Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

Keebler is no longer the runt! And Figgy Newton is no longer black!!!

• Magical Thyme (2855 posts)
    Profile photo of Magical Thyme Donor

Keebler is no longer the runt! And Figgy Newton is no longer black!!!

Adolescence has brought some big changes. Keebler had a big growth spurt and caught up with Figgy Newton and Jammy Dodger. Hydrox didn’t have any growth spurt and now is tiny compared to the rest. And Nils’ growth spurt left him as big-framed, if not bigger, than his mommy, Snickerdoodle! He still weighs a little less than she does, but by the time he’s a year old he’ll be humongous!

My struggle with trying to confirm Nils color is over. I thought he was fawn, but his wool matches the description of a cream and in every pic except one, his eyes look red. Then when I went to the bunny farm, her fawn wool was much darker than his. He’s not fawn — he’s cream, which is fawn but with double-dilute gene! I confirmed it in my mind today while grooming Figgy.

I’ve been wondering what was weird with Figgy’s wool — he increasingly looks grey-bodied instead of black, like Hydrox, Jammy and Oreo. They look grey before their wool is plucked, and then black afterward…except Figgy, who always looks grey. And today while grooming him it finally dawned on me, so I just confirmed it by googling angora color pix. He’s not black…he’s blue, which is black with double-dilute gene. So his face and feet are black, but the rest is silvery blue!

Confirming that Snickers and Oreo each carry a single dilute gene, and Nils and Figgy both got them.

If we get sun tomorrow, I’ll try to get some pics.

Haikugal, NVBirdlady, Bluesuedeshoes and 2 othersDoremus Jessup, roguevalley like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• roguevalley (1556 posts)
    Profile photo of roguevalley

1. I adore doggies. Can't wait for pix

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot! I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot! -V

2. they're bunnies…

wooly french angora bunnies

• roguevalley (1556 posts)
        Profile photo of roguevalley

4. whoops. LOL! I love bunnies too. Are they the really long haired ones?1

I love a good powder puff. ;)

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot! I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot! -V

5. yup. they give us angora wool…

Here is Hydrox before and after his 1st plucking session…

• SurrealAmerican (621 posts)
    Profile photo of SurrealAmerican

3. For a minute there, I thought you were saying …

… that you bleached one of the rabbits.

It sounds like you’re having fun watching them grow up.