Health & Fitness

Shoulder surgery?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      elias39
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,307

I hurt my shoulder – rotator cuff – almost 6 months ago. Being 68 and not ‘healing’ as fast as I used to, I thought I’d just grin and bear it…it would get better in a while. I was wrong. I can’t lift my arm to take something from the refrigerator..as an example.. It hurts the most when I lay down to sleep. Can not get any comfort. Long story shortened, checked in with my PCP and she sent me to orthopedics for, first, a standard x-ray and then an MRI which showed a torn ligament. My ?s for the doc were: ‘will it get better on its own?’ probably not. He said I was a candidate for surgery. I’d be 6 weeks in a sling followed by around 4 months of ‘take it easy’. It’s my favored side. Hard to shift my truck into gear…other things. ‘How about physical therapy’ I asked. ‘Well, you could try it. Might help to strengthen muscles around that shoulder.’ So, okay. That’s my next step although I’ve never been too fond of PT. Too ‘gentle’. Too tedious. Like chipping away at a boulder with a plastic hammer.

But to the point:  anyone here have advice? Have you had shoulder surgery? Know someone who did? I’m weighing my options. Learn to live with the pain (it ranges from a 3 to a 6 in the ‘pain measurement’ scale. But it’s pretty constant)

I have RA and so I’m a bit inured to pain, but, shit, all my joints hurt already – knees ankles hips and now a rotator cuff injury. Can’t decide how to proceed. (Oh yeah. My wife worries about response to general anesthesia..that it can be problematic in elderly people. I wouldn’t have thought of that.)

So,  have surgery and not be able to shovel snow this winter? Or not have surgery and aggravate the shoulder shoveling snow this winter

Two way street
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,031

2020-2024 Campaign Season: We the People are in the fight for our lives and livelihoods.

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,021

.. I think you will need to hire someone to shovel snow.

If you get the surgery at least you will know it’s fixed. They will check your heart and stuff before hand to see if they think you are strong enough to make it through surgery. 68 isn’t elderly yet! I thought you had to at least be 70 for that. 🤔

Bluesuedeshoes
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 591

Rotator cuff.  Had the surgery. That was three years ago. Good as new.

Why not… try it 🙂

Greg Lapalina

elias39
      Participant

@pam2 . I’m not old yet. What am I thinking?

elias39
      Participant

@bluesuedeshoes – how old were you then?

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,515

I have dislocated both my shoulders – not at the same time! – and the first time it happened, after the doctor manipulated it back into place,  I was given a sort of brace to wear under my top that kept my arm immobile, it did look strange to see my hand sticking out between the buttons.  This was my right arm, and the guy in the cubicle next to me heard me telling someone I was not sure how I could drive my little stick shift Monza (V8, kept it 11 years!) and he popped his head up over the wall and said no problem – we could just trade cars for a month or whatever, and I could drive his automatic.  This was around 30 or so years ago and my shoulder still aches a bit when I sleep on it.

Word of warning – I had a torn ligament removed from my knee, and that sort of operation is now known to trigger inflammation, which is something you don’t need more of.  I cannot really bend my knee when walking, it throws everything off.  So maybe ask about that.  Gotta say that all the vitamin C I have been slamming down has lessened the aches quite a bit.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 6,507

Rehab from shoulder surgery is a bitch, but well worth it. And besides, you will have an excuse not to shovel snow. As for anesthesia, they can, and probably will, give you a local. You’ll still essentially be asleep, feel no pain and won’t remember anything,  ut it’s a lot easier on the body. Be sure and ask your doc about it.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

a little weird
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 708

It was an extremely difficult recovery for both of them – expect recovery to take at least a year.  My mom had it done first – I think she was in her late 50’s or early 60’s at the time.  She needed help doing really basic things for months and didn’t get back to close to normal for a year.  Along the way she got depressed thinking it would never end but eventually she was happy to have done it.  My dad was hesitant to do it because of her experience so he put it off until he just couldn’t any more.  He got to the point he couldn’t lift his arm and so he eventually broke down and did it.  Same situation – long recovery but eventually it paid off.  If it’s a tear and not just a strain there is no other way to fix it as far as I know.  I injured my rotator cuff but fortunately it turned out to be a strain and not a tear.  I was able to go to physical therapy and do exercises to resolve it.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

elias39
      Participant

I’ll have to meditate on it – connect with my inner squirrel.

I’ve led a somewhat charmed life, accident wise. I’ve always been active and in retrospect I’ve taken a bunch of chances that could have gone very badly. Yet, I’ve never broken a bone. never lost a fingertip to my power saws. I had hernia surgery a few lifetimes ago ..I’m short a couple of teeth. Ah, but I run on.

Oh shucks! I missed the Rep Convention!

Mindwalker
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 239

Flying a hang glider at Fort Funston in San Fran, I got too far behind the lift ban, sunk out, then got into turbulent winds around tree level and slammed into the ground right before a line of trees.  The bones in my shoulder were really destroyed and muscle was hanging off to the side of where it should be.

After surgery, a really unpleasant ~2 months and physical therapy, I’m almost fine.  My range of motion is not quite what it was, bu it’s so rare that I even notice it.  I even went flying a few more times.

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 4,902

@elias39

… a strengthening technique for that tricky rotator muscle is to take a 2 pound weight (the little circle weight is fine) and do this:

Lay on your good shoulder’s side as your body elevated up on a table, up from the floor. Your bad rotator side arm is laying on your hip on the “up” side. Then, while making sure that the arm holding the weight keeps its elbow glued to your up-side hip and leave keep it there. Bend the arm 90 degrees, which means that the weight is now forward, level with the elbow. Keep the forearm straight and make small moves by raising the weight up a few inches, then down. Repeat this movement for 20 reps, rest a minute and do one more time. Do this daily and it will strengthen the healing rotator cuff.

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,021

Is there an update??

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.