Health & Fitness

Drug reverses age-related cognitive decline within days

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      NJCher
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,183

I’m excited about this, as I suffer from memory problems due to traumatic brain injury that happened 19 years ago. The stuff I have to do because of my poor memory takes up a lot of time. To think that possibly a few doses of medication could solve this problem would mean a lot.

Not only is this finding applicable to those with traumatic brain injury, it  might apply to people in these categories:

• Frontotemporal Dementia
      • Alzheimer’s Disease
      • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
      • Age-related Cognitive Decline
      • Multiple Sclerosis
      • Traumatic Brain Injury
      • Parkinson’s Disease
      • Down Syndrome
      • Vanishing White Matter Disorder
      • Prion Disease

Here are a few paragraphs, but to understand how it works, you’ll have to go to the link. It tells how it works after this subhead:  “Could Rebooting Cellular Protein Production Hold the Key to Aging and Other Diseases?”

snip

Just a few doses of an experimental drug can reverse age-related declines in memory and mental flexibility in mice, according to a new study by UC San Francisco scientists. The drug, called ISRIB, has already been shown in laboratory studies to restore memory function months after traumatic brain injury (TBI), reverse cognitive impairments in Down Syndrome , prevent noise-related hearing loss, fight certain types of prostate cancer , and even enhance cognition in healthy animals.

In the new study, published December 1, 2020 in the open-access journal eLife , researchers showed rapid restoration of youthful cognitive abilities in aged mice, accompanied by a rejuvenation of brain and immune cells that could help explain improvements in brain function.

“ISRIB’s extremely rapid effects show for the first time that a significant component of age-related cognitive losses may be caused by a kind of reversible physiological “blockage” rather than more permanent degradation,” said Susanna Rosi , Ph.D., Lewis and Ruth Cozen Chair II and professor in the departments of Neurological Surgery and of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science.

“The data suggest that the aged brain has not permanently lost essential cognitive capacities, as was commonly assumed, but rather that these cognitive resources are still there but have been somehow blocked, trapped by a vicious cycle of cellular stress,” added Peter Walter , Ph.D., a professor in the UCSF Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator. “Our work with ISRIB demonstrates a way to break that cycle and restore cognitive abilities that had become walled off over time.”

snip

Link

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,701

I will be following any news on this!  Thanks!

PADemD
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,210

As long as we don’t end up like Charley.

soryang
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 938

Good luck getting a physician to prescribe them. They don’t keep up with studies and think everyone is a potential drug abuser. One wonders how oxycontin became such a widespread problem when doctors are so intimidated. This is not intended as scientific or medical advice, just an observation. fwiw. I won’t hold my breath waiting for this, I don’t think i’ll live that long.

N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,843
      NJCher
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,183

says pretty much the same thing but some new info toward the end

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/12/419201/drug-reverses-age-related-mental-decline-within-days?fbclid=IwAR1Xs4ueClLqinjZrGW7WFYconkWdWzorK3SSA3UYFtRbFNNKbCTyDunWu8

<i>“This had never been seen before,</i>” Rosi says. <i>“The mantra in the field was that brain damage is permanent – irreversible. How could a single treatment with a small molecule make them disappear overnight?</i>”

Activity and makeup of the animal’s hippocampus brain region were also examined, results showed that after one-day common signs of neuronal aging appeared to disappear, neuron electrical activity became more lively and responsive to stimuli, and cells showed stronger connectivity with cells around them and had the ability to form more stable connections.

ISRIB was noted to appear to alter the function of the immune system T-cells which are prone to age-related degeneration. Findings may reveal that ISRIB and ISR treatment could fight a wide range of diseases such as diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.

<i>“This was very exciting to me because we know that aging has a profound and persistent effect on T cells and that these changes can affect brain function in the hippocampus,”</i> Rosi adds. <i>“At the moment, this is just an interesting observation, but it gives us a very exciting set of biological puzzles to solve.</i>”

<i>“Karen’s new results in aging mice are just amazing. It’s not often that you find a drug candidate that shows so much potential and promise,</i>” Walter concludes.

<dl>
      <dd>

</dd>
      </dl>

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.