit. However, the people touting this say that the potato has a lot of the daily nutrients needed, including protein! I’m just getting started researching this though.

But one of the things about doing potatoes only seems to be to reset your body to help with overeating. Now I don’t have an issue with overeating though, just that I’m eating too much chocolate and sugary stuff.

That Spud Fit guy ate only potatoes for a whole year! I watched a video of his today where he showed his blood test results after more than 250 days I think it was, and he was doing fine. Now, I wouldn’t ever do this for a whole year, but I might just do a week. I do have a chocolate bar in the cabinet I have to finish first.  hehe…

Well, if all it gets me is seeing you in this group then it’s a success!  :)

• cui bono (1638 posts)

11. After reading more about this, turns out you get pretty much everything you need

from just potatoes! I got The Potato Hack and it explains a lot of this.

I’m making a report on my go at it below in response to MomCat.

• Mom Cat (14850 posts)
      Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

2. As a spud lover, I really like this idea, but what happens the year after you go

off the diet? Most diets work for the short term but you end up putting the weight back. Any thoughts?

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          
      • cui bono (1638 posts)

4. What I'm gathering is that your body learns to stop eating sooner

if you were an overeater. I’ve read where people said they were eating less food when they went off potatoes. They got full sooner and were able to stop eating when they were first feeling full instead of continuing to eat. And of course you’d have to stay on a good diet.

One thing that seems to be stressed as well is to show that all carbs aren’t bad, that some are good and that potatoes don’t contribute to insulin issues or spike your blood sugar.

I figure for me, I can probably drop 5lbs in a week if I do it and hopefully break my sugar habit that while it isn’t really that bad if you look at what others eat/drink in a day, it is contributing to me gaining fatty weight. And it’s all mental. The more I think about how I shouldn’t eat it, the more I want to eat it and I just don’t stop myself.

• Mom Cat (14850 posts)

5. Keep us posted on how it works out. I am tempted to try it. I just

need to find out if potatoes tend to be precursors to kidney stones. I tend to get them and at one time heard there might be a correlation.

• cui bono (1638 posts)

6. I did read something in a comment about having to worry about stones.

But nothing that was proven or documented.

I figure it can’t be that bad for a week.

• Mom Cat (14850 posts)

8. Just found an article recommending potatoes to PREEVENT. kidney stones!

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/kidney-stones-diet-amazing-foods-to-prevent-kidney-stones/  :bananas:

• cui bono (1638 posts)

10. Interesting. And spinach encourages them!

The whole world is upside down!!!  :)

Well I’m checking my fridge today and I think I might be able to start on the potato thing tomorrow or the next day. But I do have one more chocolate bar and a pack of gum to get through first. And no, I can’t just throw it out! That’s crazy talk!!!  ;)

• cui bono (1638 posts)

13. Okay, I did it! 4 days half-ass and 5 days only potatoes!!!

I accidentally made a variation by eating sweet potatoes. I didn’t know they aren’t actually potatoes. :blush:

So the first 2 days I still had some greens I wanted to use so I made my kale/chard/fruit drink in the mornings. I also had a little hummus left so I used that on my baked potatoes. And I had almond milk so I had a few hot chocolates during those first days. The first night because I wanted to ween myself off the sugar intake since I didn’t want to have a major headache from it.

Then I did 5 full days of potatoes and sweet potatoes, mostly white, having the sweet potatoes at the end of the day, as a dessert so to speak.

I feel great! The first few days I was kind of tired and fell asleep early on the couch. Then energy picked up. One of the benefits is better sleep though. I did sleep very soundly, but I pretty much always do.

I lost 4.2 lbs, and lost an inch in my waist, hips, buttocks, thigh and upper arm.

The 5th day I wanted to eat some turkey and cheddar cheese that was in the fridge but didn’t. The 6th day we had rain and I really wanted to heat up some soup, I even grabbed a can out of the pantry and looked at it, but then I put it away. After that it was super easy!

On the baked potatoes I used a little drizzle of olive oil (you’re not supposed to use any oil though, next time I won’t) and some seasoning, either rosemary or a mediterranean salt blend. For the mashed I used gold potatoes and baked some garlic and squeezed some in and used a little bit of almond milk to make them creamier, then seasoned a little. I roasted red potatoes then fried them up with rosemary. I used a little spray coconut oil – next time I won’t.

