Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

Dog Food Recall

• xloadiex (347 posts)
    Profile photo of xloadiex Donor

Dog Food Recall

Since I never seen most recalls reported on the “news” I signed up at DogFoodAdvisor.com. They email you as soon as a product has been recalled with all the information.

The notice I just received is for a food called Evangers Hunk of Beef. It’s sold in 15 states. This isn’t the usual salmonella. This food has been contaminated with pentobarbital. It’s a controlled substance/anticonvulsant and sedative. How in the hell does that get into dog food? So far 5 dogs have become sick and one has died.  This is outrageous and really pisses me off.

I’ll surely be thinking of this every time I’m cooking up a new batch of homemade dog food for my 3 babies.

If anyone wants more detailed information let me know and I’ll post it. Otherwise dogfoodadvisor should have it on their site.

Enthusiast, LiberalElite, Pastiche and 6 othersMagical Thyme, NVBirdlady, Haikugal, Doremus Jessup, em77, Bluesuedeshoes like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
10 replies
  • Doremus Jessup (2975 posts)
    Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

1. kick!

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.
  • KauaiK (3530 posts)
    Profile photo of KauaiK Donor

2. I make my dog's food. After the melamine in pet food a few years back, I

get beef & chicken hearts, livers, kidneys from a local rancher which I roast and cut up.  Then I mix the meat with a combo of white&brown (hapa) rice.  It’s healthier and actually less expensive than dog food.

She also gets an occasional egg, sardines or tuna.  I also get bones from the rancher and bully sticks from CostCo.   Bones keep her teeth clean and the marrow is good for her fur and nails.

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

• NVBirdlady (3773 posts)
      Profile photo of NVBirdlady

3. KauaiK – that sounds fantastic. It sounds like something I need to

start doing. Thanks for the tip.

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
      • KauaiK (3530 posts)

7. Aloha Birdlady!! It's actually easy peasy

I wrap the meats separately in foil and roast on a cookie sheet.  Cut it up and put in a glass container.  Make a pot of rice and put it in a glass container.  Voila – done.  Mix it up when you feed your dog.    It’s a lot healthier and I don’t have to worry about pet food recalls.

PS:  I heard the “insect bird” this morning, but it’s still dark so I couldn’t see it.  RATS!

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

8. That is certainly easier than everything I do for the birds.

Hello K!!! Hope all is well with you. More rain here but we’re good. I’ll start doing this for my dogs. Great idea.

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
    • xloadiex (347 posts)
      Profile photo of xloadiex Donor

9. I use chicken or beef

Sometimes liver or chicken livers and gizzards but not too often on the chicken livers. Then I add either whole grain high protein/fiber pasta or brown rice, sweet potato and broccoli. I also add Cosamin DS which I get from Costco to my Labs food.

My husband will come in and say, Wow, that looks good.” I have to tell him to leave it alone, it’s for the dogs :)

• KauaiK (3530 posts)

10. HAHAHAHA. Good story!!

4. I agree with you. How does a controlled substance get in dog food?

• Magical Thyme (2849 posts)
    Profile photo of Magical Thyme

5. jeebus. no way that got in by accident

• Magical Thyme (2849 posts)
    Profile photo of Magical Thyme

6. here's a link to the FDA notice

Fortunately it looks like the contamination was very limited.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm539900.htm

Out of an abundance of caution, Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food of Wheeling, IL is voluntarily recalling specific lots of its Hunk of Beef product because of a potential contaminant Pentobarbital, which was detected in one lot of Hunk of Beef Au Jus. Pentobarbital can affect animals that ingest it, and possibly cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance, or nausea, or in extreme cases, possibly death.

The specifically-identified lot numbers (as detailed below) of cans of 12-oz Hunk of Beef being voluntarily recalled were distributed to retail locations and sold online in the following States: Washington, California, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and were manufactured the week of June 6 – June 13, 2016.

Although pentobarbital was detected in a single lot, Evangers is voluntarily recalling Hunk of Beef products that were manufactured the same week, with lot numbers that start with 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, and 1816E13HB, and have an expiration date of June 2020. The second half of the barcode reads 20109, which can be found on the back of the product label.

The subject recall affects 5 lots of food that were produced from its supplier’s lot of beef, which is specifically used for the Hunk of Beef product and no other products. To date, it has been reported that five dogs became ill and 1 of the five dogs passed away after consuming the product with lot number 1816E06HB13. Evanger’s is proactively issuing a recall voluntarily so as not to risk potential exposure to pentobarbital in the product.