Jackpine Elders

Cataract Surgery

• Author

LiberalElite
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,440
    @liberalelite

Hello Elders!  Has anyone here had cataract surgery?  Mine is scheduled in a few weeks.  Any tips, etc.?  Thanks!

I feel much better since I gave up hope.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace." – John Lennon

NJCher
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 717
    @njcher

Yep, you’re going to be so thrilled with the results. And the operation is a cakewalk. It’s actually pleasant. I know, sounds crazy and maybe it’s just my doctor (I do have a fabulous eye doctor).

There was little to no discomfort for me. The operation itself was like being on some kind of psychedelic drug.

NJCher
    Donor
    @njcher

More:

Wow, I’m so surprised that posted. I didn’t write too much because I’ve been losing posts right and left here.

To continue, the sensation I felt during the operation was just of cold. I could watch the entire thing with my other eye. They had a screen to the side and I watched the dr do the entire operation.

I was told to wear sunglasses for 2 weeks. They even gave me the glasses. I had to use eye drops, which had a kind of complicated schedule. Certain types at different times of the day.  Of course, I took them exactly as prescribed because one thing I will not take any chance with is my eyes. I wasn’t surprised to learn, though, that people who have trouble with the operation often don’t take the eye drops as prescribed. The eye drops were expensive:  around $750.

NJCher
    Donor
    @njcher

More:

One thing surprised me.  A few months after the operation, I began having cloudy vision again. I called the doc and learned this is common.  Scar tissue. The good news:  you can go right in and they zap out the scar tissue with a laser beam. Takes all of about 10″

LiberalElite
      Donor
      @liberalelite

Yes. They eye drops are ridiculously expensive.  What’s in that stuff?  Probably cost $15 to manufacture. 

Luckily for me, my opthamologist orders the prescriptions from a special pharmacy in Long Island that can get the price down using some sort of “coupons”, so for the three prescriptions I paid under $300.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace." – John Lennon

NV Wino
    • Total Posts: 4,620
    @nvwino

Had both eyes done about two weeks apart. That does make the eye drop schedule a bit confusing, but just create a separate calendar and you’ll be fine. I had it done in the morning, went home with an eye cover, went back in the afternoon for a post op exam. The eye patch was removed, and I was told to sleep with it on for a week. Well, that lasted exactly two days. The second eye (same doc) I was told to sleep with it two days. Anyway, painless, fast and a good thing to do.

Meds: Medicare covered two of them, but not, of course, the expensive one. Ask your doctor if they have a discount coupon, or go on line to see if you can get one. More than likely you can.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
    “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

LiberalElite
      Donor
      @liberalelite

I’ve seen mentions of that possibility of cloudy vision again while burning up the Internets reading all about the surgery.  Must be really frustrating.  I’d be saying “NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!”

LiberalElite
        Donor
        @liberalelite

I’m still working and the insurance is through my employer so, I only have Medicare Part B.  My opthamologist’s office orders the drops using a particular pharmacy in Long Island that utilizes some sort of coupons that can greatly reduce the cost for 2 of the 3.

That way I paid under $300 for the three.  Bargain!

djean111
    • Total Posts: 3,777
    @djean111

Thank you for all of this information!!!  I know I will have to get this done in the near future.  I did have my retina laser-tacked back in place about 20 years ago, so I figure that at least I have a chance of not being really really scared.

Anyone who asks, or thinks they can order me, to vote for a Democrat who is not Bernie can fuck off.

Nope. If Bernie is not on the ballot, Green it is.

LiberalElite
      Donor
      @liberalelite

<span style=”font-family: andale mono, monospace;”>I went for the pre-op testing today.  Also a lot of signing here there & every fucking where.  Dotted line, solid line…end of the paragraph, end of he page.  The doctor joked it must seem like the Magna Carta in length.  I responded I felt like I was signing my life away.   I understand the eye drops are very expensive but a staff member told me they send the prescription to a mail order pharmacy in Connecticut and that pharmacy utilizes some sort of coupon related to my insurer (which is Cigna). (??)  Yeah that schedule seems a bit daunting but I have a few days to wrap my poor old brain around it. </span>

LiberalElite
        Donor
        @liberalelite

I’m a tad nervous about it but they’ll give me an IV sedative so it shouldn’t be too bad.  I do have a tendency to Google everything about a procedure, prescription drug, etc. for better or worse.  I say for better or worse because in the course of researching what was going to be done to me, I came across photos of a soon-to-be operated on eyeball with lids clamped in the open position.  I thought WHAT! but of course they have to do this.  Can’t have the patient blinking in the midst of the surgery.

bazukhov
    • Total Posts: 2,492
    @bazukhov

Nothing to it.  Have had both eyes done.   Had to talk my wife into it, now she has had both done.

Absoluttely no pain and it just takes a few minutes.   All you hear is the click/click/click of the laser.

Tell me, great captain, how do the angels sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on? Tom Waites

LiberalElite
    Donor
    @liberalelite

I’m having the “conventional” version because I can’t take on the extra debt right now.  But since I’ll be sedated I guess they can do whatever and I’ll never know.  (until I wake up)  

eridani
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 5,309
    @eridani

I did it under sedation, left eye only.  That happened because the doc could’t get near my eye even to do the preliminary exam.  Results are great–I have depth perception again.  Lack of that probably contributed to my fall down a flight of stairs.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.