Jackpine Radical Cooking

Finding Russian Vodka

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Gryneos
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,107

I will admit that I’ve never had “made in Russia” Russian vodka, but I do at least know that many of their brands are never exported. However, I was looking just because I wanted to try it and to have some on hand for the various cocktail recipes I keep trying (thanks to the help of several bar books, including one from America’s Test Kitchen).

One site has a list of 10 Vodka Brands Made in Russia and I managed to find the first one, Russian Standard, at a semi-local liquor store. I’ll try it later today, but I do prefer to make cocktails versus sip or do shots. My throat just can’t handle alcohol straight up.

Now, I did manage to find an online liquor store (Best Buy Liquors) which returned over a dozen hits on Russian vodka (I only searched on the term “Russia”) and their prices seem to be pretty good.

So, any recommendations for future purchases? Also, what brands do you think are best for cocktails?

The people-to-cake ratio is too high.

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,174

I found some at a local store last month. I last had it years ago in St Petersburg. I think it’s still made in Russia. Hard to find but not expensive. I usually get potato vodka because several friends are gluten free. My favorite is Luksosova, which means “luxury” in Polish, although it now comes from Austria.

Gryneos
        Participant

but didn’t get it. It was also a lot less expensive than the Russian Standard Platinum I bought ($14 vs. $24). I’ll have to try it next time, so thanks for the recommendation 🙂

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,150

Keep it in the freezer, and drink it cold it a shot glass – the whole shot, straight down. Some of the good ones I will hold in my mouth before swallowing just to enjoy the flavor 🙂

A few I’ve had, and wished I had still in my freezer:

Altai – Amazing, made with Altai Mountains water – just a hint of sweetness. And I’ll probably never see again – it was brought to me from Novosibirsk, Siberia.

Beluga – available now & then. Very, very, very good – to me, just incredibly smooth. Haven’t tried the Beluga Gold – I’m happy with the ordinary Beluga. It was recommended by a Ukrainian friend.

Perfectly acceptable:

Russian Standard – yes, it’s good – but definitely not as smooth as Beluga. I was a little amused – I first had it in Moscow, and was surprised to find it in my liquor store at home. Same bottle – just in the Roman alphabet instead of Cyrillic.

What do I have in my freezer?

White Tiger – interesting, a little bite. Found it and had to try it.

Polugar – wheat gives it a very distinctive flavor.

But don’t just have the vodka. Have small pieces of bread, with cheese, pickled herring (selyodka), and caviar (red is fine). When I visit my Russian conductor friend, vodka and snacks is tasty and fun.

As for cocktails, I’ll admit I usually just go with the house vodka – it’s mixed 🙂 Maybe I should really try a cosmopolitan with Beluga if I can find it – another friend has Ketel-1 as his favorite, even if it isn’t Russian 🙂

I also enjoy a Moscow Mule – vodka and ginger beer – but again, the ginger beer will overwhelm the vodka.

I think I ended up writing a longer response than you may wanted, but while I don’t drink often, when I do, I want to enjoy what I drink.

And I think that’s the key for you – try it, and see what you enjoy 🙂

Gryneos
        Participant

but I might need to decant it into smaller bottles because my freezer is packed. This will incentivize me to clear out the stuff I can’t eat right now (on a keto diet and I’m a vegetarian). I used to keep vodka in the freezer, but then I stopped buying it.

These days, I’m having fun learning new cocktails, thanks in part to learning more technique from the book “How to Cocktail” by America’s Test Kitchen. My normal go-to book is on my Kindle, titled “Ultimate Bar Book – The Comprehensive Guide to Over 1,000 Cocktails” by Mittie Hellmich. That one has been indispensable and a great source of recipes. I tried the Moscow Mule in it and I liked the recipe.

According to the site vodka.com, Russian Standard is made in St. Petersburg with water from Lake Ladoga. They don’t name a location for the Russian wheat used, other than being grown on the Russian Steppe.

While I have seen Beluga listed, it’s often very expensive. However, I will probably try it in the future. I have learned that with regards to gin (my new favorite clear spirit) is that I don’t like London Dry Gin, preferring other independent brands. The last one I had was made in Scotland and was the best tasting. I bought a new one today manufactured locally, though I do at least know that most such places use a distilled spirit sourced from somewhere else and then re-distill it with the botanicals they choose. In this case, this one (Flowering Moon) has used Mediterranean thyme, so it should be interesting.

I will keep all recommendations in mind. I just don’t go through alcohols quickly, even with my mixology exploration.

Thanks for going through them all. It does help. Maybe we should have a mixology/cocktail/spirits group 🙂

jbnw
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 9,150

I always enjoy trying something different when I am out, but rarely do it at home.

Closest I have done is to make something similar to horilka – Ukrainian honey hot pepper vodka.

A bottle of Portland Hot Monkey vodka infused with about a cup of honey gives a real kiss and slap!

Makes me think of my bottle of Pervak in the cupboard in the flat in Ukraine – maybe it will still be there.

Gryneos
            Participant

I tend to drink mostly at home. So, I have slowly been building up my bar tools (recently bought both a nice wooden muddler and a channel-knife for making citrus curls) and just need to get some martini glasses. Not that I’m a fan of the traditional martini, but some drinks are served in them, and I don’t have any smaller glasses for such drinks.

Your honey mix sounds intriguing, though I might have to pass because I’m on a low-carb diet right now. I did make a Moscow Mule last night (minus the copper mug) and liked it. Thankfully, I can get 4oz. ginger beer bottles which are lower in carbs than normal ginger ale and without using artificial sweeteners. But, I still love a good Gin & Tonic. Jamie Oliver has an excellent recipe for that on his “Drinks Tube” Youtube channel.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,134

…made by Joe Stalin himself.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Gryneos
        Participant

that’s certainly a useful thing he can do 😁

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.