Jackpine Pets

Home Jackpine Pets

NYT: Cockroaches Are His Friends (NOTE: this is interesting, not gross)

• LiberalElite (3886 posts)
    Profile photo of LiberalElite Donor

NYT: Cockroaches Are His Friends (NOTE: this is interesting, not gross)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/nyregion/cockroaches-are-his-friends.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-5&action=click&contentCollection=N.Y.%20%2F%20Region&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

Aaron Rodriques has his priorities in order.

When he got off the train at Pennsylvania Station to come home for winter break, coat pockets stuffed with beetles and giant cockroaches, he did not go see his girlfriend on the Upper East Side or his parents in the Bronx. He headed straight for the nearest Petland.

He picked up 10 crickets, 10 waxworms, 13 tobacco hornworms and 15 darkling beetle larvae, known as superworms.

The next day, just before Christmas, Mr. Rodriques, 26, sat in his childhood bedroom, surrounded by glass tanks, and reflected on his metamorphosis from isolated bug nerd to minicelebrity and fledgling ambassador for the creepy and crawly, performing regular show-and-tells at art spaces and schools.

em77, Eggar, Haikugal and 1 otherEnthusiast like this
    I feel much better since I've given up hope

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Enthusiast (6562 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

1. I can't muster much enthusiasm for insects.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
    • FanBoy (7030 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

2. how about for bugnerd turned celebrity, turning on kids to his passions

• Haikugal (4797 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

3. Fascinating. Thanks for this post!

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!
  • Abakan (2305 posts)
    Profile photo of Abakan Donor

4. I have been known to have some odd pets…

Snakes, tarantulas, hermit crabs and others that slip my mind.

I draw the line at these creatures. This is quite interesting and not a bit gross.

Thank you

I have much to say, so I talk to birds. They are truly the only ones who listen.  
  • Rocco (547 posts)
    Profile photo of Rocco Donor

5. I understand that insects

are the new beef. People are talking about eating insects instead of meat. High in protein.

You wont get me to eat them.