Health & Fitness

Does anyone have an answer for my persistent gout.

• Author

Enthusiast
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 4,094
    @enthusiast

Friends, please, I am in severe pain. I have no answers. I must move from the PC computer into bed in the interest of protecting my foot. I’m using crutches to walk at all.

I would like to remind you that U.S. health insurance companies do not contribute anything to health care. They are only a PARASITIC middle man receiving an undeserved cut of "FREE MONEY".

Me

djean111
    • Total Posts: 3,777
    @djean111

Have just emailed someone I know who has gout, will get back to you.  So sorry!

N2Doc
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 6,841
    @n2doc

God, I hate Gout. Had it about a decade ago after dealing with an intense stress experience and weight gain. So aside from the usual advice on diet and weight (not much good when you are being tortured by this crap), And taking heavy doses of Advil, I recommend the following

TENS stimulation- like massage, may be unpleasant but also can move the uric acid out of the joints.

CBD oils- ingested probably. I have no idea if this will work in your case but can’t hurt to try.

Finally, the one thing that banished gout from my life, and I have no idea if it works on others – Lithium. I started taking small amounts of lithium salts (mainly to combat depression) and my Gout disappeared . Again, I have no idea why this worked, perhaps it was just serendipitous, But it did the job for me. Now be careful with the stuff, 1 mg or less to start daily, watch your mood carefully, I find too much makes me jittery and actually increases anxiety. But anyway, my 2c. Hope you find relief

GZeusH
    • Total Posts: 2,353
    @gzeush

You may want to look into plants of the Phyllanthus genus (P. niruri, P. emblica, and P. urinaria).  There is a body of research (you can find a lot of it on Google Scholar) that they “decrease uric acid production,promote renal uric acid excretion or depress urate reabsorption,and resist inflammation.”  The last of the three, P. urinaria, is marketed as the herbal remedy “chanca piedra”, and is available in health food stores and nutrition supplement dealers.  It is also a common lawn weed in the South in the summer, and it makes a decent tasting tea.

Enthusiast
      Donor
      @enthusiast

As soon as I can get to the health food store I will get the Phyllanthus genus (P. niruri, P. emblica, and P. urinaria). I’ll check it out to make certain they do not have “blood thinning” properties so they will be compatible with my Xerelto.

I would like to remind you that U.S. health insurance companies do not contribute anything to health care. They are only a PARASITIC middle man receiving an undeserved cut of "FREE MONEY".

Me

Haikugal
    • Total Posts: 1,446
    @haikugal

Oh man, unrelieved pain is the worst. I have noticed you have been scarce lately and I’m so sorry you are experiencing such unrelenting discomfort. I have nothing but empathy and sympathy for your situation to offer because yours is one ailment I’ve not experienced . I hope you feel better soon. 

sonofspy777
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 5,001
    @sonofspy777

Hi, I too have severe continuous pain from in my case RA. As a licensed nurse

1) I have found that Allopurinal is the drug of choice to block uric acid

formation.

2) Advil/Naproxen Sodium for pain but you need a scrip for a much larger dose…

say 500mg BID/2x day to TID/3x a day…then use acetominophen for breakthru pain.

3) CBD or Topranol topicals can help, as can ice packs wrapped in a wet washcloth

20min on 10 off.

4) Keep your foot elevated (very important) you need to increase blood flow

to carry the waste from your foot more readily….

5) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Especially while having a flare-up you should drink

so much water that your back teeth are floating!

HTH

Bernie figured he could do more good Alive than
    dead in a small plane "accident".
    I think he's right.

Don't you?

Enthusiast
      Donor
      @enthusiast

Thank you! I took Allopurinol for years. And it worked. Then I got a persistent sore throat. I didn’t know the source of the sore throat. They ran all sorts of expensive tests to determine the source of my throat problem. For some reason, that I can’t remember, I cut down my Allopurinol from two pills to one. Strangely enough I noticed an immediate improvement in my throat discomfort. But it  wouldn’t go away completely. So, I stopped taking Allopurinol and my throat pain went away completely.

