Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,174
      gordyfl
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,323

I remember when the first McDonald’s opened in my neighborhood. I had never eaten a McDonald’s burger before. We had a couple of other fast food burger joints in the neighborhood almost identical to McDonald’s. One family owned. The other a franchise called “Wetson’s”. When I ate my first McDonald’s burger, I didn’t like it. Unlike the other places, they put mustard (and ketchup) on their burgers. Mustard? I told my friends that this McDonald’s is not going to last. As time went by I watched the sign say “One Million Sold”, then “Two Million Sold”, etc.

I grew accustomed to mustard and ketchup on burgers and actually liked it. The other two hamburger joints went out of business as McDonald’s remained. Some of my friends worked there during their school years. One stayed there and became a manager.

I saw the movie “The Founder” starring Michael Keaton and enjoyed the movie.

Gryneos
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 2,107

I can remember getting the mustard-burger at Whataburger growing up (when they had that A-frame style building and were often drive up like Sonic today) along with lots of chopped onions. Heaven!

But, ketchup on a burger? Never. That’s a northern thing. Ketchup only goes on fries, and meatloaf for some reason 😄

Meat isn’t on the menu anymore, but I still use mustard with the faux meats I like. Maybe it’s just a Texas thing 🙂

The people-to-cake ratio is too high.

djean111
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 8,337

Except, for no reason I can think of, scrapple.  Scrapple fried until it is crisp and brown on the outside.  I love a nice medium rare burger with Dijon mustard and plenty of black pepper and maybe a whisp of garlic, though, but not likely to show up at McDonald’s.  Anyway, when I was growing up, we were too poor to have a car OR go to McDonald’s, so I never went to fast food places until I was married and moved from Philly (Charlie’s Hamburgers, in Delaware County, PA, was the mecca for  burgers when I started working, and one did not EVER mention ketchup when ordering.), to central Illinois, and then I became a Steak’n’Shake fan.  Still no ketchup.  I have tried Big Macs, but the “special sauce” always disagrees with my digestive system.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

"Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives, I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do? Then I ask myself, 'How well does that reason explain what they say and what they do?'" GRRM

A YouTube comment – we need new conspiracy theories – the old ones have all come true.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 9,381

McD’s fish sandwiched got me through college.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,469

Hitler 1944: Kiev is to be held to the last man.
      Biden 2022: Kiev is to be held to the last Ukrainian.

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,150

I’ve even eaten at McDonalds in Ukraine and Russia. It also does taste better there – both countries have stricter rules on preservatives and food quality.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.