Once I got used to it it was super easy! MUCH easier than when I’ve done cleanses where you eliminate certain foods/ingredients for a few weeks. With the potato hack you don’t have to think about what you’re going to eat since you know it’s potatoes, so it’s much easier. You just resign yourself and don’t spend time thinking about food.

I highly recommend this. I’m going on a vacation where I’ll be eating BBQ and southern cooking and then I’m going to do this again for 4-7 days after I’m back. I think I’ll do it once a month for 4-7 days at a time actually.

Here’s a site & blog by the author of the book I’ve been reading, The Potato Hack.
            https://potatohack.com/potato-diet-info/
            http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com/

Do it!!!  =)

• Mom Cat (14850 posts)

14. Wow! Thanks for the update! It sounds easy. I will have to get a couple

of bags of organic potatoes and clear the fridge of things that might spoil, Thanks for diving in and thanks for keeping us posted!

• cui bono (1638 posts)

15. Cool! Let me know how you like it!

I had 26 lbs of potatoes/sweet potatoes in 9 days. Well, there’s still two russets and one sweet potato in the fridge and I had to throw out about 1 1/2 potatoes due to blackening.

What I didn’t mention much is that in reading about it it seems that doing this is extremely beneficial to your gut. You get all the right amino acids and it gets your flora in order. Supposedly it has helped people reverse diabetes type 2. It seems to have a lot of health benefits. I think the author said he does it 3 days a week.

But I feel great and today was my first day off of it and I honestly couldn’t decide what to eat. I almost just continued! I ended up having a bean, rice and cheese burrito. Tomorrow I’m going to have a salad with some chicken. But in general I’m going to start eating more potatoes with meals. I always tried not to because I thought they were just empty starch. Maybe I’ll do a lot more veggies and potato dinners.

Good luck! Let me know what you think.

• cui bono (1638 posts)

18. One more important thing…

The big benefit of the potatoes is Resistant Starch. You get a large increase in this if you cook and cool the potato before eating it. You can reheat it again and that’s fine, in fact everytime you heat and cool it the RS grows. But the biggest boost is from the first cooling so if you do it again a couple more times you’re not increasing it that much more.

I didn’t know this until later but luckily I cooked a few pounds at a time so I got that benefit for all but three of my meals.

• Mom Cat (14850 posts)

21. Great! I had just heard of resistant starch, so I had just cooked and cooled a

few to start my stash for when I go on it at about midweek. I have to eat up the perishables first so it will be about mid week.

The idea of resistant starch is appealing. Now, I had heard that if you reheat them, the starch is like reactivated. I don’t know.I think that I will stick with cold first.

I will keep you posted!

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

7. potatoes are easily digested carbs. they enter the bloodstream quickly,

so if you have a sugar addiction I doubt they will help — sugar and potatoes = carbs = sugar

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=glycemic+index+potatoes&*

complex carbs are just longer saccharide chains — and the quicker they break down, the quicker the sugar hits your blood.   what slows breakdown is eating carbs with fiber, fat, or protein, and how much of those the food in question contains.

potatoes are pretty much carbs except for the skin, which has more fiber.

ergo, potatoes are high glycemic index because they’re broken down quickly into sugar

The glycemic index is a value assigned to foods based on how slowly or how quickly those foods cause increases in blood glucose levels. Foods high on the glycemic index release glucose rapidly. Low GI foods tend to foster weight loss, while foods high on the GI scale help with energy recovery after exercise, or to offset hypo- (or insufficient) glycemia.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

• cui bono (1638 posts)

9. Hm… for me it's about the chocolate, cookies, ice-cream and now bubble gum!

Why the hell did I start with the bubble gum???!!

I don’t mind if it’s in whole foods, I want to get myself away from the refined sugar. I psych myself into eating the junk, and I also find I really eat it when I’m stressing. I totally stress eat. And it’s completely a mental addiction, not a physical one if that matters. And I just don’t stop myself from eating it. I think about it and then I just go ahead and indulge.

And the proponents of the potato diet say their blood sugar lowered after it. I honestly never paid too much attention to all of this before, but as I get older I get flabbier and it’s harder to keep a toned body since I’m not a exercise fanatic. So now I started reading about all these different diets and it’s amazing how contradictory they all are with each other and how adamant the proponents of each are that theirs is the correct one.