Later, when gout symptoms returned, I tried to reintroduce Allopurinol but it resulted in month long gout attacks. Month long! That is kind of where I am now but without the NSAID options. Facepalm. I completely quit drinking alcohol weeks ago! Facepalm.

I would be happy to take Allopurinol now even if it made my throat hurt.

Me

Enthusiast
      Donor
      @enthusiast

I drink so much water! That is one area I have thoroughly covered. Beside me here at the computer I have a half gallon jug of water that I use to replenish my water glass. I also have a water source beside my bed and beside the TV.

Me

In Europe
    • Total Posts: 2
    @ineurope

Sounds like some of the usual advice doctors hand out isn’t working for you.  I had mixed results myself.

After heart bypass surgery 2+ years ago, I went on a serious health fact-finding spree.  I have had gout numerous times in the past, including one case that didn’t fully clear up for 5 months.  After my fact-finding spree, I’ve been gout free for 2+ years.

Try this.  1/4 – 1/3 teaspoon of baking soda in 8-10 ounces of water.  Only on an empty stomach.  2.maybe 3 times a day.  Why would something like this work?  The theory is:  Baking soda is a strong alkaline.  Your body has elaborate systems to keep your blood pH around 7.35.  However, if you keep overwhelming your body with acidic foods, you will ever so slightly nudge your pH to a slightly more acidic state.  That’s when problems start.  Any number of problems may arise when your body goes too acidic.  I only do baking soda if I am in a gout attack or feel one coming on.   Otherwise, I skip baking soda.

For a longer term solution, I use magnesium supplements.  Not only does magnesium have alkalizing effects, it also is important for around 300 other body functions.  Six months after my surgery, my arrhythmia was acting up.  A prescription made it worse.  Magnesium fixed that.

Also find a list of alkalizing foods.  Note that some lists test the food itself for acidity or alkalinity.  These lists are no good.  Find a list that lists foods after they’ve been metabolized by your body.

Two places to start:

19 Highly Alkaline Foods That Will Benefit Your Body

Dr. Russell Jaffe Alkaline Food Chart

Note:  Your mileage may  vary.  And, I am not a doctor, nor do I  play one on TV.

Lord Thomas
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,032
    @lordthomas

Try drinking Apple Cider Vinegar, mix up some baking soda with lemon juice and water.

Drink lots a water that dilutes the harmful stuff in the body and makes it less dense.

Magnesium is almost a must have have.

We take care of my wife’s Mom & Dad. He is 84 and was getting gout quite a bit, this is what we use to help him get better. I am not any type of doctor, just stating what we did.

Hope it helps. 

Pam2
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 5,086
    @pam2

I have no experience with gout, but I’ve heard eating cherries is supposed to help.

Hope you feel better soon.

https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/news/20101110/cherries-may-cut-risk-of-gout-flare-ups#1

glinda
      Donor
      • Total Posts: 795
      @glinda

An x-boyfriend of mine decades ago had gout very very bad sometimes. There was only one thing that helped him at the time and that was a liquor that his mother made of highly concentrated cherries. It was thick and very cherry tasting.

I think cherries must help some people. It did him.

Animals know more than we do.

Enthusiast
        Donor
        @enthusiast

Apparently cherries actually do help some people find relief from gout. I don’t think they could all be making it up.

Me

Enthusiast
      Donor
      @enthusiast

Thank you, Pam. My friend is a firm believer in the cherries and cherry juice. So we bought the jars of black cherry juice and I have been drinking it ever since. Every day! For months! But I have seen no improvement at all. The only consolation is the cherry juice is quite pleasant.

Me

Pam2
        Donor
        • Total Posts: 5,086
        @pam2

Maybe it makes a difference if you eat them? 

Enthusiast
          Donor
          @enthusiast

Based on what I hear from the cherry/gout advocates, the cherry juice is just as effective.

For a short period of time I had a source of the most wonderful cherries. But, during that time I couldn’t detect a change in my tendency to have gout attacks. Wish I could say otherwise.

I live in a small community where my produce selection is limited. If those cherries ever become available I will buy them just because they are so damned good! Thank you for your contributions.

