Health & Fitness

Osteoarthritis Drug Delivery Development

• Author

NJCher
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 724
    @njcher

This is an important development! So seldom do we hear anything about osteoarthritis, yet it affects so many people.

snip

A potential osteoarthritis treatment has been developed by MIT engineers in the form of nanocarriers that can administer drugs directly into cartilage.
    Caused by low bone mass due to a cartilage breakdown, Osteoarthritis is a disease that inflicts severe joint pain, affecting more than 20 million people in the United States. Certain drug treatments can help alleviate the pain, but MIT researchers state that there are currently no treatments that can reverse or slow the cartilage breakdown.

By developing nanocarriers that can deliver drugs directly into the cartilage, MIT engineers hope that this advancement will improve the treatment options for osteoarthritis and potentially heal damaged tissue.

Conducting tests on the knee joints of rats, the researchers found that the cartilage in injured joints treated with a nanoparticle-drug combination showed signs of reduction in inflammation and damage.

Read more.

MIT Engineers Have Developed a Nanocarrier That Delivers Drugs Directly into Cartilage

Enthusiast
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 4,094
    @enthusiast

Bring it on!

I have what is essentially a permanent gout condition. There are no answers. Nothing but pain. I can no longer walk for very far, never without a cane and often leaning on crutches. Even my internet time has taken a hit.

I’m incompatible with Allopurinol. Cherry juice has absolutely no discernible effect. I don’t consume gout causing food or alcohol.

I cannot take NSAIDs so I take steroids. I can’t take the NSAIDs because I take a blood thinner.

I would like to remind you that U.S. health insurance companies do not contribute anything to health care. They are only a PARASITIC middle man receiving an undeserved cut of "FREE MONEY".

Me

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.