Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

I seem to be a fish murderer

• HootinHoller (821 posts)
    Profile photo of HootinHoller Moderator

I seem to be a fish murderer

Any fishy people here?

I’m getting back into aquaria after many years.

Watered and stocked.

I’ve found watching the fish to be very soothing from politics these days.

As to the murders, I have no clue why my 3 juvenile Kuhli Loaches croaked. I have a muture one also which seems ok, but its color isn’t great.

The current stocking is:

• 3 Altum Angelfish – one (Stubby) was damaged in the first round of 3. 2 of that batch were lost. I replaced them with a pair.
    • 5 Zebra Danios – The keep the tank quite lively.
    • 2 Scissortail Rasbora – I need more of them for everyone to be happy. I’m thinking a low profile 75G river as the next aquarium.
    • 2 Siamese Algae Eaters
    • 1 Rainbow shark
    • 1 Khuli Loach – near adult
    • 14 neon tetras – many have been lost, as long as I keep the angels well fed they are doing well.
    • 3 Guppies – I cycled the new tank with 5 Guppies, lost 2 in an ammonia spike. I think the females have been bred.

So, what do all y’all think?

I may just use this group to ease back into JPR. As the character Ducky on NCIS said once, “When going through hell, it’s best to keep moving.”

Enthusiast, 7wo7rees, NVBirdlady and 4 othersHaikugal, Marym625, area woman, Land of Enchantment like this
    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
16 replies
  • Land of Enchantment (6327 posts)
    Profile photo of Land of Enchantment Moderator

1. WOW! I have no clue but must say that aquarium is fucking beeoutiful.

So nice to see your sweet face here again! :heart:

"Hope is the feathered thing that perches in your heart." ~ Emily Dickinson  

7. Thank you kindly!

All in all it’s doing pretty well.

I still can’t really gather my thoughts about the last year. Too much shit in the storm, but I need the company too, so here I is :P

To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine
  • SurrealAmerican (624 posts)
    Profile photo of SurrealAmerican

2. How many gallons does this tank hold?

It sounds like you may be at, near, or even past capacity.

The other thing to do is test your water.

9. Yes it's a heavy load

39 gal on the sticker. I think there’s 30 or so given the substrate displacement.

But I keep an eye on the water, I have an ammonia tattle tale in the tank as well. PH is tolerable, but the water is hard. I might have to go to reverse osmosis.

The plants are doing very well and when I  get the river tank going I’ll be moving the Danios and the Rasboras.

• sonofspy777 (140 posts)
    Profile photo of sonofspy777 Donor

Fiat justitia, pereat coelum!

(The truth, tho' Heaven falls!)   - John Quincy Adams

Bernie - 2

• Idaho progressive (171 posts)
    Profile photo of Idaho progressive Donor

4. glad to see you back

Just started posting again after being at work for four months.  I love aquariums but my job kinda keeps me from having one, my wife is good with cats but not fish….

10. Thank you

• Magical Thyme (2855 posts)
    Profile photo of Magical Thyme Donor

5. I'm clueless, but googled Kuhli loach to find out what they are

fwiw, the site I looked at said they need at least a 20 gallon tank and should be kept in groups of 5 minimum. They are shy at first, so are best off with a soft substrate to hide in, or at least lots of plants and caves to hide.

Otoh, nothing says they didn’t come with some kind of incipient problem that the stress of a new home exacerbated…

• NV Wino (3243 posts)
    Profile photo of NV Wino Donor

6. Total novice here

I stick with shubunkin in an outside tub.

Resist-sm_zpswfchkz8t  
  • Marym625 (20279 posts)
    Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

8. Oh how cool!!

And beautiful! I have no idea what the answer is. I suspect you received some sick fishes.

:hug: So glad to see you!

948c8f248a "Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  

11. Possible.

I’m not sure which it could be. I’ll get a colony going, they are a cool fish and fun to watch.

:hug: Love ya!

• Marym625 (20279 posts)
        Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

12. Love you too!

And miss you!!! :hug:

948c8f248a "Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  
  • Haikugal (5244 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

13. It has been years so I can't help but I think you made a good choice! It's

normal to lose some I’m sure you know but it still feels bad. I’ll have to look up some of your choices as I’m unfamiliar with them.

It’s really good to see you back! :hug:  ❤❤

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!

14. So soothing to the psyche

Thank you H-Gal :hug:

It does sting to lose a fish. I seem to have the bug now, I’m thinking about a bigger tank LOL.

• Haikugal (5244 posts)
        Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

15. That's how it goes…LOL

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
  • truly (91 posts)
    Profile photo of truly Donor

16. Hi! Koi keeper here.

My fish are my anchor and my sanity right now. Nothing like gazing upon such beautiful animals floating around without a worry in the world. Good luck with your aquarium clan.