Jackpine Radical Cooking

My new favorite spice!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 9,381

Smoked paprika from Trader Joes. Mmmmm 😋 I use it on everything, but it’s especially good on chicken. I get boneless chicken thighs, sprinkle a little salt and pepper and a generous dollop of paprika. Pop on the oven in a Pyrex dish for 30+/- minutes. You can throw other veggies or mushrooms in the dish as well. Yummers.

Try it on fruit, too. Works well with melons.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Passionate Progressive
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,294

I use it as a substitute for black pepper….

But paprika is not my latest spice discovery – that honor goes to none other than cardamom – somewhere between cinnamon and nutmeg…I had used it earlier on Indian food…But recently, I cooked Russian cuisine for orthodox Easter.Kulich for which I utilized a saved recipe from 1978..The bread/sweet employed yeast and though it was rich with butter and eggs (as in not the whole egg but egg yolks) – was yet less intense than traditional Western deserts…but the spices made it special-exceptional – nutmeg, cardamom, saffron…It is definitely something I will try again – but not that often because it was so time consuming – only on special occasions like Orthodox Easter…

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....Martin Luther King '63

It takes all the technical proficiency our system can provide to make up for the woeful lack of popular support and political savvy of most of the regimes that the West has thus far sought to prop up.........Bernard Fall

NV Wino

The have cardamom ivycr

“Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

NV Wino

The have cardamom ice cream. 😋

surrealAmerican
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,152

It’s supposed to have a different (earthier?) flavor from the usual (green cardamom) due to some sort of fermentation – might have to try an Indian specialty shop for that.

I love the usual kind, especially when combined with ginger.

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 7,813

I’m not as likely to do chicken, but I can see that it would work very well there.

If I had to make chicken any other way, and regardless if I use spices, I have this thing about using lots of onions on chicken. I wonder how onions and smoked paprika would combo up.

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 24,637

My favorite’s Pride of Szegred, made in Hungary.

Never let your morals stop you from doing the right thing.--Isaac Asimov

The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.--Julius Nyerere

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.