I need to learn more about the science of it. But I think I will try this potato thing for a week and see what happens. Now to muster up the will to actually accomplish it!

• cui bono (1638 posts)

12. I can't remember what I read, I'm new to the science of all this…

but that doesn’t happen with potatoes. I’ll try and find the relevant info on this and post back. I’m about 2/3 done reading The Potato Hack, which explains it. It’s something about the Resistant Starch they have, and more.

Here’s a couple links to site by the guy who wrote The Potato Hack:
        https://potatohack.com/potato-diet-info/
        http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com/

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
          Profile photo of FanBoy

16. The study had 18 subjects total; 11 in one arm and 7 in the other.

“Mean overall change in subjective satiety score did not correlate with mean AUC biomarker changes suggesting the satiety peptides did not elicit a satiation response or change in overall total caloric intakebetween-group differences in biomarkers were not observed”

I’m not seeing much that’s striking.  “Nutrition Journal” is an on-line publication (british) started in 2002.

Looking at a couple of other studies of “high-amylose maize resistant starch”, my impression is that they’re in service of finding a new thing to sell…

Most plant foods have amylose: “high-amylose maize” is corn (likely proprietary, possibly GM) bred to have a higher percent is all (I noticed someone’s supplying it to researchers for free – smells a bit)

Most plant foods contain amylose.  No need that I can see to focus on potatoes or high-amylose corn or any other particular item — its just hype, imo.

Amylose is important in plant energy storage. It is less readily digested than amylopectin…it is the preferred starch for storage in plants. It makes up about 30% of the stored starch in plants, though the specific percentage varies by species. The digestive enzyme α-amylase is responsible for the breakdown of the starch molecule into maltotriose and maltose, which can be used as sources of energy. 

This polysaccharide (amylose) is one of the two components of starch, making up approximately 20-30% of the structure. The other component is amylopectin, which makes up 70–80% of the structure.

Amylose is also an important thickener, water binder, emulsion stabilizer, and gelling agent in both industrial and food-based contexts…High-amylose varieties of rice, the less sticky long-grain rice, have a much lower glycemic load, which could be beneficial for diabetics..

Amylose is a type of resistant starch, meaning it isn’t well-digested and absorbed in the small intestine. Instead, it’s fermented by bacteria in the large intestine the way some types of fiber are broken down and may have some of the same benefits, such as limiting spikes in blood sugar levels and lowering cholesterol. Whole, plant-based foods are likely to have the most amylose and other types of resistant starch, but some processed foods are made with starches containing high levels of amylose as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amylose

That’s the goal — to have something to add to processed food so they can market it as ‘healthy’.

Eat more unprocessed food, a wide variety, and lots of fruit/veg. and forgo the ‘miracles’.  There aren’t any.  Eating fruit/veg exposes you to every kind of digestible and indigestible fiber and starch out there, and eating fermented and cultured foods will keep your gut flora interesting.  My two cents as a former “professional”

• cui bono (1638 posts)

17. No, there's no goal to add anything to processed food or sell anything.

This guy is against processed food. All he is telling anyone to do is eat only potatoes for a few days at a time. He even suggests you can grow your own. And it’s also not something he suggests you do every day, it’s meant to be a 3-5 day ‘hack’ where you just eat potatoes in order to reset your body in several ways – your food reward sensation, your satiety and your gut health are a few.

You’re quoting and refuting a wikipedia entry. That’s simply not relevant to this potato hack and what is being said in the book. If you want to refute the book itself, then fine, but you should see what it has to say and the references the author uses first. And I don’t know what study you are referring to but there are probably close to a hundred studies quoted and listed in the book that show the results the author is talking about.

There’s a lot of information about Resistant Starch in the book and the various types of it. Some are going to help your gut some are not. There are studies quoted that show that the type of RS you can get from potatoes is beneficial against colon cancer, IBS, inflammation. This type of RS is not found in plant based foods. It’s also something that is generated even more by cooking and cooling the potato, which increases the amount of RS in it.

