Jackpine Elders

MedPAC Calls for Improvements in Medicare Part B Enrollment Process

• Author

eridani
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 3,238
    @eridani

MedPAC Calls for Improvements in Medicare Part B Enrollment Process

In its June 2019 report to Congress, the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) recommends improvements to the complex Medicare Part B enrollment process, including strengthening notification requirements which is, in part, what the Beneficiary Enrollment Notification and Eligibility Simplification (BENES) Act proposes to do (S. 1280/H.R. 2477).

Currently, only individuals who applied for or are receiving Social Security benefits at age 65 are notified about their Medicare Part B eligibility. Everyone else must make an active Medicare enrollment choice, taking into consideration specific timelines and existing coverage. If this transition is mismanaged—as it often is—individuals new to Medicare may face lifetime late enrollment penalties, higher health care costs, gaps in coverage, and disruptions in care continuity.

The bipartisan BENES Act is a commonsense solution that is long overdue. The BENES Act would fill the long-standing gap in outreach and education by directing the federal government to notify individuals who are approaching Medicare eligibility about their enrollment options and responsibilities.

As MedPAC notes “[t]he lack of a notification process ensuring that individuals are aware of their eligibility for and their need to enroll in Medicare as they turn 65 should be addressed. Improvement in the timeliness of notification to eligible individuals about Medicare enrollment and potential late-enrollment penalties is essential. The Secretary could work with the SSA to ensure that prospective beneficiaries receive adequate and timely notification of their pending Part B eligibility and the consequences of delaying enrollment.”

The two most common substances in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Quinn
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 229
    @quinn

Trying to understand it. Is this considered the medicare supplemental or gap coverage? If anyone, ty

glinda
      Donor
      • Total Posts: 621
      @glinda

I just went through this. Part B has two choices in direction.

A/B should be signed up at the same time if one has no other insurance. Because I received part help financially through the ACA, I could not keep my other Insurance. (like I would want to?) But why would I unless an employer gave me insurance. So then I could take Part A only I think????? I might be wrong. If you are nearing 65 just sign up for both and find the window time.

So because A/B is like 80/20 coverage and depending upon situation can still bankrupt people like me, I had two choices. With B they offer some Advantage Plans (on road to privatization) or I could get a Gap Plan  (plus also buy Part D) through an Insurance Company added on to fill in the not covered areas financially and get out of network. But they are all Insurance Companies so. Advantage plans are experiencing some changes through Orange Man. But I think you get eyeglasses and part of hearing now. Like half.

There are enrollment times in each state and each state is different basically as some let you change plans without medical underwriting and others have time limits or time of year dates. WTF I say and what a hot stinking mess figuring things out. But I signed up and have until Dec. 7th to make changes if I want to stay on my chosen Gap, or three months from now if I want to take an Advantage plan which is less coverage. I think from what I can understand.

I believe one needs to get a jump on their SS and do A/B at the same time like 2-3 months ahead to hope they get it right. I recommend a broker. Or if there is a senior help group in your state. Here in MN it is SHIP.

He is cutting more SS positions and am sure that will affect Medicare applications as well as they are tied together. Currently there are barely enough people to handle what they have. Some of my stuff is taking a few weeks to process with my birthday coming in like a little over 2 weeks.

All of it is way too complicated. And in both Advantage as well as Gap Plans I had a stack of books from insurance companies 4″ thick. I could not read all of that.

Animals know more than we do.

eridani
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 3,238
    @eridani

I think those are both the dame thing.

The two most common substances in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

glinda
      Donor
      • Total Posts: 621
      @glinda

It was told to me that Advantage was administered through Medicare although there are still insurance companies involved. Gaps are where the insurance companies get more involved but the point is he wants to privatize it all. That is where this is headed. So yes, they are in a sense the same and may be more the same soon. This is all to get ahead of any push for M4A. I want the insurance companies to be drowned in a bathtub and out of the whole picture. Medicare, I realize, is not the good thing I had hoped it would be. Still will cost quite a bit monthly but I chose a gap plan with pretty much everything covered and no co-pays. And still pay $20 less than my husband who is on an Advantage Plan.

Animals know more than we do.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.