Health & Fitness

Vitamin C, COVID, and arthritis

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,515

I have had arthritis in one hip for a year or so.  Thanks to someone here at JPR, can’t remember who, but bless you!!!!!, I have been slamming down 5,000-6,000 MG of vitamin C every day, supplemented with some other anti-inflammatory stuff.  I realized, a little while back, that my hip no longer hurts.   Furthermore, if I give in to temptation and eat anything with gluten or sugar, the hip twinges a bit.  All my doctor told me last year was Advil and a cane.    Welcome to old age.  Guess it is true that health care in the US fattens on managing symptoms, not fixing things.

But – vitamin C is the bomb.  The OG.

Anybody with arthritis or inflammation ever use a tens unit?  I am going to try it on my knee that has “effusion” from a long-ago operation.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 18,711

I’ve never taken as much as you have, but I do have arthritis, and I think I’ll try it. It can’t hurt–your body just flushes out any excess–and it’s not toxic at all.

I have used a Tens unit for inflammation before, and it did help me.

Question: How long were you slamming down all that Vite C before you noticed the pain had gone?

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,515

my hip was better  a week or so ago.  I still have a sacroiliac cracked in a couple of places, nothing will fix that.  Gabapentin does help if really bad.  But walking with an arthritic hip is Not Fun.  I suspect it is the almost painless “effusion” in my knee, other leg, keeps me from bending the knee properly, which I think is the reason for the arthritis, my gait is thrown off.

I get my C at Walmart, 1000 mg capsules, 100 for about $7 or $8. I am pretty sure that if I also never eat anything with gluten or sugar – I don’t care about sugar at all, but damn I love bread – I would not have inflammation at all – and arthritis is inflammation.  C, turmeric, lots of anti-inflammatory stuff out there.  Basically last couple of years, if I laid down on the doctor’s table, knees bent, I could swing my left knee over almost flat to the table, no pain.  My right knee – just moving an inch hurt a LOT.  Now, there is a little twinge if I swing my knee over too far, but not the big pain.

TENS – did you have your own machine, how strong was the current, did the inflammation lessen a lot?  My knee does not hurt, it just feels stuffed with cotton.  I can see a bulge above my knee, but no pain.  Evidently this is a common side effect of arthroscopic knee surgery, but that was the only way to fix a horribly painful torn ligament or whatever.  1995, still swollen.    The surgeon was also surgeon for the Magic, so likely very best thing to do at the time.  I am going to try a little tiny TENS thing sold over the counter – Shaq recommends it! – and see if it helps even a little, then ask doc for a prescription for a unit.  She is all for pain medicine, I am all for fix things, covering up the pain will make things worse.

Getting old sure is interesting.

For arthritis, the 5000 mg did not bother me at all, and I always take turmeric with black pepper, it absorbs better.  I am by no means a hippie or whatever, I just think that things like arthritis are caused by diet and/or repetitive motion, so why just pop a pain pill when I can at least try to fix it.   Googling anti-inflammatory was quite helpful for me..

@ohiobarbarian

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 18,711

I tore a muscle in my upper back when I was in my early 20s. About 25 years ago, I pulled it bad and used a Tens. I remember it helped, but I don’t remember the setting. All I know if that if it hurts it’s too high of a setting.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.