It’s mostly about potatoes containing a lot of Resistant Starch and how beneficial that is for you and how you can get it from eating potatoes and supplementing your normal diet with common food grade potato starch. No need to get any fancy brand name supplements. Of course you can find supplements to take if you want to, but it’s not necessary and there is no selling of that in the book so far and I’m 80% done with it.

I appreciate your skepticism as there is a lot of the sort of thing you describe above, but in this case it is not necessary. And you can’t really refute a wikipedia entry if you’re trying to say the potato hack is nonsense since they are not saying the same thing.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
              Profile photo of FanBoy

19. you missed the point. someone is supplying the high-amylose maize

to researchers for free.

it’s obviously not the potato guy; he’s all about the potatoes, not maize.

but someone is supplying the maize free to researchers.  my bet would be there’s financial interest involved.

The other point is:  NEARLY ALL PLANT FOODS CONTAIN AMYLOSE in varying ratios, averaging around 30%.  There’s nothing special about amylose in potatoes or any other food except a lower or higher ratio v. amylopectin.

PS: I was not refuting a Wikipedia entry. 

The Wikipedia entry presented facts already known to me (and to anyone who knows nutrition/food science etc.):  ALMOST ALL PLANT FOODS CONTAIN about 30% AMYLOSE; there’s nothing special about potatoes, maize, or any other plant food in that regard.

This is not ‘new’ knowledge: known for a long time amylose is harder to digest, digested under fermentation, etc.

Just new spin — in the interest of marketing mainly, IMHO.

PS:  The potato guy has an advanced degree in biotechnology.  Degree holders typically develop new products for marketing or research possible applications of biological substances for same.

bi•o•tech•nol•o•gy (bīˌō-tĕk-nŏlˈə-jē)►
              n.
              The use of microorganisms, such as bacteria or yeasts, or biological substances, such as enzymes, to perform specific industrial or manufacturing processes. Applications include the production of certain drugs, synthetic hormones, and bulk foodstuffs as well as the bioconversion of organic waste and the use of genetically altered bacteria in the cleanup of oil spills.
              n.
              The application of the principles of engineering and technology to the life sciences; bioengineering.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=DEFINE%3A+BIOTECHNOLOGY&ia=definition

His page says the same:  he is no authority on nutrition and to take anything he says with salt.

anyway, no personal investment in your dietary practices, and nothing harmful in it short-term, so i’ll stop here.

best of luck in achieving your goals.

• cui bono (1638 posts)

20. So then no study anywhere is to be trusted unless they buy what they study?

Then you  have to look at who are they buying from and it’s never ending. So never trust any study ever?

There are many studies in the book about just potato diets, feeding people/pigs just potatoes and then testing results. Nothing to do with maize.

And as I mentioned above, the potato hack is about many things, not just the RS. But if you look at RS levels in foods and the type that is going to be beneficial, the cooked and cooled potato is one of the highest rated.

Again, you’re not supposed to only eat potatoes and the author is not trying to sell you anything. He’s just sharing a potato hack, which is eating only potatoes for 3-5 days at a time, which is not at all anything that you are arguing against. And the hack is about resetting your body/mind in relation to food, and also to help you lose fatty weight. There’s a lot of people who eat whole foods who are having digestive problems or trouble losing weight. This hack is meant to help them, but also just for anyone to try. I’m just not sure what you are pushing back against since this is about eating healthy and the author wants you to eat whole foods.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                  Profile photo of FanBoy

22. Like I said, nothing harmful about it short-term. I don't care what you eat.

But yeah, if the producer of a substance being ‘studied’ gives the substance to researchers for free, there is at least the appearance of ethical lapse.  Or in house research, which isn’t reliable (do you trust Monsanto’s in house research?)

I spent some time in the field.  No, you can’t trust a lot of what you read about nutrition; the field (as with most medical/corporate-linked fields) is corrupted by various means.  One way or another it comes down to money and power.

• Mom Cat (14850 posts)

23. Here is a song for all you potato eaters

http://www.metrolyrics.com/take-an-old-cold-tater-and-wait-lyrics-dickens-little-jimmy.html

I am am starting tomorrow. I got the book and I am psyched!

• Mom Cat (14850 posts)

24. Day eight! I am sort of getting used to this.It is not bad. The amazing thing is

that I am not hungry! I think that I will try for another week, then reassess. Thanks for turning me on to this. It just might be what I need.