Jackpine Pets

One thing I just learned about cats

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ArtfromArk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,622

If they have seizures, it could be due to an overload of ammonia in their system. In addition to an occasional seizure, my precious kitty was “losing weight and a-turning mighty pale”, was sluggish as a 3-toed sloth, and almost never made a trip to the litter box. So I took her to the vet. After running an extensive blood test, the vet found out that her ammonia level was 6 times higher than the recommended maximum.

“There’s a new spirit abroad in the land. The old days of ‘grab and greed’ are on their way out. We’re beginning to think of what we owe the other fellow, not just what we’re compelled to give him. The time’s coming… when we shan’t be able to fill our bellies in comfort while others go hungry, sleep in warm beds while others shiver in the cold.... And God willing, we’ll live to see that day…” Basil Rathbone,"Sherlock Holmes Faces Death" (Universal 1943)

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 21,914

Really? I did not know that. Then again, I’ve never had a cat that suffered from seizures, and I’ve had cats for most of my life.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

ArtfromArk
        Participant

I have a feeling that my cat’s problems may have stemmed from her grazing on some plant outside. She’s also past her 17th birthday and that might also have something to do with it.

“There’s a new spirit abroad in the land. The old days of ‘grab and greed’ are on their way out. We’re beginning to think of what we owe the other fellow, not just what we’re compelled to give him. The time’s coming… when we shan’t be able to fill our bellies in comfort while others go hungry, sleep in warm beds while others shiver in the cold.... And God willing, we’ll live to see that day…” Basil Rathbone,"Sherlock Holmes Faces Death" (Universal 1943)

Two way street
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,195

Does that mean that your cat is dehydrated or is having kidney problems?

2020-2024 Campaign Season: We the People are in the fight for our lives and livelihoods.

ArtfromArk
        Participant

Yes, my cat is dehydrated and having kidney problems.

KenTankerous
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,322

Damn that’s scary. I hope your little guy is better.

"If we define an American fascist as one who in case of conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States."
      - Henry A. Wallace
      (FDR's Vice President until he was forced out by the corrupt forces of obscene wealth.)

ArtfromArk
        Participant

I’ve been using a syringe to give her two kinds of medicine, and also to give her some milk since Sunday. She’s still pretty sluggish, and still dehydrated, but she at least will accept the forced feedings now without scratching and clawing. But she still is not interested in the variety of foods that she loved before she got in this condition.

ArtfromArk
        Participant

I had to take her in to see the cat doctor today. She looked like she was going to die, despite the fact that her ammonia levels had fallen to near normal levels. So the doctor gave her an IV, and some food from a tube, and she seems to be doing better now. Her vet bills have exceeded $400, but she is part of the family, and I am happy that she seems to be on the road to recovery.

ArtfromArk
        Participant

It grieves me to say that despite all the efforts that were made to save her life, my precious cat passed away, at 17 years old. RIP Kitty.

glinda
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 837

Oh golly. So sorry. you cannot feel it but I am giving you a big hug. Even if late. Damn.

Animals know more than we do.

ArtfromArk
            Participant

Thank you! I need a BIG hug right now, and the only way I can get one right now is through the Internet. Thank you!

emme
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 305

Art, just saw this.   Sorry your  kitty didn’t make it.  17 years is a good run, but it is never long enough, no matter how long a pet is with you.

ArtfromArk
        Participant

You are so right. It’s been a week already since she passed away, but I still feel like she’s going to curl up with me at night and greet me at the door when I get home.

glinda
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 837

I wish that you did not live so far away. Rescued a really sweet kitty end of last year and because she does not like other cats, am seeking an indoor home for her. Someone had declawed her! I think her owner may have passed or something and the family or someone just dumped her. Sadly she lives upstairs “most” the time in a private bedroom. Brought her to the Human No-kill but they left her n the back room for a month and no one could see her for adoption. There she caught Upper Respiratory and I then bailed her out because I thought it best. Good intentions but it has been over three months and she wants to be the only one.

Animals know more than we do.

ArtfromArk
            Participant

Thank you, Glinda, I appreciate the thought! But, yes, I live so far away, in another country at that, it would be almost impossible to adopt your kitteh, as much as I would love to.

alcina
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 908

Art, I only saw this now, but I wanted to add my condolences. I lost my kitty a few days ago, so I can well imagine how hard your loss is for you. As others have said to me, take comfort in the knowledge that you gave her the best life you could. I wish I could say something else to make you feel better, but I know there’s little anyone else can offer to take away the pain. Nonetheless, please accept my virtual hug and my shoulder to cry on.

"The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them." -Julius Nyerere, First President of Tanzania

ArtfromArk
        Participant

You know, it’s been more than 3 weeks since my Kitty passed away, and I’m still not over it. She was such a good companion. There are a few stray cats that come into the yard, but they’re alley cats and they’d probably make a mess of my house if I took them in.

Two way street
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,195

Sorry for your loss.

2020-2024 Campaign Season: We the People are in the fight for our lives and livelihoods.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.