Health & Fitness

Did you know this was radon awareness month?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 7,645

Have you even known that radon, present in a lot of homes here in SW PA, is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers?

Here’s my friend, Jackie’s story, which got the attention of the CDC producing this film…

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,326

Bullet #2 there -Reduce radon levels
      Get some fresh air circulating through the house –open the windows. As a gas that is 8 times denser than air, you’re not going to get it out of the basement unless you get some good air flow moving through it. Especially if your basement is cut out of some granite bedrock, which is a natural source of radon.

Hitler 1944: Kiev is to be held to the last man.
      Biden 2022: Kiev is to be held to the last Ukrainian.

Mr. Mickeys Mom

We’re about to have our basement renovated, which  means, seal the cracks in the foundation, skim coat and level it to put an honest flooring material down their. The old french drain around it is no longer needed, due to other measures to take care of the stormwater incursion. But, the mitigation of radon gas, even though less concentrated with open windows and entrained air flow, still needs a fan to draw up what concentrates from the “dead space” below, and I’m already monitoring an average reading of Rn of 8 pc. I’m gonna see what it is after the foundation and insulation (probably a wash in the readings). The pipe and fan will have to address mitigation after that. Meanwhile, I am trying not to spend too much time down in the basement, rather hard to do since our exercise bike is there and we use it daily.

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,996

And in the office where I worked, north of Durham, on Roxboro  Road, four women I knew had breast cancer.  I thought it prudent to not live and work atop granite.  It is not like I was able to just up and leave, though – that is an expensive thing to do on one’s own – but my company was closing the data center.  I was the very first one to find a good transfer (to Tampa) and thus out the door.  A closing  data center in Illinois was how I got to Durham.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

A YouTube comment – we need new conspiracy theories – the old ones have all come true.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 9,236

Which led to the random thought of how one would be aware of random. 😵‍💫

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Utopian Leftist
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,092

A month to randomly become aware of things.

“Honey, I’m randomly aware today of how loudly you crunch your corn flakes!”

You could start a whole trend.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti
        "Given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, the voter will choose a Republican every time." ~ Harry Truman

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 10,555

Yes I heard about it, but I have enough stuff to worry about already! 😥

No granite and it’s sort of a half basement with a walk out. Also tiled. Do I need to panic?? 😱

Mr. Mickeys Mom

Which is not as much of a risk of exposure…

The funny thing ab0ut radon in the soil beneath houses is that radon can be at high levels in zone 3 for a given house, and the house next door will not be. It doesn’t evenly diffuse as a gas, and when it diffuses out of the ground with no structure above it, it freely dissipates to the air. It’s when you have large crawl spaces (like cellars) that it accumulates and needs to be drawn up a vent to the roof.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 24,441

Paid about a hundred bucks to have it checked before we bought it. It was definitely a factor in the decisionmaking process on which house to buy. Definitely something to be aware of.

Never let your morals stop you from doing the right thing.--Isaac Asimov

The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.--Julius Nyerere

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.