• Rollback of WP Edit

Hopefully everyone can post OK now - a bad plugin update prevented a few people from posting https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/site-updatefix/. If anyone has new issues, please let us know!

Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

Anyone know a grain free dog food without pea & egg?

• Average Gazoo (816 posts)
    Profile photo of Average Gazoo Donor

Anyone know a grain free dog food without pea & egg?

An allergy panel shows my dogs are sensitive to oats, duck, rice, eggs, peas, rabbit, yeast and barley so I am trying to find a grain free food without those. I was cooking ground turkey, spinach, carrots, cranberries and sage for a while but these are two 90lb dogs so it was quite a bit of cooking. I may go back to cooking since I can get chicken wholesale at about 70-cents a pound but it would be nice to have a premium dry food in the mix and for when they spend time in other’s homes.

I have been feeding Taste of the Wild: Salmon and TOTW: Lamb then went to NutriSource Lamb but now NutriSource has added peas and egg so we went back to TOTW but TOTW uses:

TOTW Lamb:  Lamb, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, egg product, canola oil, roasted lamb, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salmon oil (a source of DHA), salt, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), dried chicory root, taurine, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product…bunch of preservatives.

Nutrisource lamb & Pea: Lamb meal, peas, salmon meal (a source of fish oil), pea starch, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), pea flour, alfalfa meal, natural turkey and chicken flavor, dried tomato pomace, sunflower oil, dried egg product, flax seed, potassium chloride, dried brewers yeast, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), choline chloride, taurine,… 25 preservatives.

Lots of ear scratching and paw licking, general signs of allergic reaction. Not horrible but noticeable.

Any info or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

NVBirdlady, Enthusiast like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
9 replies
  • Haikugal (5329 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

1. I feed Merricks grain free to my little guy.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/merrick-dog-food-dry/

I get it through Amazon.

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
  • Live and Learn (1506 posts)
    Profile photo of Live and Learn Donor

2. This is what I use but it does have peas.

I use it because one of mine had terrible gas from the ‘wild’ formulas which this seems to alleviate.

Grain-Free Turkey & Potato Recipe For Adult Dogs
    BLUE Basics Grain-Free Turkey & Potato Recipe is a limited-ingredient diet formulated to minimize food sensitivities some dogs experience, while maximizing the nutritional value they receive. And because it’s BLUE, it’s made with only the finest natural ingredients:

Deboned Turkey – single animal protein source
    100% grain- and gluten-free
    Easily-digestible carbohydrates like peas and potatoes
    Pea Fiber & Pumpkin to support gentle digestion
    Omega 3 & 6 for skin & coat health
    NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals
    NO corn, wheat, soy, dairy or eggs

Sorry, just noticed you said they are actually allergic to peas., so I guess this won’t do.

• Haikugal (5329 posts)
      Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

4. Gas was the reason I switched also…interesting. He does well on this.

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
    • Jan Boehmermann (3584 posts)
      Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

7. I didn't realize they used peas in so many dog foods.

Guess I’m not up on my dog foods.

• Totally Liberal Dem (1479 posts)
    Profile photo of Totally Liberal Dem Donor

3. Try FreshPet

https://freshpet.com/faqs/

THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS HEPBURN!!!! 
  • NV Wino (3664 posts)
    Profile photo of NV Wino Donor

5. Check out…

petflow.com

They carry food that other places don’t. You can check out ingredients for anything that looks interesting.

I get my dry cat food from Petfood Express, a local retailer dedicated to providing good food. The food I buy is First Mate, made in Canada. 95% and 92% protein (fish and chicken) with only blueberries (and vitamins and minerals) added. Don’t know if they make dog food, but worth checking out.

Check out Costco as well. I get cans from them. Again, don’t know about their dog food, but the cat food measures up.

Resist-sm_zpswfchkz8t  
  • Jan Boehmermann (3584 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

6. Edited…… check dog food advisor

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/?s=grain+free

• Flying Squirrel (451 posts)
    Profile photo of Flying Squirrel Donor

8. …

http://www.reviews.com/dog-food/

Might be one in here.

• glinda (1795 posts)
    Profile photo of glinda Donor

9. You might check some of these for ingredients

Carna 4

Sojos

Hound & Gatos

Open Farm

It is possible to be allergic to Duck and to other poultry at the same time such as chicken or turkey.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb