Jackpine Elders

I backed out of the elective surgery.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Doremus Jessup
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 45

Covid is all over my hometown now since schools opened up. Guy I graduated with died today in Florida. Big Trumper. Facebook page with photos with him being the only one without a mask Like the old commercial, “It’s not nice to fool with Mother Nature”. Don’t tempt the gods. Bob Marley is mine since someone said I had to believe in something. My Dr looks like Rick Moranis and has a great since of humor. I asked him what he would do and he laughed and said he didn’t usually go out looking for trouble. He had over 250 calls in 6 days about covid-19. I’ve pretty much been a shut-in for 4 years so no biggie for me. I’ll worry about that pinched nerve when it reappears, and it will… shame alcohol doesn’t do a damn thing for nerve pain. Prednisone does. Crazy. The pill pushers probably created this so they didn’t have to face the music. Thinking of the Sackler’s.

Haikugal
      • Total Posts: 1,957

Hang in @dormeusjessup after we see this Covid19 out with a vaccination and you can deal with it, waiting is a good idea.

Keep us up to date, does MJ help with the pain?

The DNC “big tent” excludes Nina Turner but includes John Kasich.
      God, guns, and gobbledygook...we live in an aquarium of nightmares.

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,431

from violent shit, and of course now I have some pain from my sciatic nerve.  Feels like my leg will fall off and that would be okay.  Amazing pain, like a shot.  Anyway, gabapentin helps a great deal with that, maybe ask your doctor if it would help you.  It is maybe an off-label thing.

Doremus Jessup
      Participant

It helps with everything! On the serious side it does help me sleep a little but when you get above a 5 on the smiley frowny scale, no.

Doremus Jessup
      Participant

If I got off my feet the pain subsided a lot. I can’t take it. I tried again this year and still no go. Pounding headaches. They slid the collapsed disc back in place after the laminectomy. The pinched nerve was killing me along with the collapsed disc and they let me wonder around for 120 before a Dr. finally took pity on me and gave me half a surgery. My knee felt swollen the size of a basketball and it wasn’t swollen at all. I could only lay on that side due to the prior damage. I can sleep in a bed again and on either side and my back. Left side or back last year had me screaming aat the top of my lungs as if I was on fire. My Dr kept the pain pills flowing. He knows I hate that poison and get off every chance I can. I can only take 6 a day or the headaches add to the problem. I take percoset 10/750 as I hate it the most. He keeps an eye on my liver and kidney and does the same careful observation of the prednisone potential side effects. I’ve had so many x-rays and MRI’s I should glow in the dark. One thing I know for a fact. It will not repair itself and it hasn’t went anywhere. I just keep walking farther every day to get my leg atrophy hopefully turned around.

Not an ounce of Rambo in me. I do not like pain. Good luck with the sciatica. You can’t imagine it until you have it. I probably got mine from helping that big luggarhead sheep dog get up 10-12 times a day for 6 months until I just couldn’t do it anymore. First time since January 84′ I haven’t had a dog. Talk about lost. Only equal or more than equal love and affection a person could have. Same with the cats. I was allergic to mine for 17 years but when daughter moved out and off to college I had a new vistoter at least twice a day who didn’t think no was a word that applied to her. I bought old flannels at rummage sales and put them on no matter the temperature and gave her an an hour twice day. She was fine with that.

Haikugal
      • Total Posts: 1,957

Yeah, I had really bad, constant pain for years. I finally got the surgery I needed and I’m pain free and can sleep again! I hope and wish the same for you.

The DNC “big tent” excludes Nina Turner but includes John Kasich.
      God, guns, and gobbledygook...we live in an aquarium of nightmares.

Doremus Jessup
      Participant

That’s kind of you. I don’t think people who have never dealt with chronic pain can understand.

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,431

The sciatica is awful, but does not happen all that much, and a gabapentin will dial it back down.  Two gabapentin, which I did accidentally and only once, got me 7 hours of sleep!  My problem, aside from the cracked sacroiliac, is that I had arthroscopic knee surgery for a torn meniscus 25 years ago and there is still inflammation and stiffness.  It does not hurt at all, but my left knee does not bend much when I walk and that puts pressure on my right hip.  Which does hurt.  I cannot stand pressure on it when trying to sleep.  Pillow between knees helps a lot, and  lying on my back is bad, because there is muscle wrapped from knee to hip and that puts a strain on lower back.   It is now known that the surgery will result in arthritis/inflammation, but 25 years ago that was what they did, and not doing something was not an option, I would rather have had the knee taken off.   A side result of slamming loads of  vitamin C and other anti-inflammatory stuff is that my hip hurts a lot less,  and I will try compression to get rid of the swelling over my knee.  My doctor, who I need to switch out sometime, put down that both my knees hurt and my hip hurt, I got xrays, yeah, some arthritis, but my knees do not hurt in the least.  She advised Advil and a cane, no, advil is not good for liver, and I think I can fix or alleviate this myself. I am 74, and I think the convention treatment is actually advil and a cane, from Medicare.  Or her practice.   Sadly, my son has deteriorated lower spine from years and years of roofing, so he has pain meds galore.  Has had shots and an epidural, no help really.  I tried one of his percocets, that made me feel so nauseous and loopy, plus I could not sleep, so nope.

I hope you get your surgery.  Chronic pain just drags down life.  Bless you for caring for that cat, and yeah, I have a lovely rescued german shepherd who is my constant companion, and is the nicest sweetest dog in the world.  She has a compromised immune system from the heartworm treatment she was getting when we adopted her, needs Bravecto or her fur falls out, but lovely dog at all times.  Anyway, here’s to you getting out of the pain cycle!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

It's Up

Come and get it!!!!