Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

formerly wild mustangs trained in dressage

• Magical Thyme (2855 posts)
    Profile photo of Magical Thyme Donor

formerly wild mustangs trained in dressage

Mustangs (ie feral horses born free, on the range) look quite happy in their ‘jobs’

basic level in competition

medium level demonstration, bareback and bareback + bridleless! shoulders-in, half passes, a little passage, tempi changes down to 3 tempis, more… ends with cute tricks

edited for accuracy to replace word “seem” with “look.”

Downwinder, Haikugal, dorkzilla and 4 othersHeartoftheMidwest, Fasttense, Enthusiast, PennLawyer like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• LiberalElite (4609 posts)
    Profile photo of LiberalElite Donor

1. – Yeah the elephants and tigers seemed "happy" at the circus too –

reminds me of when Giuliani said wild animals are happiest when they have a “purpose.”

I feel much better since I've given up hope
    • Magical Thyme (2855 posts)
      Profile photo of Magical Thyme Donor

2. the horses in the video don't just 'seem' happy.

Anybody who lives with horses on a day-to-day basis can see from their demeanor that they are quite happy with what they are doing. Anybody who actually works with horses on a day-to-day basis can read their language and know when they’re happy versus not happy.

In the second video, the mustang ridden bridleless and bareback is free to do whatever he wants. He’s free to go wherever he chooses and he could lose that rider within a few good bucks.  He *chooses* for his rider to stay on and he *chooses* to  go where the rider asks.

And comparing me to Guiliani is crossing a line. Just saying.

• PennLawyer (2065 posts)
        Profile photo of PennLawyer Donor

4. Re: you can tell when horses are happy & when they're not- quite true.

One example – I was at the Atlanta Olympic games, watching the jumping competition.  The weather was brutally hot. I heard from someone working on the Atlanta COG (Committee on the Games), that in submitting their bid for the summer games, the good folks at Atlanta had lied about the average summer temperatures to the tune of underestimating by ten degrees.  It’s not called Hot Lanta for nothing.

Mist tents had been set up, and the competing horses would be ridden through those immediately prior to entering the outdoor venue to try to keep them cool.  One of these champion horses – can’t recall from which country, approached the first hurdle and just stopped dead.  His rider circled him around to approach again and he stopped dead again. “Fuck this!  It’s too hot and I am NOT jumping!” was the clear message, and the rider had no choice but to leave the field.

• Abakan (2540 posts)
      Profile photo of Abakan Moderator Emeritus

5. Oh yeah you can tell these horses just hate what they are doing!

Are you here just to push your agenda? If so it does not belong in a forum that

is a celebration of animals and pets. We are not harmful and hateful people and

we do not mistreat animals.

Hey Mr. Trump.

Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometime you're the bug.

You're looking pretty buggy to me. Carry on please, your windshield is coming.

• PennLawyer (2065 posts)
    Profile photo of PennLawyer Donor

3. Wow! What magnificent animals! Great videos.

Those were some beautiful mustangs – great conformations!  Just a joy to watch.

There are some who wonder if those horses weren’t happier in their “natural” state.  But it ain’t all galloping on the high plains with manes and tails flowing in the wind, silhouetted against red rock mesas or distant snow-capped mountains.  There’s all kinds of extreme weather – both hot & cold; no shelter from the storms; constantly in search of grazing on overgrazed lands; without water sources during droughts; falling behind the migrant herds due to injury or age and then  – ugly truth  – being basically torn apart alive by predators/vultures/coyotes/wolves.  Nature’s circle of life is brutish at the end.  The average lifespan of a wild mare, given the rigors of repeated pregnancy, birth, and lactation was estimated at 6 years.  Well-cared for horses live well into their 20’s.  I had a friend whose Arabian stallion made it to over 30.

To me the choice is about as clear as Eddie Izzard’s “Cake or Death” routine.  Pampered, groomed daily, comfortable box stall with thick bedding, lush pastures,  well-fed, & vet care vs. constant search for food, enduring drought, heat waves and blizzards and really brutish deaths.   Hmmmm…… I’ll have cake, please.