Me

N2Doc
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 6,841
    @n2doc

Have you found any relief yet? I hope so!

Two way street
    • Total Posts: 1,529
    @twowaystreet

Hope this article with several links from Reader’s Digest, has the tips you are needing.  Perhaps the medicine that is suggested there is one that might help.

What It’s Really Like to Live with Gout

2020 Campaign Season: We the People are in the fight for our lives and livelihoods.

Enthusiast
      Donor
      @enthusiast

Thank you, Doc.

Yesterday I thought I had defeated the gout. I told Haikugal that I was better now.

This morning I found that I was no better now. I was back using crutches and moaning and groaning.

Me

Enthusiast
      Donor
      @enthusiast

Thank you, Two Way Street! I like that article.

Me

Haikugal
    @haikugal

@enthusiast

Hi guy! How are you doing now? Did you find a magnesium that works for you?

Enthusiast
      Donor
      @enthusiast

Nothing corrected the gout attacks until I finally had an appointment with a rheumatologist. She put me back on the Allopurinol plus regular full time steroids. I no longer have those nasty gout attacks!

The rheumatologist is planning to ween me off of the steroids now, or soon. It depends on what my blood test says. I had kidney stones yesterday so there must be some persistent high uric acid levels. But my feet and hands no longer hurt!

I still haven’t managed to go fishing but that is because of a shortness of breath condition that must be connected to the Atrial Fibrilation in some way. My feet and ankles are swollen way up—no way I can wear shoes. I guess when it comes to winter I’ll wear socks and slides, lmao!

How are you doing now? I hope your various problems have improved or become more tolerable.    

Me

Haikugal
        @haikugal

Hi guy, sorry this took so long but I didn’t get an alert so it took a while to find your post.

I’m really happy to hear you have found relief from your pain and have a treatment plan. I hope you can go fishing soon.

I continue to get healing of the tissue around my open wound on my toe. I’ve been wearing sandals with socks for a couple of years now..lol. I have been trying to walk daily but I’m finding it difficult because new and different areas are hurting. This being off your feet for over a year sux….so now I use CBD, marijuana, Kratom etc. for pain relief with some success . I have to force myself to the rail trail to walk…and I had to buy an old woman walker so I have somewhere to stop and sit when needed. I got the sporty model in red….lol

I’m actually making progress but the measure is incremental….I sleep now which is huge. I no longer have pain in my foot ALL THE TIME…have very little pain anymore and it’s healing. No infection, never had infection which was lucky. Now it’s all those injuries, falling off of horses etc. that did damage that hurt and have to be looked at. I keep going…just like you do.

Have you looked into Mushrooms? I’ve been reading Paul Stamets and watching his youtube talks…I use his Host Defense products and I do think they help. Good for healing and adjusting our microbiology. Just a thought. Lions Mane is good for memory and nerve support, and it’s gluten free  There are other medicinal mushrooms that are good for circulation for example…let me know and I’ll set you up with some videos by Stamets.

I hope you’re still feeling better.

Enthusiast
          Donor
          @enthusiast

Good Morning Haikugal!

I’m glad you are finding some relief. I just don’t let the socks and sandals thing bother me. Sometimes we have no choice. Like last week when my feet looked like balloons. I could only get my slides on part way and shoes were out of the question.

I think I have seen the walkers you speak of. That look like a good deal.

I hope you can continue to get some decent amounts of sleep. That is such a huge help.

We have been having some mushrooms. We put them in a skillet with butter or olive oil and saute them until they have shriveled up and the flavor is concentrated. Then we put them in our brown rice after the rice is done along with lots of turmeric, bamboo shoots, a can of tomatoes and green chiles and sesame oil. Oh, and gluten free soy sauce. I think we should try the Lions Mane. Anyway, brown rice fixed this way is just wonderful and healthy too.

One last thing, I started having some nasty bouts of kidney stones. Earlier the rheumatologist found that I was way short of vitamin D. It looks like the vitamin D supplements were contributing to the stones. I quit the supplements and the kidney stones ended.

I see the cardiologist on Monday.

I hope to hear you continue to find some steady improvement.

Me

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.