Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

I have finally found a non-toxic home made repellant forumla

• KauaiK (3530 posts)
    Profile photo of KauaiK Donor

I have finally found a non-toxic home made repellant forumla

for flea (and flies, mosquitoes, spiders, ants etc) for my dog w/ sensitive skin dog.  I mix in a small spray bottle a neutral oil coconut or baby oil) so it doesn’t evaporate, some drops of eucalyptus oil (natural repellant) and Braggs apple cider vinegar so she won’t lick it off.  It works and it’s inexpensive so I thought I’d share with the pet lovers here at JPR.

It only lasts a few days, but it doesn’t bother her senstive skin and keeps the bugs (mostly ants and mosquitoes) off of her.

I had to play with the quanties a few times.  I use a very small (travel size) spray bottle with 3/4 oil, 1/8 or less of eucalyptus oil and the balance of Braggs apple cider vingar.

Enthusiast, LiberalElite, Wood and 5 othersPastiche, Haikugal, DesertRat2015, djean111, PADemD like this

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
7 replies
  • Haikugal (5244 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

1. Interesting idea. I may give this a try with the horse. Thanks for sharing!

:hi:

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
    • KauaiK (3530 posts)

2. It will keep the flies and other insects away from your horse.

My goofy dog likes to bomb through the ferns and bamboo where there are spiders and mosquitoes.  She doesn’t get bit.  It also keeps away bees, wasps and other nasty biting insects.  Easy to make and it works.

Warning:  My dog curls her lip when I put it on b/c she doesn’t like the smell of the eucalyptus, but she doesn’t fight me.

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

• Haikugal (5244 posts)
        Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

3. I hope it works on ticks too…I may use it on the dog and myself as well.

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
        • KauaiK (3530 posts)

4. Let me know if it works.

• glinda (1766 posts)
    Profile photo of glinda Donor

5. I will try this on myself actually but am concerned about using on my pets as

it can be toxic? Cats especially.maybe I will wait for some reports back here on this as people test it.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
    • KauaiK (3530 posts)

6. I don't know about cats, Glinda.

The vinegar stops my dog from licking it off.  The eucalyptus oil keeps the insects away.  She was getting bit on her soft bare underbelly.  I spray it on my hands and rub it on her tummy.

I have’t tried it on my cat.  She’s a grouchy 17 y/o old cat – mean as hell to the poor dog even though the damn dog out weighs her by 60 lbs..  I’d probably end up with tiger stripes down my arms and bites.

• glinda (1766 posts)
        Profile photo of glinda Donor

7. I wouldn't try it on my cats. Only my dogs.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb